I've always owned combos, but recently came into a half stack in trade. Not knowing any better due to ignorance, I was using instrument cables from the amp to the cab. No damage was done, and my folly was pointed out.

I looked through all of my various 1/4" cables, and I found one labeled "audio cable."
Is this safe to use? Or, is "audio cable" synonymous with "speaker cable?"

If it's a speaker cable it will say "speaker cable." Audio cable usually means instrument cable.
I've normally made speaker cables out of mains extension cables.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For bedroom volumes you may get away with instrument cable but as you raise the volume more power gets transferred and the thin-ass wire inside the cable starts to resist and heat up. This can result in disaster. Do not do it!

Speaker cables should be well labeled. Audio cable tells me its meant for instruments and microphones but I may be wrong.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 28, 2013,