Hello friends,
My acoustic guitar's 4th String broke while tuning. Should I change the 4th string or should I replace all of them with new ones. I don't know why It got broke. I always keep my guitar tuned in 'c#'(c#(6th string), F#, B, E, G#, c#(1st string)), If I've to play a song then I tune it high in 'E' but during practice I always keep it in 'c#'. So that I don't have to loosen the string when I am done playing. Actually my guitar teacher told me that, this way he neck part will not bend. Otherwise If we always keep the guitar tuned in E then we have to loosen the string when we done playing otherwise neck will get bend.
Last edited by 22990atinesh at Apr 2, 2014,
It broke because of the tension in it changing while tuning. Guitar strings aren't for life, they are just thin, long pieces of metal for God's sake. Making them vibrate hundreds and thousands of times and having them exposed to sweat from the hands, they will wear out eventually. If a string breaks during tuning, that just means it was a pretty damn old string, and it couldn't handle that last tuning up, since you are essentially tightening it up a little every time.

If you didn't change your strings for a long time, other strings will soon eventually follow. You can change all strings now, or you can just wait until one pops, then replace it. Personally, I change them all every month or two because worn out strings have a much worse sound quality, but that is very personal preference, and I'm on the nitpicky side.

I don't know why your guitar teacher would tell you to detune your guitar... Where did he even hear that? I mean, standard guitars and their necks are created to withstand the tension created when tuned to E standard, maybe because... oh I know, because most of the time, people play in E standard? So why design it so that you must detune it every time after playing, instead of making it so that it stays in E?

You will ultimately do a disservice to yourself if you play songs in E, but practicing in C#... in C#, the strings are much more loose and you won't get used to pressing down the strings hard enough for when you'll need to when playing a song. Ask your teacher who told him about detuning the guitar, and do some research on the topic on your own. You'll probably net better info.
Navi gave good advice, but I'll give you a few pointers.

If 1 strings snaps; replace all of them.
Don't pull them all off at once ,replace them 1 by 1.
Stay in E standard, keeping it in this tuning won't hurt it if it's set up normally.
Guitar strings need changing regardless of whether they're broken or not. The "Elixer Nanowebs" are fantastic though, they feel new for ages.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
^I really don't believe you need to replace the strings one by one. There's nothing wrong with taking them all off. If you need to clean the fretboard, that's the only way to do it.

OP: Your guitar was made to withstand E standard tuning. There's nothing wrong with the guitar neck bending. It was made to handle the force. If all the strings are old, replace them all. if all the strings are relatively new, it's not a big deal if you only change one. The main issue is just that the sound might be unbalanced if the other strings are too old.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.