Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm looking for post-hardcore that would actually pose some sort of challenge. I've already learned a bunch of songs by The Fall of Troy and Dance Gavin Dance, so I was wondering if the genre had more to offer for somewhat experienced players.

Preferably bands that play in standard/drop d, thanks.
Botch
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
A Lot Like Birds
Hail the Sun
Stolas
Sianvar
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Fear Before The March Of Flames could pose a challenge. Same with Lower Definition.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
Hot Cross has cool guitar parts, somewhat similar to TFoT. Good post-hardcore band too.
Loma Prieta would be a good bet too. Good Luck!
Alesana tends to have cool repetitive guitar riffs and every now and then they add like a 5-second solo. Not exactly hard, but just cool. It's a bit of a change from the usual "CHUG CHUG CHUG CHU-CHU-CHUG." In my opinion, Alesana is one of the most technical post-hardcore bands out there. Not hard-technical. Just good-technical. Fun-technical.
Sleeping with Sirens also has a couple of cool riffs but nothing hard.

Underoath songs also tend to be good and fun to play.

Though if you're really looking for a challenge, check out The Word Alive. Though they're not post-hardcore. They're Metalcore. But they're songs are harder than your average metalcore songs. For example: The Hounds of Anubis by The Word Alive.
Quote by Firefox1095
Alesana tends to have cool repetitive guitar riffs and every now and then they add like a 5-second solo. Not exactly hard, but just cool. It's a bit of a change from the usual "CHUG CHUG CHUG CHU-CHU-CHUG." In my opinion, Alesana is one of the most technical post-hardcore bands out there. Not hard-technical. Just good-technical. Fun-technical.

No stop.

Quote by Firefox1095

Seriously, stop.

Quote by Firefox1095

Okay, Underoath isn't too bad. Definitely a very influential metalcore band.

Quote by Firefox1095
Though if you're really looking for a challenge, check out The Word Alive. Though they're not post-hardcore. They're Metalcore. But they're songs are harder than your average metalcore songs. For example: The Hounds of Anubis by The Word Alive.

Stop again.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
I don't think anyone with a proper taste in music cares about the opinion of a person whose name is a mixture of Synyster Gates and M. Shadows, thank you very much. Now you can crawl back into your cave and listen to your mainstream "influential" crap.
Quote by Firefox1095
I don't think anyone with a proper taste in music cares about the opinion of a person whose name is a mixture of Synyster Gates and M. Shadows, thank you very much. Now you can crawl back into your cave and listen to your mainstream "influential" crap.

You're new here. I get it. A lot can change in 6-7 years. Do you even know what my avatar is?
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by Firefox1095

I just want to know something; are you insinuating that you listen to more underground music than him?
Quote by Firefox1095

oh lol

Also can I point out your Green Day avatar real quick, if you wanna go that route?
Quote by synestershadows
You're new here. I get it. A lot can change in 6-7 years. Do you even know what my avatar is?

pls, I doubt he even knows who the band in your user title (i.e. Mis Sigs) is.
Last edited by ManInTheBox14 at Dec 2, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I just want to know something; are you insinuating that you listen to more underground music than him?

I'm not insinuating anything. I listen to mainstream music and I admit it. But I didn't ask him about his opinion on the bands I listen to and I didn't read any where on this thread that the bands I list will be judged by a bunch of moronic a7x fanboys. And why are you defending him anyway? Never knew you were allowed to have lawyers on these forums.

Quote by ManInTheBox14
oh lol

Also can I point out your Green Day avatar real quick, if you wanna go that route?

pls, I doubt he even knows who the band in your user title (i.e. Mis Sigs) is.

Abandon All Life
But I don't quite get what you're trying to prove here. Are you insinuating that by putting an underground band's (nails) album cover, you are automatically underground? Is this seriously a debate of who is more underground? Because if it is, that doesn't make you too underground, now does it? Yes, my avatar is Green Day. Yes, I very much love Green Day. I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean I could just change my avatar to, I don't know, Ouroburo's Glorification of a Myth album cover. You wouldn't even know I listen to Green Day. But here's the difference.. I'm not a poser. If I like a band, I'll say I like that band. Generally speaking, I wouldn't have anything against A7X fans. A7X sucks and everything, but hey they don't affect me in any way. But when some dumb*ss with the slightest knowledge of music starts judging the music I listen to, then you know something is wrong.
As to whether or not he's underground, that doesn't concern me an I couldn't care less. All I'm saying is, a person who really is underground wouldn't go around boasting about he's more underground than others..especially not with a name like SysterShadows.
Last edited by Firefox1095 at Dec 3, 2013,
Quote by Firefox1095
I'm not insinuating anything. I listen to mainstream music and I admit it. But I didn't ask him about his opinion on the bands I listen to and I didn't read any where on this thread that the bands I list will be judged by a bunch of moronic a7x fanboys. And why are you defending him anyway? Never knew you were allowed to have lawyers on these forums.

PS: Abandon All Life
But I don't quite get what you're trying to prove here. Are you insinuating that by putting an underground band's (nails) album cover, you are automatically underground? Is this seriously a debate of who is more underground? Because if it is, that doesn't make you too underground, now does it?

Just get out of this forum wow. He's pointing out that your giving Syn shit for his username when it's pretty obvious he listens to different music now. Also ragging on A7X while recommending Alesana and Underoath makes no sense.
Quote by RawrSlinky
Just get out of this forum wow. He's pointing out that your giving Syn shit for his username when it's pretty obvious he listens to different music now. Also ragging on A7X while recommending Alesana and Underoath makes no sense.

Hmm well I guess you should scroll up a bit and see who started the ragging.
Quote by Firefox1095

Abandon All Life
But I don't quite get what you're trying to prove here. Are you insinuating that by putting an underground band's (nails) album cover, you are automatically underground? Is this seriously a debate of who is more underground? Because if it is, that doesn't make you too underground, now does it? Yes, my avatar is Green Day. Yes, I very much love Green Day. I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean I could just change my avatar to, I don't know, Ouroburo's Glorification of a Myth album cover. You wouldn't even know I listen to Green Day. But here's the difference.. I'm not a poser. If I like a band, I'll say I like that band. Generally speaking, I wouldn't have anything against A7X fans. A7X sucks and everything, but hey they don't affect me in any way. But when some dumb*ss with the slightest knowledge of music starts judging the music I listen to, then you know something is wrong.
As to whether or not he's underground, that doesn't concern me an I couldn't care less. All I'm saying is, a person who really is underground wouldn't go around boasting about he's more underground than others..especially not with a name like SysterShadows.

See, here's the thing; you recommended a couple bands who didn't have anything to do with post-hardcore and that the regs in this forum generally view as being of poor quality. Synystershadows pointed this out in his usual harsh fashion.
I don't agree with the way he replied to you, but I also don't agree with you assuming he's a fan of a band because his, almost, 7 year old username references them.

You should totes go to the rec thread and dictionary and check out the bands there to become more knowledgeable on Hardcore music. :3
Quote by Morphogenesis26
See, here's the thing; you recommended a couple bands who didn't have anything to do with post-hardcore and that the regs in this forum generally view as being of poor quality. Synystershadows pointed this out in his usual harsh fashion.
I don't agree with the way he replied to you, but I also don't agree with you assuming he's a fan of a band because his, almost, 7 year old username references them.

You should totes go to the rec thread and dictionary and check out the bands there to become more knowledgeable on Hardcore music. :3

Alesana, SwS, and Underoath aren't post-hardcore? Hmmm... I mean I could understand how Underoath could be considered not Post-Hardcore. They did shift from one genre to another quite a few times. And I could also see how SwS could be considered not Post-Hardcore (even though they had their p-h moments), but I can't see how Alesana isn't considered Post-Hardcore. If Alesana isn't considered Post-Hardcore (especially pre-A Place Where the Sun is Silent), I can't see what would pass as Post-Hardcore around here.
Quote by Firefox1095
Alesana, SwS, and Underoath aren't post-hardcore? Hmmm... I mean I could understand how Underoath could be considered not Post-Hardcore. They did shift from one genre to another quite a few times. And I could also see how SwS could be considered not Post-Hardcore (even though they had their p-h moments), but I can't see how Alesana isn't considered Post-Hardcore. If Alesana isn't considered Post-Hardcore (especially pre-A Place Where the Sun is Silent), I can't see what would pass as Post-Hardcore around here.

Some random bands that would pass as post-hardcore here are: At the Drive-In, Alexisonfire, The Blood Brothers, Drive Like Jehu, The Fall of Troy, Fugazi, Glassjaw, Hopesfall, La Dispute, A Lot Like Birds, Lower Definition, Poison The Well, and Touché Amoré. Those are just a handful.
Last edited by Dust_and_Guilt at Dec 3, 2013,
Abandon All Life

I think you reverse image searched that.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by synestershadows
I think you reverse image searched that.

Yes I could totally make out the words on that 80x80 picture and search it. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time here with you...
Quote by Firefox1095

Take a look at Dust_And_Guilt's list of bands and listen to them. You'll have to learn the difference between the bands to know why those bands aren't quite Post-Hardcore.

Also, I don't know what that avatar is either.
Pretty sure it's the last NAILS album... even I know that...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yes I could totally make out the words on that 80x80 picture and search it. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time here with you...

Yer clueless m8.

>Right click on image
>Search Google for this image

bam.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by Firefox1095

Stuff that you posted in the first wave of bands that were miss-labelled as Post-Hardcore by people who don't know what they're talking about. They're mostly just whiny rock or nu-metalcore bands.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
SWS is pop.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by Firefox1095
Hmm well I guess you should scroll up a bit and see who started the ragging.

You did, homeslice. Synester was just pointing out that you were factually wrong. Also, I pointed out your avatar because you judged his taste based on an old username and assumed that it stripped any musical credibility from him, while you think you know a lot about underground music but have an avatar that is of a similarly
Quote by firefox1095
mainstream "influential"

band. I wasn't criticizing your taste, I was pointing out your hypocrisy.

Also, Dust_and_Guilt's list is really good. If you want a good starting point, listen to A Lot Like Birds' great new album, which may be more palatable to you compared to some of the older stuff on his list.

And yeah, some people in this forum may respond harshly if you say something uneducated. As you can see, though, posters are more than willing to help you find new music that actually fits in the genre you're misidentifying. But don't keep spouting shit if you're going to ignore it and stay ignorant on the topic.
Quote by ManInTheBox14
You did, homeslice. Synester was just pointing out that you were factually wrong. Also, I pointed out your avatar because you judged his taste based on an old username and assumed that it stripped any musical credibility from him, while you think you know a lot about underground music but have an avatar that is of a similarly

Posting, "stop, no like fo realz u shud stop bro" isn't pointing out that someone is wrong. It's acting like a condescending douchebag. They both responded to each other like idiots.
Okay, so Botch, Hail the Sun, A Lot Like Birds, Stolas, Sianvar, Fear Before, Lower Definition, Hot Cross, Loma Prieta.

Any other suggestions? The more advanced/difficult/technical, the better
Quote by ManInTheBox14
Also, Dust_and_Guilt's list is really good. If you want a good starting point, listen to A Lot Like Birds' great new album, which may be more palatable to you compared to some of the older stuff on his list.

Man, if you're going to rec an A Lot Like Birds album, rec Conversation Piece. No Place is so hard to get into compared to that album.
Quote by chinesewhispers
Okay, so Botch, Hail the Sun, A Lot Like Birds, Stolas, Sianvar, Fear Before, Lower Definition, Hot Cross, Loma Prieta.

Did you listen to any of those bands yet or what kind of list even is this

If you did give us opinions

If you didn't then, I don't know.... do? And then give us opinions.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Did you listen to any of those bands yet or what kind of list even is this

If you did give us opinions

If you didn't then, I don't know.... do? And then give us opinions.

Botch is a little heavy, but I like their guitar work. Most of the bands recommended seem like DGD/TFoT-lite. Fear Before doesn't seem too difficult, I loved Loma Prieta. So yeah
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Man, if you're going to rec an A Lot Like Birds album, rec Conversation Piece. No Place is so hard to get into compared to that album.

Haha I haven't even heard Conversation Piece. I just checked out No Place when it came out cause of the hype and really enjoyed it.
The exact words when I showed a buddy of mine the track "No Nature" was "It's only been 3 seconds but I already really like this."

I don't think it's that hard to get into if you already like Hardcore.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
No Place is really really really good. Far better than DGD's new album.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by ChemicalFire
The exact words when I showed a buddy of mine the track "No Nature" was "It's only been 3 seconds but I already really like this."

I don't think it's that hard to get into if you already like Hardcore.

I was speaking from the perspective of someone who had gotten into Conversation Piece well before No Place came out, but I also don't really like hardcore at all so I guess that's fair.

EDIT: yeah I definitely said "compared to Conversation Piece"
Quote by chinesewhispers
Most of the bands recommended seem like DGD/TFoT-lite.

Ugh. Now I regret asking for your opinion.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Dec 10, 2013,
Quote by Firefox1095

Christ... I wasn't this stupid when I first got here right? Right? I mean I know I was misinformed but at least I wasn't a tool about it?

Right?
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
>hard-technical
>good-technical
>fun-technical
>u wut m8

Also, fuck off with your Alesana shit.

This is what technical post-hardcore sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89PkzgQYsog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OanujVDW8vM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfsRpbFq0Q
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by chinesewhispers

Yeah, Hot Cross is a pretty cool band, I used to dig them a lot.

My favorite post-hardcore band is The Fall of Troy and they are probably one of the more technically difficult ones I've heard, but again, not super deep into the genre yet. The Sound of Animals Fighting can also be technically difficult.
Quote by Firefox1095

This comes up every time Andrew tries to make a point lol
Quote by punkforlife93
This comes up every time Andrew tries to make a point lol

I haven't even been here that long and even I noticed that.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Page 1 of 2