You know that sound you get when you cup your hand and mouth over a phone speaker when playing a song? If you didn't know about it, go ahead and try it! I want that sound on my guitar amp, preferably without pedals. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Mids at 10, put everything else at zero is my guess...

Not sure though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I don't think he's referring to a boxy sound.

What he is looking for is probably that funny "cup" sound, which is a flanger.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Two things come to my mind based on your description:

either a high/low pass filter (in this case, a wah with the heel all the way down) would give you that cool all-bass sound (if you hold your finger over an iphone speaker it sort of resembles that).

Or.. A talk box. If you put your iphone speaker to your mouth and then re-shape the sound, it has the talk box effect (think Beverly Hills by Weezer solo, or Vicarious by Tool solo).

Those are my best guesses
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

yeah without a pedal i am not sure it is possible. EQ pedal, or some kind of effect is going to do it.

if you get crazy with the requencies of a 7 to 10 band EQ pedal, you can make your tone sound like an old time radio, etc. some weird tricks like that.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Watterboy
a high/low pass filter

low pass filter. it should get the lopsided sound you want.

i also think the ibanez lo-fi pedal offers something like this as well.

also, i think cellphones extensively use Doherty amplifiers in the phone systems that have their own unique distortion. so if you are sending the signal over the phone then maybe these Doherty amplifiers may be producing the tone you want.

Quote by ikey_
yeah without a pedal i am not sure it is possible. EQ pedal, or some kind of effect is going to do it.

agreed, a LP or EQ pedal may do the trick.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."