Page 1 of 4
http://www.npr.org/2013/11/24/246755925/for-a-few-musicians-beating-songwriters-block-is-all-in-the-game

The idea of this thread is to force people to write stuff.
I'm not saying it would be as strict as the songwriting game in the article but there would still be some rules.

Here are some rules I think would work for this:

- 1 week to write a song (minimum 2 minutes, has to have at least a distinct melody and rhythm)

- If you don't want to write a song, you have to write at least 5 different riffs/simple melodies/beats (can be all 5 riffs, or 2 riffs and 3 melodies, etc...)

I'm still not sure how people would join, maybe PM's? Suggest more details/rules.

I've never written a song myself and my recording equipment is an old mp3 player, so don't feel shy. Everyone's goal here is to get better, even if our songs are shit.
you're not getting my creative property from me
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by captainsnazz
I've thought about doing this before, but it just wouldn't be practical because it takes me at least 100 hours of work to finish a tune and I kind of have to sleep.

The songs you write for this don't have to be masterpieces, you can write shitty stuff. The whole point of this is to get better so even if you write shit stuff now, the stuff you'll write in the future will be less shit.

Quote by ehbacon
do I have to sing?

No you don't need to sing :P
Quote by Masquirina

Oh...

Yeah if the UG songwriting game doesn't pick up I'm gonna abandon ship

Edit: Not really, I think I'll just do it alone if no one joins
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Nov 29, 2013,
Quote by Minicaxotinho
No you don't need to sing :P

Does that mean lyrics aren't needed?
Quote by -Mantra-
Does that mean lyrics aren't needed?

Nope, any simple stuff will do. But this isn't official yet, still not enough people.
Quote by Basti95
I might join. Still trying to decide whether i'm too metal for this.

I don't think genre is a limitation, if that's what you mean. If that's not what you mean then no, you can never be too metal to improve your abilities.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I don't think genre is a limitation, if that's what you mean. If that's not what you mean then no, you can never be too metal to improve your abilities.

I mean i might be so metal that it'll make the whole think crash.

It's happened you know.
My piece of shit song will be the proud owner of all of your piece of shit songs
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Ok so willT08 is in, and I'm not sure if some of the other posters here are also in. We still need to know how this works.

Nevertheless, I will post a thread every Friday, in which we post a link to our song or riffs/etc...

The thread will be called "Wiener Butts". Next Friday's thread will be called "Wiener Butts 1" because it's the first......... (name open for suggestions)
A thread every friday might be a bit much, might want to make a UG group or something.

I get the feeling this would go the way of CATPM if you make a thread every week. Lots of threads and not much activity.
Quote by whywefight
I really like this idea but I'm too pussy to join

Come on stop being a pussy

I've never written a song before and my recording gear and amp is shit but I'll do it just for the sake of doing it. I need the pressure to do stuff, so the weekly deadline is great.
Quote by whywefight
A thread every friday might be a bit much, might want to make a UG group or something.

I'll look into that, and I'll PM everyone in this thread with the details once everything is set (if you don't want to join that's ok, but I'll still PM you ) .
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
you're not getting my creative property from me

^^
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I'm in too. I've got a four day weekend from work and a few ideas on how to turn this in depending on what works best, so if I can't get this in now then I probably couldn't any other week.

Do you expect vocals? Because I'm not much of a singer but I can bullshit something if need be
Quote by whywefight
I'm in too. I've got a four day weekend from work and a few ideas on how to turn this in depending on what works best, so if I can't get this in now then I probably couldn't any other week.

Do you expect vocals? Because I'm not much of a singer but I can bullshit something if need be

Great, I'm thinking of making a group were people send the songs/riffs.... and then I'll make a thread with those because of the poll feature (the voting mechanism). But I'll PM you guys later today or tomorrow with the details, you can start making your stuff though

And you don't need to sing, if you don't want to Also, the less the editing the better.
Quote by ehbacon
just wrote my song. Now if only I could know how to record multiple tracks and put them together to make the song.

Awesome! And you don't need to elaborate much, the less you work on editing stuff the better. This is to focus on songwriting itself.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Awesome! And you don't need to elaborate much, the less you work on editing stuff the better. This is to focus on songwriting itself.

but it has a solo,if i can't put another guitar track behind it it will sound pretty bad
Quote by ehbacon
but it has a solo,if i can't put another guitar track behind it it will sound pretty bad

Shitty way to do it: Copy the song to the pc or something, play that on speakers and play the solo over it while recording.
Not ideal but it shouldn't matter, when voting we should focus on the quality of the song/riffs/whatever, not the technical aspects of the recording.

Edit: There's also Reaper
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Nov 29, 2013,
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Shitty way to do it: Copy the song to the pc or something, play that on speakers and play the solo over it while recording.
Not ideal but it shouldn't matter, when voting we should focus on the quality of the song/riffs/whatever, not the technical aspects of the recording.

hope i can find a way to do that
if i can find time to record i plan on using reaper. but i work late most days and i don't want to wake the neighbors, so i might just upload tuxguitar files to my soundcloud if i'm short on time.
Finally an excuse to get my head out of my ass and start finishing some songs!

Shitty internet connection permitting i'm definitely doing this.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

I would love to, but I need to get working on a project of mine...
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Page 1 of 4