Hi, folks. Hope I'm in the right forum.

Basically, I'm writing a paper connecting heavy metal and classical music. I'm writing about how a lot of metal musicians (Rhodes, Malmsteen, etc) draw from classical technique and influence in their music. I want to go full circle and talk about modern classical composers who do the opposite and incorporate metal into their work.
Problem is, I don't know any composers from the who fit the bill. I don't know any composers who were around the past 30 years, for that matter.

Anyone know of any? Any classical composer or piece (obviously has to be relatively recent) that draws upon heavy metal music will do.

Thanks!
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Umm, Trans Siberian Orchestra blends the whole rock and classical thing sort of, that's about as close as you are probably gonna get though in my opinion unless you look at Yngwie's concerto.
What are you defining a Classical composer as?
Like any genre of music there are tons of subgenres (typically defined by the era): Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century, Contemporary, etc. You might even be including Soundtrack/ Score music as Classical, even though most hardcore Classical fans would disagree with such a distinction. Just like many Metal fans get picky when someone calls Def Leppard as Heavy Metal, or calling Metal bands as just Rock.

Also, I think you would be better off talking about Rock in general in stead of Heavy Metal. From a compositional standpoint they are nearly identical, especially in bands like Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and Iron Maiden. That way you have more music to draw from, and can more easily point out pieces of music that have a Rock/Metal influence.

As for examples you can use...
Do you consider Soundtrack/ Score music as Classical? Because Clint Mansell definitely utilizes Rock stylings in many of his compositions. One strong example of his would be music from the Fountain. Those pieces contain very strong Rock (and by extension Metal) influences.
Another example would be the Symphonic Theater of Dreams. While not original compositions, Michał Mierzejewski re-arranges Dream Theater (a Progressive Metal band) songs into Classically styled orchestra pieces. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it is Metal meets Classical.
Also, if you look into the realm of Progressive Rock/ Metal you will find tons of musicians who really utilize Classical techniques quite well. Examples include: Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), Isildur's Bane, Gentle Giant, Atlas, Dream Theater (on the more elaborate and technical tracks), Haken, etc. Just food for thought.
Check out Bruce Falcouner's work on the DBZ series. There is quite a bit of metal influence. That aside, he is a brilliant composer whose work is dynamic, engaging, and manages to capture the highs and lows of many emotions.
You are treading a fine line there my friend.

On the one hand, you can wonder "Hmmm I wonder if heavy metal has had any influence on contemporary composers?" and let that drive you to examine contemporary composers and critically examine any evidence to suggest heavy metal has had an influence on them. Then after a critical examination of the evidence you could draw conclusions based on careful consideration of the evidence.

However, if you have already formulated your conclusion "I want to argue that heavy metal has influenced contemporary composers and am looking for evidence to support this conclusion." Then you are in danger of committing a common, intellectually dishonest, academic mistake called confirmation bias. This is where you decide on the conclusion you believe or want to believe and then look for evidence that supports that conclusion.

I'm not saying you are doing this but just be careful that you are not formulating a conclusion on the grounds that it would provide nice symmetry to your essay.

It is an interesting idea though. You might open with the classical influence on heavy metal then go on to wonder, has heavy metal had any influence on contemporary symphonic composers? You could then examine any relationships and look for influences in the music.

I know that symphonies have given concerts using arrangements of the music of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Some composers have been hired by metal bands to write parts to their songs. I believe Metallica hired a composer to write some parts for Nothing Else Matters.

However such crossovers might be intriguing they do not indicate any direct influence on the composers of today and the music they create. For that you really have to do some musical analysis of both genres of music and look for clear examples of musical devices that are common to heavy metal being introduced into the music of certain composers.

It's an interesting idea and hopefully some people here have some good examples that will be useful. Just be sure to start with a question as opposed to a conclusion.
Si
The answer is none.

You're probably better off looking at soundtrack composers.
Well. Unless some of the great composers used a time-machine to look for inspiration, they were most likely not influenced by metal since that genre was developed much later.
However, there are composers/pianists that play in metal bands and also write classical music.
The two I can think of are Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) and Michael Pinnella (Symphony X).
Frank Zappa could play some bitchin' riffs, but he was also a serious composer.
modern classical (read: mid-20th century atonal/microtonal) is a lot more metal than anything you've probably heard if you still find relevance in randy rhoads or malmsteen
most of the modern classical Ive heard sounds like metal being bashed anyway so in that sense, yes they do use metal.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
I'm not sure what you want the closest thing I can think about "classical composers" that uses metal influences in their music are soundtrack composers, especially video game composers: Nobuo Uematsu has a lot of songs that show metal influences, one example being one of his most famous songs, "One winged angel". He also has, if I'm not mistaken, his own heavy metal band (the black mages) that rearrange his own songs into metal versions and play them live. Michiru Yamane (Castlevania soundtrack) has some heavy songs too, but normally they are more in the vein of Bach (especially his darker compositions)