I have a guitar (not brand name, parents got it for me without any knowledge on guitars whatsoever) and I don't know the radius on the neck, but I know I hate it.

My friend has a large radius, or "flat-necked" guitar, and I was wondering where I could get one? Or what I even look for?

I've heard that Gibson/Ibanez guitars have the larger radius but I was wondering if I could get some help from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Thanks guys!
Normally, "radius" refers to the amount of curvature of the fretboard. If you drew, say, a 7" circle, and cut a fretboard-sized chunk out it, the fretboard would have a 7" radius.
Some fretboards, like most all classic guitars, have none at all...They are just flat boards.

Now neck cross-section is something else entirely and refers to the overall shape of the neck. Some are flatter, some are rounder. Some are V-shaped.
Matter of preference. As to which brands have what....Well, they're all a bit different, even within models from the same company.
Best you can normally do is go to a big shop and handle a bunch of guitars. See what feels good.
Normally I have some unique and brilliant advice for guys like you who aren't sure what they are looking for, but Bikewer nailed it pretty good, so I have very little to add. I've bought and sold dozens of guitars in my lifetime, and I can't think of a single time when I set out to buy a guitar based on certain specifications. I play a bunch and find one that I like.
Quote by Bikewer
Normally, "radius" refers to the amount of curvature of the fretboard. If you drew, say, a 7" circle, and cut a fretboard-sized chunk out it, the fretboard would have a 7" radius.
Some fretboards, like most all classic guitars, have none at all...They are just flat boards.

Now neck cross-section is something else entirely and refers to the overall shape of the neck. Some are flatter, some are rounder. Some are V-shaped.
Matter of preference. As to which brands have what....Well, they're all a bit different, even within models from the same company.
Best you can normally do is go to a big shop and handle a bunch of guitars. See what feels good.

Thank you so much! I guess I'll just have to go into guitar center and mess around and see what I like. Thanks so much for your help!
"Normal radius", at least these days, as about 12" to 14" inches. Some model Martins still have dead flat necks, but they're really pricey.

The only really sharp radius necks these days are mostly on Fender Strat and Tele models. These are about 9". Fender also has ,"normal radius", models of these guitars as well.

Many nylon strung classical guitars have dead flat necks

I'm not the last word on on which make has which radius necks. But, pick any brand, and you can usually find that info in the spec pages of their offerings.

For example Seagull: http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.html

(This is one of the best spec sheets going though).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 28, 2013,