So I'm thinking about buying my brother a new guitar for Christmas. His last one got messed up (long story) and he needs a new one that will uhh that will play. It doesn't need to be fancy and I'm definitely going used. He currently has an amp that he got from a friend but it's a tube amp and, because he's so new to all of this, it doesn't really fit his style.

He likes metal, so what I'm thinking here is spending about $200 on the guitar and about $50 on some kind of pedal/multifx/pod/whatever so he can actually play with some distortion. However, I think he should also be able to play with headphones on, so maybe the pedal/pod/whatever should have a headphone output. All of this will definitely just be for home practice.

What do you guys? I'm thinking some kind of used/cheap Ibanez RG. I also saw this and have heard good things about those GTXs.

As for the effects, I was thinking something like this, except not that. I really have no idea what to look for in this area as I'm mostly a bassist. As long as it has distortion and a headphone jack, it would be good. Although having some drums or something would also be cool cause he's pretty much a beginner.

Thanks so much for the help guys!
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
You make it sound like tube amps don't do metal, what amp exactly is it? If it's a good one forget the multi-fx and get a straight up boss or similar distortion pedal. Ibanez RGs are pretty good guitars but imo very much a lead guitar, they're so thin and light and most of them have trems they just don't sustain well, even the mid range ones. I do have a few favourite budget end guitars that i'd recommend but its everyones 2 cents. If you want to get him a more versatile guitar just get something heavier with a more traditional neck.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
It's a Fender Blues Jr and it's not that it can't do distortion, but it can't do the distortion that he would want. Along with that, I think a multi-fx would be better because it'd make him wants to play more.
If it needs more gain, line booster or tubescreamer, or once again a stand alone distortion. Multi effects can be very gimmicky, for metal it's always going to come back to a thick distorted tone with reverb or delay and the fender already has reverb. I'd still say go for it but don't splash out on a boss or anything, a zoom G1-XN will suffice.
>Orange Amps
If your in the USA, www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear look for a PRS SE model and a used Line 6 POD XT (it has a headphone out).

I have a POD XT and it is pretty nice for cheap I paid <$65 on ebay, lots of amp models, cab models and FX.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^That pod looks good. Do you guys have any other guitar recommendations? The only thing I know to look for is Ibanez RG's and if there aren't any available, I'd need an alternative.
Schecter Omen, Epiphone Les Paul, ESP LTD M-10
>Orange Amps
The used Pod XT is an excellent suggestion -- another choice is the Korg Pandora Mini. It actually has more crap in it (including metronome, tuner, phrase trainer, drum patterns, bass patterns, pitch shifter, slower-downer, tons of amps/FX/cabs) and it's tiny.
Quote by dspellman
The used Pod XT is an excellent suggestion -- another choice is the Korg Pandora Mini. It actually has more crap in it (including metronome, tuner, phrase trainer, drum patterns, bass patterns, pitch shifter, slower-downer, tons of amps/FX/cabs) and it's tiny.

There are other Korgs as well- the Px5, the Pandora Stomp, the Boss BR-4, Boss BR-80, and Tascam GT-R1 among others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!