I have a 90's era Squier P-Bass, not a fan of the huge P-Bass neck. Would probably swap out the neck, pickups (rout out for a MM HB), pickguard, bridge, pots, paint job, the works. So basically a body, is it worth a dam?
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy? You had alot to say. You had alot of nothing to say. Come down. Get off your ****in cross. We need the ****in space to nail the next fool martyr. To ascend you must die. You must be crucified for your sins and your lies. Goodbye...
All that to salvage a Squier? Buy a new bass that does what you want it to.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Nov 26, 2013,
It's probably cheaper to buy a new bass with those specs than to do it yourself.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Quote by Spanner93
It's probably cheaper to buy a new bass with those specs than to do it yourself.

Yeap. You'll barely spend any more (if not less) to buy a new bass that does what you want, and you'll have a better/more valuable instrument at the end of it all.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Wow. I thought you were gonna say pickup swap. I would have said yes. Major body routing and such, probably not. Although you can probably find a second hand neck to swap out for not a lot, it may not be worth it as you won't be able to see if its any better than your current one.
If you look around, you can find an unfinished Pbass body for under $100.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I don't mind doing the work (and the wife won't let me buy a new bass). I just have a P-bass that is not getting any use. So basically asking is there anything wrong with the body or any reason to not upgrade the body?
Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy? You had alot to say. You had alot of nothing to say. Come down. Get off your ****in cross. We need the ****in space to nail the next fool martyr. To ascend you must die. You must be crucified for your sins and your lies. Goodbye...
Quote by bassplr19
I don't mind doing the work (and the wife won't let me buy a new bass). I just have a P-bass that is not getting any use. So basically asking is there anything wrong with the body or any reason to not upgrade the body?

If the wife won't let you *buy* a new bass, why don't you try either a part trade or trade for something that you do like. With what you have in mind, and considering your complaint, modifying this bass is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
^^Because most wives have no idea what the parts cost. Guitar = expensive. Plus, it could be more fun to upgrade and change the bass yourself.

I will amend my first post: monetarily it may not be worth it, but personal cost to you could be very much worth it. And you could learn alot about the instrument if you haven't done it before.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I'm usually a proponent for upgrading basses, but not that much. My Squier has an unusually great playing neck and fretwork. Maybe something was done to it before I got it. That being said, it was well worth it for me to upgrade mine.
So you would pretty much upgrade all parts except the body? Not worth it unless you know exactly what you are after. Sell the bass and buy a new one.

Though I agree that it could be fun.

And if you upgrade it one part at the time, you can pretty much buy a whole new bass that way.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
When people self build the bit they usually salvage from a bass is the neck, which is the bit that is most difficult to make yourself. The body is really little more than a lump of wood if you are going to re-shape it. You would probably be better to start off with a neck you like and sell your bass to pay for one with a neck you want to keep. A new neck is going to cost more than a second hand bass and this is why people are advising you to do this a different way. It's as if you said you wanted to adapt a broom and you were going to replace the handle and the head, just buy a new broom.
If you've got an itch to mod your guitar and put some stuff together think about putting something together with parts from Warmoth or USACG. Ask for a quartersawn maple neck and you'll have an instrument that will last many lifetimes. You can ask for alternate pickup routing and other customisations which would be difficult and expensive to do on an already built instrument.
The money you'll put in to the Squier wont really be worth it. If you really want to do it we can't stop you obviously, just make sure it's a bass you want to keep. The money you put in to upgrades doesn't carry over into it's resale value, if anything it hurts it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by bassplr19
(and the wife won't let me buy a new bass)

Leave her.

No joke.
My main question was is there anything wrong with the body? Like what's the difference between it and a MIM or American Fender. And if I paint it, does some minor imperfections (read a little bit about filler) matter. On Warmoth a new P-Bass body with no flashy features would be $185.

Side note:
I played Music Man Select Emerald Sparkle Series Sterling HH and fell in love. Unfortunately, it was $1800 and now it's sold. But I'm thinking about Warmoth'ing a similar bass
Quote by bassplr19
My main question was is there anything wrong with the body? Like what's the difference between it and a MIM or American Fender. And if I paint it, does some minor imperfections (read a little bit about filler) matter. On Warmoth a new P-Bass body with no flashy features would be $185.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Squier PBass body. It's probably made of Alder, if it's an Affinity, and probably multiple pieces glued together vs. the higher-end bodies that are 1- or 2-piece.

Read about body woods here: http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Options/WoodDescriptions.aspx

Gigging volumes, room acoustics, PUs, amps, speaker cabs, and playong style will all be variables to your over-all sound.

Also, as long as you follow the finishing protocols, the filler/minor imperfections will probably have a minor impact to your sound. I'd go for it.