Hi guys,

I come here looking for some advice. I am looking into buying a new amp in +/- 2 months time. The sound I would like to achieve is something close to Cult of Luna/Callisto. I could probably shell out around 1200$ which is not that bad but there are few factors either limiting my choice or just making me confused.

- I am from Poland so do not have access to a lot of brands (no Sunns or Sovteks for me)
- I do not own a cab at the moment, can use one at the place where I have my band practice though, so I was thinking of spending as much as I can on a good amp and trying to save up for a cab later
- not sure if I want a head+cab or a combo. Some combos look like a great deal to me when considering price/quality, but can they do a big sound I am looking for?

Some amps I was considering, without making head/combo distinction:
Orange TH30, Laney GH50L or GH100L, Vox AC30.

Also, currently I use Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus through Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 head with some shitty Marshall cab (probably MG or something equally horrible, never bothered to check). I am not entirely pleased with this Ashdown, it is just too muddy.

Would appreciate any help!
Just curious, do you have a way to play the Ashdown through a different cab? You may still want a new amp, but you can't underestimate how badly a shitty cab can mess up your tone. Just something to think on, you may not need an upgrade at all.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Hi, thanks for the advice. I will definitely need to look into that, however there is not a lot of information to be found as to what cabs would make a good match for this Ashdown head. I think I could get my hands on a 412 Orange cab to try out but I am not sure if I ever wanted to buy one, they are outrageously expensive.
Quote by svcv
Orange TH30, Laney GH50L

Sounds like you are on the right track.

What exactly is the post metal guitar tone? More sludgy than typical high gain?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't know what 'post metal' is but I think you can rule out the Vox. Can you find used gear around you? A Laney GH50L and a 212 cab is what I'd go for. Of a VH100 or VH50-if they make that.

Sometimes, but very high gain stuff like Mesa or 5150 usually, stuff I mentioned is harder to come by. I think I saw GH500L used for around 600$.

What exactly is the post metal guitar tone? More sludgy than typical high gain?

Yes, less tight, more crunch than brutal. Deep and warm sound but not that much gain.

I am also not really looking for really really sludgy tone, like tons of grainy fuzz, I would prefer something in between.

Those Orange amps seem to really do the job but they are also the most expensive