So, I've been playing a Marshall vintage modern through a 1960a cab for a while now, and I've found some great tones.

only problem is that i'm tired of lugging around a 4x12 cab!

I'm thinking about regressing to a 2x12 cab, and i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I also play a egnator renegade 2x12 combo, and I love that sound, I understand that they have some 2x12 cabs...anyways any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cream fan club member #11.
how many watts is your VM?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Renegade 2x12 combos have a v30 and an "elite-80" made exclusively for them.
Now, I'm no real expert here, but I guess they sound something like seventy-80s, so you could get yourself a nice custom unloaded cab and fill it with the speakers you like most (v30 + G12T75 which are found in the Marshall, or v30 + seventy-80 or whatever).
I heard nice things about Zilla cabs so check them out if you're in the UK, or WhiteBox if you're in the USA.

If money is a thing, then you can always (as I'm not really succeeding in doing :P) try and find a Harley Benton G212 Vintage and change one of the speakers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
VM is a 50 watt;

and loading up an empty cab isn't a bad idea. I guess i could run my vm through the egnator to see if i like what i hear.

always wanted to try some greenbacks as well-always seemed more classic sounding than my 1960a...
Do you typically mic your cab? If so, why not just buy a 1 x 12? I have some nice, heavy amps myself, but when I play out, I bring a light 1 x 12 and mic it. 50 watts is more than enough to accomplish what I need.
right if it's a 50 watt that gives you more options, so that's nice.

i thought egnater used a higher wattage g12h30 in some of their cabs, but spambot may be right about the 70/80. the 70/80 is a bit meh, though, i wouldn't get it through choice and yeah either a greenback or a g12h30 should be more vintage-sounding than g12t75s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Marshall 1936. Easy peasy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc
right if it's a 50 watt that gives you more options, so that's nice.

i thought egnater used a higher wattage g12h30 in some of their cabs, but spambot may be right about the 70/80. the 70/80 is a bit meh, though, i wouldn't get it through choice and yeah either a greenback or a g12h30 should be more vintage-sounding than g12t75s.

The other speaker in their renegade cab is called "renegade elite-80", and it's stated it's made by celestion.
I felt they could sound like seventy-80s because of the similar name, I have no real idea how they sound :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
+1 to a 112 cab.

If you're main beef with using a 412 is the fact that it s bitch to lug around, a 212 isn't going to be a huge improvement.

A 412 is definitely a little more awkward to move around, vehicle space wise, but a 212 isn't a hell of a lot lighter; if you're worried about weight.

At least that's my opinion, from my experience with my mesa 212 and randall 212+115 (same size as a 412). Granted my mesa is probably a little heavier then a lot of other 212's.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Spambot_2

I felt they could sound like seventy-80s because of the similar name,

Oh yeah that absolutely could be true I know fender uses a G12p80, for example, and as far as i'm aware it's a rebranded 70/80, so it's a definite possibility. Just I thought I'd read somewhere that some of the egnater cabs (maybe not the one you're talking about) used a higher-wattage g12h30-style speaker.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Elite 80 is soposed to be a CL-80 with a slightly different voicing, I thought. But the 70-80 does make sense.

But TS I would look for a Splawn 2x12 with small block/big block combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 28, 2013,
well the cl80 has 80 in the name too, so it could well be that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for all the replies guys.

my biggest complaint about a 4x12 is the space it takes up in a vehicle-tired of the awkward loading etc.

I did look at the marshall options, I guess I was wondering what other options were out there rather than paying almost the same $ for 1/2 the speakers, also hearing some other success/failure stories always helps.

I do mic my cab at most gigs, so i'm not scared about losing that volume drop off.
Quote by P.B.
thanks for all the replies guys.

my biggest complaint about a 4x12 is the space it takes up in a vehicle-tired of the awkward loading etc.

I did look at the marshall options, I guess I was wondering what other options were out there rather than paying almost the same $ for 1/2 the speakers, also hearing some other success/failure stories always helps.

I do mic my cab at most gigs, so i'm not scared about losing that volume drop off.

You're not really going to loose any SPL.

The theory is that whenever you double the sound source (in this case the speakers), you only gain 3dBs. So when you think about it, if an average band is playing somewhere between 70-100dBs, then loosing 3dBs isn't all that much.

You would however likely find that you just don't sound quite as full. This would be because you significantly decreasing the surface area of where the sound is coming from (cab size). This why oversized Mesa cabs usually sound tighter, or a litter fuller then say a Marshall cab.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 29, 2013,
Which bands play at 70dB? 70 dB is about talking volume. Maybe some of the TGP elevator music bands play at that volume level...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Which bands play at 70dB? 70 dB is about talking volume. Maybe some of the TGP elevator music bands play at that volume level...

You're right. My brain got confused as I was writing that sentence.

I should have said that average, low volume practice is likely around 70-85ish dBa's (all depends on how loud you like to practice), and a band setting overall volume is around 95-110ish dBa's, but again, that all depends on how loud you like to play.

I know that some sites or sources that you see may say that discomfort starts around 120dBa, but I think its more like 110 or so (from my experience as a guy who as part of my job has to take dBa readings around various pieces of equipment in an underground mine). I personally put in earplugs whenever the noise level gets above 85dba, altough protection is recommended at any level above 80dBa. We have to use double protection (plugs and muffs) at anything above 105dBa.

So if you take a 3dBa decrease from a practice volume of 80dBa, you're only dcreasing you SPL by less than 4%.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 29, 2013,
I play loud as hell all the time, practice or gigging.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I play loud as hell all the time, practice or gigging.

I like to as well, but unfortunately my Fiancé and neighbours don't appreciate it too much at home I'm soon going to finish my basement, so I'll have a soundproof jam space then

It's a different story at band practice though. We crank our amps and drums up pretty loud, but we all use in ear monitors that block out a lot of the background noise, so it helps to protect our hearing, or in my case, what's left of it
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I like to as well, but unfortunately my Fiancé and neighbours don't appreciate it too much at home I'm soon going to finish my basement, so I'll have a soundproof jam space then

It's a different story at band practice though. We crank our amps and drums up pretty loud, but we all use in ear monitors that block out a lot of the background noise, so it helps to protect our hearing, or in my case, what's left of it

Yeah, I don't use hearing protection, I was born when men were still men
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Yeah, I don't use hearing protection, I was born when men were still men

I use to be like that, until one too many smacks up the side of my head from the misses from saying "WHAT??" to ever 3ed thing she says.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar

I use to be like that, until one too many smacks up the side of my head from the misses from saying "WHAT??" to ever 3ed thing she says.

No I use it to my advantage so when she says something I just ignore her and pretend I didn't hear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No I use it to my advantage so when she says something I just ignore her and pretend I didn't hear

Unfortunately that only worked out for about 6 months for me. But I like your style!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
My vote goes to either a Splawn 212 or an Avatar 212 because that is what I have experience with.

The Avatars are nice because you can pick your style of cab and tolex. I think they start out at around $475. They offer a wide range of speakers as well, including their own brand called Hellatones - which are actually broken in Celestions (G12H30s and Vintage 30s I think). They are decently made. I'd say a bit above average. Probably similar to White Box. Contact Dave. www.avatarspeakers.com

The Splawn cabs are exceptionally well made and start at $575 roughly for a new 212. They have a very broad range of tolex options but a very narrow range of speakers. Most folks run Small blocks or Big block speakers. Those are made by Eminence and now WGS as well. The Small Blocks are based on the Celestion G12M and are 55 watts. That's what I have. Simply some of the best cabs available. Up there with Emperor and Port CIty. Contact Scott at http://splawnguitars.com/cabs.htm

I sold my Avatar 212 cab for the Splawn 212 cab.
Quote by red.guitar

You're right. My brain got confused as I was writing that sentence.

I should have said that average, low volume practice is likely around 70-85ish dBa's (all depends on how loud you like to practice), and a band setting overall volume is around 95-110ish dBa's, but again, that all depends on how loud you like to play.

I know that some sites or sources that you see may say that discomfort starts around 120dBa, but I think its more like 110 or so (from my experience as a guy who as part of my job has to take dBa readings around various pieces of equipment in an underground mine). I personally put in earplugs whenever the noise level gets above 85dba, altough protection is recommended at any level above 80dBa. We have to use double protection (plugs and muffs) at anything above 105dBa.

So if you take a 3dBa decrease from a practice volume of 80dBa, you're only dcreasing you SPL by less than 4%.

Yeah probably. i normally practise between about 80-95dB (but i normally stand outside the room in the hall).

And yeah pain for me would start way below 120dB. Anything much above 90 in a small enough space gets uncomfortable.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?