Hi, I am new to UG forums.

First of all, I am playing with a Fender Mexican Strat with Fender Custom Shop pick-ups out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp.

I would like more sustain when I am playing solos. Is getting a compressor pedal the only way to increase the sustain? I tried out the Boss compressor and didn't love the sound. Are there any just sustain pedals? Im not very knowledgable when it comes to effects pedals, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
For natural sustain you'd wanna turn your amp up. However a Boss CS-3 would work in helping to make your notes last a little longer. It won't be noticeable straight away but if you hold a note and let it decay whilst turning the pedal on and off you can notice the volume difference.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
There's really no such thing as a sustain pedal. It's basically just compression.

There are a lot better compression pedals out there other than the Boss.

Diamond, Keeley, MXR, T-Rex and Barber all make excellent compressors.
Personally I'd suggest the Diamond Compressor or the Barber Tone press as they have the least effect on your tone.

You can also use a boost or overdrive pedal to increase sustain. Clean boosts like the Timmy or the Keeley Katana or the Durham Sex Drive or the Xotic RC Boost do a fairly good job of maintaining your original tone, while other boosts and overdrives will colour or add more gain to your sound.

Volume will ALWAYS add sustain.

You can also play with components on your guitar. Replacing the bridge or decking the tremolo can give more sustain. A new nut can do the same thing.

Check your technique as well it really is the most important factor of getting solid long sustaining notes.
how distorted are you playing? if you're playing fairly distorted, a tubescreamer or similar (added to your amp's distortion; used as a boost in other words) will increase sustain and compress too. I don't really much see the point of using a compressor if you're playing pretty dirty, it should already be compressing and a ts-based od will likely work better in that scenario, anyway. clean or lightly overdriven, then a compressor is a good idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a tubescreamer or similar (added to your amp's distortion; used as a boost in other words) will increase sustain and compress too.

+1

Maybe upgrade your preamp tubes too. Tung Sol RI in V1 always adds detail to my amps.
yeah in that case if you don't want to add distortion, but do want to add sustain, a compressor would likely help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why are people really descriptive on here? get a tubescreamer, job done

A good cheap one is the Joyo Vintage or ultimate drive or a Digitech Bad monkey

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
an ultimate drive is an ocd clone

plus a ts will only really work well if he's ok with adding some gain/distortion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
an ultimate drive is an ocd clone

plus a ts will only really work well if he's ok with adding some gain/distortion.

They both do the same things right?

When I use a tubescreamer i don't use the gain on the pedal, I just use the balance/level knob to boost my tone, if he does the same I'm sure it'll be fine

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
yeah but if you increase the level it'll boost the amp into more distortion. whereas you can set up a compressor to increase sustain without adding distortion, that's kind of the point of them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah but if you increase the level it'll boost the amp into more distortion. whereas you can set up a compressor to increase sustain without adding distortion, that's kind of the point of them.

Truee but not if you keep it on a low setting. Those are 2 options anyway.

Try them both out Althea31490 if you can and see which one you prefer

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
yeah he might as well try both, just in case
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just get a compressor

It adds sustain... Not distortion, or "boost" or Crunch or over drive... Just adds sustain...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!