As a left-handed player, I have a very limited selection of guitars, and it's come down to these two beautiful guitars. What I'm asking pretty much is if it's worth spending so much more money for the Gretsch, or get the Epi and get a couple neat pedals too. Anyone have suggestions?
The Gretsch is a rather significant step up. Obviously there's more subjective than objective about which you'll like more, but from a general build and quality standpoint the Gretsch is just a nicer instrument.

There are some big differences outside of just the quality though, a full vs a semi hollow body, and the unusual Gretsch pickups. I'd at least try a guitar made by each manufacturer if you can, assuming you're unable to try both of these particular guitars first.
I have to say, I played a 5420 in a shop and loved it. It's not just beautiful; it sounds and feels great. I think spending the money on the Gretsch will be worth it if you like the Gretsch pickups.
thanks guys, I was leaning more towards gretsch anyways and you helped me decide! Much appreciated!
Go for the Gretsch. They'e awesome instruments.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Roc8995
There are some big differences outside of just the quality though, a full vs a semi hollow body, and the unusual Gretsch pickups. I'd at least try a guitar made by each manufacturer if you can, assuming you're unable to try both of these particular guitars first.

Roc is right, but one caveat about this recommendation; make sure you're trying out a 5000 series, or Electromatic, Gretsch. A G6XXX will be significantly different in build quality from a similar G5XXX, and their price reflects that.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Agree about Gretsch. I was thinking of a Tennesee Rose, but the 5420 sounded better to my old ears. Very nice guitar.