Hi,

I've been looking around the internet for a couple of weeks now, trying to get a clear picture of what I should actually be looking for; and I'm still quite lost. It seems that a lot of what you read is quite contradictory, and often very biased. I'll summarise my situation briefly -

- I spent the last few years in a few relatively heavy bands, never really dabbling in pedals too much until recently.
- I'm chipping in for my works' band, for events and such, so we're playing very commercial rock, with some older stuff thrown in for good measure.
- I play an equal amount of lead/rhythm in the work band
- My go-to distortion from my previous bands (towards the end, at least, when things got 'grungy') was a Metal Muff through a TS808, which sounds sweet, but really doesn't work for the commercial stuff.
- I still try to keep my pedal count low so that I'm not lugging too much stuff across London.
- I play a Les Paul (Studio) with a Pacifica as a back-up (got to love the value for money, right?)
- I play through a Marshall MG101 somethingorother, combo.

Right, that didn't turn out as brief as I'd hoped.

Basically, after all that, I'm looking for a nice, crunchy distortion pedal that I can use for work stuff and won't break the bank (£150 and below, preferably under £100). Any recommendations/personal experience that could help?

I've been recommended a Big Muff and a HT Dist quite a few times, if anyone has thoughts on them too?
Last edited by cld90 at Nov 28, 2013,
Quote by cld90
Hi,

I've been looking around the internet for a couple of weeks now, trying to get a clear picture of what I should actually be looking for; and I'm still quite lost. It seems that a lot of what you read is quite contradictory, and often very biased. I'll summarise my situation briefly -

- I spent the last few years in a few relatively heavy bands, never really dabbling in pedals too much until recently.
- I'm chipping in for my works' band, for events and such, so we're playing very commercial rock, with some older stuff thrown in for good measure.
- I play an equal amount of lead/rhythm in the work band
- My go-to distortion from my previous bands (towards the end, at least, when things got 'grungy') was a Metal Muff through a TS808, which sounds sweet, but really doesn't work for the commercial stuff.
- I still try to keep my pedal count low so that I'm not lugging too much stuff across London.
- I play a Les Paul (Studio) with a Pacifica as a back-up (got to love the value for money, right?)
- I play through a Marshall MG101 somethingorother, combo.

Right, that didn't turn out as brief as I'd hoped.

Basically, after all that, I'm looking for a nice, crunchy distortion pedal that I can use for work stuff and won't break the bank (£150 and below, preferably under £100). Any recommendations/personal experience that could help?

I've been recommended a Big Muff and a HT Dist quite a few times, if anyone has thoughts on them too?

You're just going to get tons of new amp suggestions.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Well honestly, I think your problem is the amp you have, and not a lack of pedals. (And i had a Marshall MG, so i know what I'm talking about)

So my advice is: Sell your Amp, add that money to your Budget and try to buy a new Amp.
If you decide to go this route please answer these questions to help us give you good advice:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Quote by Fisheth24
You're just going to get tons of new amp suggestions.

That's because what he really needs is a new amp
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
There is no distortion pedal that will work well in front of your MG.

New amp.

In other news "Rookie Distortion" is a great name for a pedal!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Also if you end up going for a new amp, you might as well sell those pedals and put it in the amp budget cuz you won't really need ds/od pedals with a good amp
You would be blown away by what even a mediocre tube amp could do for you. I had an MG 100 halfstack so I know exactly what you're dealing with. I listened to an old recording of my MG the other day (which I thought sounded good at the time). Then I listened to a recent recording of my Peavey 6505+...to make a long story short, I got a good laugh. The amount my 6505 SLAYS the MG is beyond measurement.

For versatility and budget I'd check out Peavey amps. A 6505 might be too 'metal' for you but the JSX or even a Valveking might be worth a serious look. You would never approach either of their tones with pedals through an MG.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
You would be blown away by what even a mediocre tube amp could do for you. I had an MG 100 halfstack so I know exactly what you're dealing with. I listened to an old recording of my MG the other day (which I thought sounded good at the time). Then I listened to a recent recording of my Peavey 6505+...to make a long story short, I got a good laugh. The amount my 6505 SLAYS the MG is beyond measurement.

For versatility and budget I'd check out Peavey amps. A 6505 might be too 'metal' for you but the JSX or even a Valveking might be worth a serious look. You would never approach either of their tones with pedals through an MG.

This so much. Get a tube amp, you won't regret it. I would actually suggest a 6505, even for softer rock, I used to have one and the crunch and mildly distorted tones were actually quite good, it's a very versatile amp.
Amp:
Vox AC30
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster, Fender Jaguar
Keyboards:
Roland Juno 106, Nord Lead 2X, Yamaha DX7
Drums:
Roland TR-707
Quote by Br0c00ler
Also if you end up going for a new amp, you might as well sell those pedals and put it in the amp budget cuz you won't really need ds/od pedals with a good amp

I disagree with some of this. Selling the distortion pedal as well as the MG is a good start. I would keep the TS pedal. Many players regardless of amp run a TS type pedal in front for leads or even to tighten an amp up.
OT: with budget and style we will be able to help you more. And yes you need a new amp, or at least that is where you will see the most difference.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Look man, pedals shape your sound. I had Marshall 100 HDFX w/ cab, so it's a crappy tone. The only thing you could do is play through a nice cab and throw a Tubescreamer in front of it. No pedal is gonna make a Marshall MG have the body and full sound of a tube amp. Sell that thing, rob a crack head, sell unneeded pedals and buy a used tube head. I'm not much of a low gain player so amp suggestions are not my specialty. I'd say used Peavey or maybe a TUBE Marshall. Idk man.
Through a crappy amp pedals aren't going to work. Many times if you have problems with your tone, amp should be the first thing to look at because anything through a bad amp will sound bad. The same pedal can sound different through two different amps.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Br0c00ler

you can always use an OD even with a good amp. a distortion pedal through the clean channel can give you a different sound as well. options for tones is always good.
What you need is a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wow, Fisheth was right...

I can get my hands on a VS-100 for around £100, so I'll probably just do that (second hand, but value, right?).

I'll probably keep the TS and drop the distortion pedal for work stuff, suits me just fine; less to carry.

Thanks for replying folks!
To be honest, I was probably getting that anyway - it's a friends and I kinda wanted it with my other amp being stuck up north.

I'll probably just borrow a better amp from someone - this isn't for a serious thing, it's just for a works band sideshow. I can't really warranty the cost of a good amp for something that isn't truly that important - perhaps I asked the wrong forum, as I kind of feel like everyone missed the point on that a little bit and then it snowballed.

Thanks for your advice anyway guys, and if I ever find myself looking to do something more serious music-wise, then I'll for sure be listening to it, but for the time being I'm just going to get my mates amp (which I actually do like the sound of, as an aside) and potter along.
Quote by cld90
To be honest, I was probably getting that anyway - it's a friends and I kinda wanted it with my other amp being stuck up north.

I'll probably just borrow a better amp from someone - this isn't for a serious thing, it's just for a works band sideshow. I can't really warranty the cost of a good amp for something that isn't truly that important - perhaps I asked the wrong forum, as I kind of feel like everyone missed the point on that a little bit and then it snowballed.

Thanks for your advice anyway guys, and if I ever find myself looking to do something more serious music-wise, then I'll for sure be listening to it, but for the time being I'm just going to get my mates amp (which I actually do like the sound of, as an aside) and potter along.

right tools for the job. you don't have to spend a ton of money on an amp at all. you can get something like a Peavey Valveking used for $200 or less. not expensive and still "better" than what you mentioned. if it's not important than why bother at all?
Quote by cld90
Hi,

I've been looking around the internet for a couple of weeks now, trying to get a clear picture of what I should actually be looking for; and I'm still quite lost.

The reasons you are getting the answers that you are in this thread is because we know what we are talking about.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The reasons you are getting the answers that you are in this thread is because we know what we are talking about.

we do? yeah agree though