Hey,

Been trying to pick up learning to play electric guitar.
I am following John Petrucci's guitar videos.

My issue is that once I stretch my pinky finger to any string lower than the previous, my middle and ring finger want to curl into each other.

Here are some pictures in sequence on how the exercise is done.
I have been doing finger independence exercises/warmups. I can move each finger independently no problem. Which is weird, because I can't seem to fix this issue.

Any help is appreciated .
Sequence 1

Sequence 2

Sequence 3

Sequence 4
I dont really understand your problem but these exercise are good for developing dexterity indeed. Try playing with the perfect spot of your finger on the string (the spot that gets the best sound) this should sove your problem dont press too hard either.
Quote by ibzshredder
I dont really understand your problem but these exercise are good for developing dexterity indeed. Try playing with the perfect spot of your finger on the string (the spot that gets the best sound) this should sove your problem dont press too hard either.

My problem is that my ring finger and middle finger curl inward, whenever I stretch my pinky finger to a string above.
This is just my personal opinion, other than baring strings my thumb and palm always wrap around my neck, you shouldn't need to arch as much as your doing and its costing you stability and dexterity, if I play like you my middle and ring finger do weird things, im sure plenty of people may want to disagree with that though
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off