Hi all , I really need your help on this one!

i want to change resistance of 500k part of Fender dual concentric 250AK/500AK audio potentiometer to 50K . i'm thinking of getting Fender concentric 250aK/500aK pot and Fener 50aK pot and want to swap tapers from 500k to 50k . i'm not sure if swapping tapers would change resistance too . well they are both audio taper so if taper doesn't hold resistances information on them (i'm an amateur )))) than there is no point of changing taper. do i need to change resitive strip in a pot or wiper ?? , again i never opened pot before and i only started googling on this recently so excuse if i'm not making sense.

i've heard that by adding resitors i can change resistance of the pot but it might also mess up taper. also finding 250/50 pot combination isn't easy .i need good functional dual 250ak/50ak pot , pls suggest what do i need to change out of 500k part of 250AK/500AK pot to make it 250AK/50AK

these are pots i'm looking to get!

Mucho Tx !

Concentric 250K/500K Solid Shaft Potentiometer | Controls and Switches Guitar & Bass Parts | Fender®

50K Split Shaft Potentiometer | Controls and Switches Guitar & Bass Parts | Fender®

specs for 250k/500k concentric pot

Top knob Ohms-Taper: 250K-Audio
Bottom knob Ohms-Taper: 500K-Audio
Tolerance: +/-10%
Top Shaft Diameter: 3/16".1875
Bottom Shaft Diameter: 17/64".265
Pot Diameter: 15/16".9375"
Threaded Shaft Length: 1/4".25"
Threaded Shaft Material: Brass
Threaded Shaft Diameter: 3/8".375"
Thread Pitch: 3/8-32NEF

specs for 50k Fener pot : Ohms-Taper: 50K-Audio
Tolerance: +/-15%
Shaft Material: Brass
Shaft Type: Split Knurled
Spline Count (Type): 24 (Fine)
Spline Height: 3/8".375"
Pot Diameter: 15/16".9375"
Threaded Shaft Material: Die-Cast
Threaded Shaft Length: 1/4".25"
Threaded Shaft Diameter: 3/8".375"
Thread Pitch: 3/8-32NEF
Quote by Invader Jim
Are you talking about taking the pots apart and swapping the wafers?

Yes ! are wafers swappable as well as tapers. wafers seems to hold resistance strip on it ? i'm unsure what to swap to change 500ka to 50ka pot ?...
Last edited by Bakuna at Nov 27, 2013,
Just swap the wafers, assuming you can even get them off the shafts. Modern pots are not made to have their parts swapped around.

The taper of a pot is built into the resistive track on the wafer. You can't change the taper without changing the whole wafer.
Quote by Invader Jim
Just swap the wafers, assuming you can even get them off the shafts. Modern pots are not made to have their parts swapped around.

The taper of a pot is built into the resistive track on the wafer. You can't change the taper without changing the whole wafer.

i think i'm getting close... when they talk about swapping tapers they mean swapping whole wafer? is that right?
I should have worded that better. If you want to change the value and taper of the pot, you can use external resistors or swap out the whole wafer. Using resistors is easier because most pots aren't made to be disassembled. The article outlines the procedure.

I'm sorry for the confusion. My head was somewhere else.
Quote by Invader Jim
I should have worded that better. If you want to change the value and taper of the pot, you can use external resistors or swap out the whole wafer. Using resistors is easier because most pots aren't made to be disassembled. The article outlines the procedure.

I'm sorry for the confusion. My head was somewhere else.

aha , actually i'm planning to swap whole wafer . this two fender pots i'm getting are of same diameter and not sealed . messing with resistors will be last resort.
easier to swap wafer , for my situation. i just wasn't sure if taper was on wafer or not!
clear now .

Mucho Tx