Lend me your guidance.

So I'm about 6 credit hours from being a Junior in college. For those not familiar with the system, It means I'm less than one semester away, about two classes worth. I started college a bit young, as I skipped my senior year of highschool and about half of my junior year. I wanted to take business classes because I figured it would be cool to learn the ins and outs of what is an essential part of almost any industry. I had no idea of what I wanted to do in life.

Now I do know what I want to do in life. I want to go places and help people in poverty. Any people in poverty, be it Africans, Americans, Haitians, Mexicans, Siberians, Liberians, Nigerians, or all of the above. I just want to spend my life helping those people in any way possible. I don't care if I make money doing it, just as long as I am able to.

Here's the problem. I changed my major to Language and Culture, a relevant and helpful degree, I feel, but wasting a few of the credits I earned in business. Lately, my grades have been slipping. I've been working more and more frequently in order to pay rent, buy food, gas, clothing, and pay for car repairs and maintenance. In order to compensate I tried taking less classes, two a semester instead of the full four, but my grades are still looking poor. Maybe it's the 40-50 hour work week, or maybe it's just me being lazy. Maybe a little of both?

Honestly, my drive to do well in school is only fear based. Fear that if I don't have a college degree I wont be able to do what I feel I need to do in life. Fear that if I fail my classes and lose my scholarship for good my parents will be disappointed. Fear that if I don't have a degree no one will ever take me seriously in life.

All this amounts to an ever building pressure I feel weighing on my mind at night.

Do I really want a degree? I'm honestly not sure. All my life I thought of myself as the educated type. The kind of guy that graduates college easily and ahead of schedule. But general education classes are putting me below a 3.0 gpa. A degree was always just there in the vision of my future, but I never really knew what for. I still don't. I guess I really just wanted it because people say I should. People say it's impossible to get a good job without a degree. Do I really want a good job? I guess not. What I want (or what I'm willing to accept) does not match a lot of people's definition of a good job is.

All this came bubbling up tonight because I just found out that I may not pass my calculus class this semester. If I don't pass with a B, I wont have the required gpa to receive the HOPE scholarship, which pays 80 percent of college tuition in Georgia. Without it, there's no way I can afford to keep going.

So, cool blog or whatever.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
I want to go places and help people in poverty.

I did that, and all I got was this stupid T-Shirt.
you're so good at whining. maybe you can become a pro whiner.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Extra Ordinary
You don't need a degree to help people. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities abroad.

To be honest, I haven't really done any research on it. I just assumed no one would send someone across the world or however far without that kind of credibility.
Quote by c3powil
To be honest, I haven't really done any research on it. I just assumed no one would send someone across the world or however far without that kind of credibility.

My understanding is that most people traveling overseas to help out are there on an unpaid, volunteer basis. A degree is better than no degree regardless of subject, but there's a reason the unemployment rates for Arts students are so high. If I was in your situation and if you do end up falling below the scholarship cutoff due to your calculus class, I would postpone that last semester and work until the next school year to help improve your financial situation and reduce the anxiety it's causing you.
Quote by c3powil

It's easier if you're a student because of all the exchange and volunteer opportunities being advertised. You just have to research. I'm going on exchange to Melbourne this February because my school emails these newsletters advertising opportunities. Barely anyone goes.
If you want to join the Peace Corps something like 90% of volunteers have a college degree so if you want to go overseas and help people in poverty then it's probably best to finish out just to up your chances of being selected. Otherwise I think you can to Americorps without a college degree.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Don't waste your time trying to help ******ed third-world countries. They are like that for a reason, it's not like your efforts are going to make any difference. The average IQ of most African nations places them in borderline ******ed territory, and that has nothing to do with poverty or the environment. You can spend your whole life trying to help them and all you will get is brutally murdered or raped.

You want to help people? You want to make the world a better place? Be a Nationalist. Spend your time STOPPING people like you from going to places like Africa or Mexico. Convince them to keep their efforts local, help their own people and promote their own culture. Teach young European-Americans about their cultural history and heritage so they don't become losers with no purpose or disgusting "whiggers." You will feel a deep sense of spiritual satisfaction if you devote your efforts to your own people.

If you have been blessed with an above average level of compassion then it is your duty to spread it to your brethren. But your brethren aren't on the other side of the world, they are all around you.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
There's really not any difference between being a sophomore and a junior. You just need enough credits to graduate.

#onlyreadfirstsentence
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by SkyValley
Don't waste your time trying to help ******ed third-world countries. They are like that for a reason, it's not like your efforts are going to make any difference. The average IQ of most African nations places them in borderline ******ed territory, and that has nothing to do with poverty or the environment. You can spend your whole life trying to help them and all you will get is brutally murdered or raped.

You want to help people? You want to make the world a better place? Be a Nationalist. Spend your time STOPPING people like you from going to places like Africa or Mexico. Convince them to keep their efforts local, help their own people and promote their own culture. Teach young European-Americans about their cultural history and heritage so they don't become losers with no purpose or disgusting "whiggers." You will feel a deep sense of spiritual satisfaction if you devote your efforts to your own people.

If you have been blessed with an above average level of compassion then it is your duty to spread it to your brethren. But your brethren aren't on the other side of the world, they are all around you.

I'm not sure if you're being serious because this sounds just way too ridiculous.
Quote by SkyValley
I am a cunt

Sounds about right
Quote by c3powil
Sounds about right

He has a point, why help people in other countries when there are people in need all around the country he already lives in? Although he put it in a non-PC way, Africa does have a lower reported overall IQ in comparison to the rest of the inhabited world.
Quote by tukk04
He has a point, why help people in other countries when there are people in need all around the country he already lives in? Although he put it in a non-PC way, Africa does have a lower reported overall IQ in comparison to the rest of the inhabited world.

And IQ is just one way of measuring intelligence. It never was nor intends to be universal.

Let TS decide what he wants to do. That said, college could be a fun experience.
what the **** does IQ have to do with helping people anyway?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Extra Ordinary
I'm not sure if you're being serious because this sounds just way too ridiculous.

I know, I think its the most racist thing I've ever read, and I've read Mein Kampf.

(ok, actually I've read more of the OP than Mein Kampf)
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by chaoticfables
And IQ is just one way of measuring intelligence. It never was nor intends to be universal.

Let TS decide what he wants to do. That said, college could be a fun experience.

I was just stating that what he said about lower IQ is true according to some studies, I was not claiming it to be a valid means of measuring intelligence. I'm not trying to pick a fight over it, just clarifying.

TS is, of course, entitled to do as he pleases, but he came here asking for advice on the situation. Not giving an opinion would defeat the purpose of his thread.
If you have student loans, you will not be able to pay them by working in an impoverished nation. The reason is that the peace corps. and the like will pay you cost of living in that country. Maybe even a little better. But like, when you get back to USA that poor people money you have saved up will amount to almost nothing. Also believe it or not these kind of jobs don't just take anyone. You need to have a college degree.

My good buddy has been working in Africa for 3 years through the peace corps. Obviously, I think she felt good for having helped so many people, but unlike that sky_douchebag was implying some people go to third world countries for the purpose of adding to their own life experiences. Not everyone who goes to help poor people is so naive as to think they are going to make some huge impact. But it is an opportunity to expand your understanding of people and experience some crazy stuff. And help a few people too.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Nov 29, 2013,
Peace Corps by far is looking like a good option for me. I'm trying to salvage what I can of this semester and maybe muster out some decent grades. Thanks for the responses.
Shit son, if college isn't for you then it isn't for you. No biggie. The world is large and accommodating.
My God, it's full of stars!