I'm sure everyone hates these either or posts, but last time I made one I didn't listen to the advice and the used amp I got broke after 4 months of every odd week gigs. Anyway, I'm in need of a gig amp, I play in two groups, so versatility is what's more important than specific tone, that and reliability. One friend of a friend is willing to sell me a peavey deuce vt fromthe early 80s. Its a tube amp and I've heard it is exceptionally loud. I've also heard mixed things about the actual sound. Another friend.of friend is offering a used line 6 spider. I wouldn't use the on board effects, but amp modeling seems cool. Its only two years old. Both are around the same size and wattage . What is the better investment? Thanks!
the Peavey has a solid state preamp and tube power section. they are solid amps and still used by Lynrd Skynrd. not that versitlie but can work well depending on sound you want. most here hate Line 6 amps (except the really high end ones) . knowing what styles of music you play and your needs sound wise would help.
One group is at the drive in style post hardcore, the other is funk/psychedelic.sorry, I should have specified. I didn't know that about skynard, that's really neat!
Last edited by joeker19lc at Nov 28, 2013,
Where are you located and what is your budget?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
northeast Pennsylvania. In a few months I could afford 500-600 dollar set up and probably borrow to get by. As of right now my budget is no more than 300. Between bills and Christmas I can't spare much more for a while. Both amps I mentioned are being offered for 150. Thanks for looking and replying everyone. Ug forums are always helpful.
It seems you need a combo or head and cab, correct?

Look for a used Peavey JSX combo, Laney VC50/100

www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear there are several JSX combos for $519 and $549
Peavey Ultra is also worth a look normally <$300 for the 1x12 or 2x12 combo

Peavey Valveking 1x12 or 2x12 combo are <$300
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2