Hello

I have ESP/LTD M-50 and i wanna buy new bridge pickup, i have never changed pickups and this is my first and only electric guitar for now offcourse, which means i have stock pickups. Stock neck pickup is pretty much doing his job, also does the stock bridge pickup, but i want more powerful sound than current one. I want to go with Dimebucker, but i saw on some forums that it isn't the best pickup for distortion... i want my sound to be identical to Dimes, most likely to sound from CFH and VDOP era, so that's why i wanna go with Dimebucker. I also really like Chuck Schuldiners sound, so i was also thinking 'bout X2N or D activator-X. I play mostly thrash/heavy/death metal and i have Digitech Metal Master distortion pedal, and it has awesome sound to me... i was also thinking about Bill Lawrence model which Dime used, but i can't buy it in my country... so, at the end, influences for my sound are Pantera, Death and Metallica mostly...

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by MrPedja96 at Nov 29, 2013,
Honestly, biggest change in sound will come from the amp.
Then pedals.
Then pickups.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I have Laney LX20R... it's practice amp, in studios i play on Randall RX120D and Laney LV300 twin. All of those amps have not so powerfull distortion, especially my LX20R, but with Metal Master pedal, it sounds awesome! But there still needs something... i think it's the bridge pickup that would complete the sound i am looking for...
Well, if you want to push your amps X2N is designed for it. It has insane output and with right equipment (especially guitar, this pickup is picky. And keep it far away from strings!) it sounds awesome. But I'm not sure I'd put it in 50 serie LTD. I havent tried it in mine to be honest. It found home in my Cort fast and it stays there.

D-Activator X might be safer choice. Bit less output and less aggressive/bright sound if I have understood right. I have never heard it myself so take it with grain of salt.
Biggest part of Chucks tone however was Valvestate 8100 though. X2N is just icing that pushed it to brootz. Not that 1 gen Valvestates are incapable of it on their own...

Regarding Dimebucker, its odd that someone would say its not good for distortion considering its supposed to be more or less successful imitation of Dimebags original pickups. The original Bill Lawrence (rip) pickups are highly regarded though but to my knowledge they are not exactly the same either as the originals were.

Judge yourself. Dimebucker starts at 6:40 or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 29, 2013,
^ bet he was sick of that riff after the vid HA

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
So... should i go with Dimebucker?? And if i go with X2N why should i keep it far away from strings? ._.
Just throwing this out there, Dimarzio Crunchlab/D-sonic.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Hmm from those two, i like D-sonic more then Crunch lab, but it doesn't sound like Dimebag to me... should i take something else from SD that would give me as close as possible to his sound? Here in my local store, all SD pickups are now 25% off, so if there is any powerful SD pickup that would give me what i want, please tell me which one is it?
I'll probably go with Dimebucker... it costs 78 euros and D-sonic is 86 euros... if there are any other suggestions on which pickup should i get, please, post them

Thanks in advance
Quote by MrPedja96
So... should i go with Dimebucker?? And if i go with X2N why should i keep it far away from strings? ._.

I mean it has very powerful magnet and having it too high on your guitar will cause some pull on the strings affecting the sustain and making it sound worse. Its at its best when its around the same height as the neck pickup typically is, maybe even lower. Opposite from where people (usually) keep their bridge pickups, only few millimeters away from strings.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3