Dear UG,

It has been several years since I last played an electric guitar. I missed it, and managed to pick up a very cheap Yamaha Pacifica 012 in the Amazon Black Friday deals. I've heard it is a very suitable basic guitar.

The issue is, I have no idea what I'm doing with regards to finding a suitable amp. I only have experience with two: a very high quality Roland Acoustic AC-60 and a terrible 15W Behringer.

So what am I looking for? Well, I won't be gigging. It will only be used in a living/dining room, around the house. If it can handle more though, great I suppose. I really would like something with good quality components though - future-proof. I don't mind spending more for quality.

I don't really have a style of playing, or genre preference - so something versatile is necessary. Maybe the most helpful way of doing this would be to suggest in price categories? I.e. What would you recommend:

1) < £100 / $160
2) < £200 / $320
3) < £300 / $480

Thank you for your help in advance. I'll be reading every post carefully.
Yamaha Pacifica 012 Natural
Martin 00CXAE Electro Acoustic
Fender Mustang II, Peavey Vypyr 30, Vox VT40+, Roland Cube

These are all modeling amps so the variety of sounds is huge and they have built in FX you can use
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd say get the Mustang III if you go for a mustang, it has a lot more effects/models/presets and a better user interface.

Also, if you get a Vypyr get the Tube 60.

Aww yeah, and Yamaha THRs are pretty cool, too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
+1 for the Yamaha THR (it'll match your guitar). It has the best tone imo of all the amps mentioned.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
....yeah...name a few songs you wanna play and mabye people can zoom in on something that will suite you.

I had a vox vt 50 to begin with and build quality and tone was perfect for starters until I found exactly what dirrection I wanted to go in tone wise...then I was just stuck like most every one else on ac30 until I could afford to trade up....
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Well this has got confusing fairly quickly! Since I play on my own, and listen to pretty much anything from classical to punk (with the possible exception of Metal and Jazz), I thought it was necessary to have something versatile.

But to help narrow it down, I'd love to replicate some of the crisp sounds in, say, Radiohead's Street Spirit... and some REM songs too.

I homed in on the Cube straight away because I was familiar with Roland. I found the 40XL for £150. I like the look of the Vox too. But let's face it, all the amps you've suggested are very positive reviewed - so it's awkward to differentiate between them at my level of understanding.
Look at the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2. It has models for guitar, bass & acoustic guitar, as well as some nice FX. Paired with a Sanpera controller, it's pretty damn future proof. I have a VIP 3 for use in my room, and it's a really great practice amp to have. One small amp for guitar and bass is wonderful.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by punchadonkey
Well this has got confusing fairly quickly! Since I play on my own, and listen to pretty much anything from classical to punk (with the possible exception of Metal and Jazz), I thought it was necessary to have something versatile.

But to help narrow it down, I'd love to replicate some of the crisp sounds in, say, Radiohead's Street Spirit... and some REM songs too.

I homed in on the Cube straight away because I was familiar with Roland. I found the 40XL for £150. I like the look of the Vox too. But let's face it, all the amps you've suggested are very positive reviewed - so it's awkward to differentiate between them at my level of understanding.

Iirc jonny greenwood used an older fender ss amp for a lot of that album. I forget the model but I'm sure they're affordable and the info can be found with a google search. Check it out, it may be a good amp for pedals/multifx.

Its a Fender 85.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Nov 26, 2013,
My recommendations are the Vox AC4C1, Fender Excelsior or Rampart (maybe Vaporizer), Hayden Lil' Mofo, and Blackstar HT-1 or HT-5. My #1 pick is the Vox though. The Fenders are pretty good too. The Vox is pretty much a Top Boost channel in a small package whereas the Fenders are pretty strange and unique but they sound good. If you're not looking to go from cleans to metal, I wouldn't go with modelling. You can get something pretty good for the price.

I picked those amps because they're future-proof in that they have recording applications and they do what they intend to do well. Most modelling amps in that price range are nothing more than practice amps. A better modelling amp will always come out in a few years and at the same price. But a better version of one of those tube amps won't. You might get different but it's not meant to be an update. If you're recording an album 20 years from now, you might pull out the AC4 or one of the Fender Pawn Shops, but I highly doubt there will be a place for a 20 year old cheap modelling amp.
if you want to stay as cheap as possible, the vox mini3 is pretty nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you for all the replies. There are so many to consider. I've really taken to the Yamaha THR10 - because it seems like it would be suitable for my electro-acoustic guitars too, based on its 'acoustic mode'. It also seems smaller than many of the others suggested - something that is a real benefit to me in a small house.
Quote by punchadonkey
Thank you for all the replies. There are so many to consider. I've really taken to the Yamaha THR10 - because it seems like it would be suitable for my electro-acoustic guitars too, based on its 'acoustic mode'. It also seems smaller than many of the others suggested - something that is a real benefit to me in a small house.

I think it also works with an interface and comes with a free version of Cubase, which is a pretty good deal IMO.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100