What is the difference? I have been attacked on numerous occasions in which I so naively mistook my favorite group, As I Lay Dying, as being Metalcore. What the **** is Post-Hardcore?
Metalcore is a catch-all term for garbage, so As I Lay Dying are definitely metalcore and not post-hardcore. I don't even know what post-hardcore is.
I believe the difference has something to do with metalcore guys doing body weight squats on stage whilst playing the lowest note on their instrument in jarring sequences whilst post-hardcore guys like to jog on the spot whilst playing either the first fret on their lowest string (VERY RARE and can be considered tech post hardcore ) or the lowest fret consistently
From my perspective the bands that formed the original metalcore style (e.g. Botch, Converge) are post hardcore with metal riffs (post hardcore being bands like Fugazi and Rites of Spring). The bands that have more recently been called metalcore (e.g. Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine) are mostly (pop) rock bands with some metal and post hardcore aesthetics for edginess.

Anyone who knows more about this can feel free to correct me though.
inb4 Sam and ChemicalFire

But they both have to do with either really tight or really loose pants (and so do metalcore and post-hardcore)
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by Espada4
What is the difference? I have been attacked on numerous occasions in which I so naively mistook my favorite group, As I Lay Dying, as being Metalcore. What the **** is Post-Hardcore?

Alright, tater. Let me lay it down like a fat beat for ya.

What you know as Metalcore is wrong and you should look down at your shoes in disagrace. You will then ask; "gee mister morph, what is metalcore?" in a thick, cockneye accent. I'll tell you:

Metalcore is bands like Converge or Integrity; bands that play a form of Hardcore music that sprinkles in different types of Metal riffs. Like a Hardcore cake with Metal frosting.

Now the bands you think are Hardcore, well, little guy, most of them are just really generic Metal and/or Rock bands, I'm afraid. Everything As I Lay Dying does is nothing but a shallow interpretation of what In Flames did in the '90's. Trivium, for many of their albums, simply take riffs from Metallica and later At The Gates to create their fluffy, in-yo-face, music. Asking Alexandria take the pedal riffs by Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine and add in extremely generic EDM parts with extremely generic Modern Alternative Rock parts and make an amalgam of funny scene music. I hope this explains to you what Metalcore is and what these bands are, cupcake.

Now, Post-Hardcore? Well! That's a term that gets thrown around so often you'd think everyone on the interwebs were all-star league baseball players. Really, though, it's At The Drive-In or Fugazi, or bands like that.

You may have noticed that I really didn't explain what Metalcore and Post-Hardcore are in much detail, but I must inform that you'll never know by me just telling you what they are, you have to find out for yourself! So, go listen to those bands and travel down the rabbit hole of good music.

xoxoxo

<3
Post-Hardcore was originally awesome bands like Nomeansno, The Jesus Lizard, Helmet and so forth. Then it was co-opted as a marketing term for snoozy screamo bands.

Metalcore was originally awesome bands like Biohazard and Sick of it All, then it was co-opted as a marketing term for slightly heavier snoozy screamo bands.

That is the difference.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by Kytokinesis
inb4 Sam and ChemicalFire

ALL ABOARD THE CORE TRAIN. CHUUG CHUUUUUG.

But srsly though I can't be bothered right now.

Edit:

What Metalcore used to mean:

What now would be called Metallic Hardcore; Metal + Hardcore, i.e. Converge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV4x5DsES9w

What Metalcore means now:

Watered down Melodic Death Metal / endless breakdowns that has NOTHING to do with Hardcore. Name shift occurred to stupid people not knowing that they were talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YunuUq0hCKw

What Post-Hardcore used to mean:

Botch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brqZ6jZiOFE

What Post-Hardcore means now:

Modern Metalcore with ambient sections and/or electronics, normally with really shitty clean vocals too, ooooo so zany and original, said no one ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttf8dsd3B3U

Basically people twisted genres because they're dumb and now most genre names basically mean **** all.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 27, 2013,
Metal is like an apple, you throw away the core.

Am I right?

Yeah, I'm totally right.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
^Your usertitle is a lie.

I am indeed the King of Bacon Pancakes, do you doubt my power?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The smell of virginity off this thread is incredible.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.