Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum so I'll give you a little bit of a back story which may help you understand why I'm looking for a new guitar.

I got a cheap electric guitar (Stagg) back in 2008 while I was still school and was taking lessons at school every week for around 3 months. As I was in my teens, I started to lose interest. So I gave in and didn't pick up my guitar again 'till about 2 months ago. The only problem is I really want to play acoustic guitar since most of the songs I want to learn to play are played with an acoustic guitar. My favorite bands are The Beatles, Oasis and Arctic Monkeys. I have a price range of max £300 for a new acoustic guitar so it would be much appreciated if you could help me out.

By the way I'm a lefty.

Edit: Budget increased to £300 Max
Last edited by InForAPound at Nov 30, 2013,
Do you have any place near you to try out guitars? Honestly that'd probably be your best bet since every person's preferences are different. Just pick up any guitar in your price range and strum a few chords and see which one sounds the best for you.
You can also read this thread for more : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?f=27&announcementid=103
Preacher preacher! Fifth grade teacher!
You can't reach me, my mom can't neither
You can't teach me a goddamn thing cause
I watch TV and Comcast cable
Well today I've been around all my local guitar shops and only 1 of them had a left handed guitar in stock. Another one could do special orders on Fender, Yamaha and tanglewood. The one he had in stock was the Tanglewood TW28SNN for £200.
I really liked Ibanez V72 sound. Great guitar. And you can buy right-handed and just turn it around and change string order. Why to waste more money on left-handed guitar?
Quote by WhiteAngel20
I really liked Ibanez V72 sound. Great guitar. And you can buy right-handed and just turn it around and change string order. Why to waste more money on left-handed guitar?

this goes as some of the dumbest advice i've seen in a few months. there are a lot of good retailers that specialize in lefties. a good one here in the states is http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7htb9JlSAhUAwpJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzOG03YmF2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDI3NV8x/SIG=124g1m3hq/EXP=1385850075/**http%3a//www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm
you probably wont buy there but it will give you a good selection to start your search.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by WhiteAngel20

Well I was asking this question today, but the people in the guitar shop told me that on a left handed guitar the bridge is angled differently so If i were to restring it to be left handed I would have tuning problems. Not sure how much of that is true.
Quote by WhiteAngel20
Quote by WhiteAngel20
I think it's not. F.E. my friends plays guitar that way:
OK, please stop spouting this nonsense. And that's from a left handed guitar player, who has been forced to do this over the years.

It's bad advice. I don't care what your friend has done. You can't do it with a cutaway guitar. It puts the cutaway in your armpit, and that's just the "good news".

Quote by InForAPound
Well I was asking this question today, but the people in the guitar shop told me that on a left handed guitar the bridge is angled differently so If i were to restring it to be left handed I would have tuning problems. Not sure how much of that is true.
It's absolutely true. The bass strings on a guitar are effectively longer, than the treble strings. The reason for this is to make the "intonation" correct. "Intonation", is a long story. The short version is this, if the intonation is off, the notes get more and more out of tune as you play higher on the neck.

I learned to play a few decades ago, and while I was learning, I learned a few simple chords, "upside down", so that I could a least make some "in tune noise", with any guitar. You could do this yourself, at least to the extent you would be able to sample a guitar you could ostensibly order in a left handed version.

You're not going going to ever have the choices available to you as would a right handed player....., ever! But, as you know , Fender has a few options, notably the "Hellcat", which is a fairly popular choice.

You may have to buy online, sight unheard. I've done that with every guitar I own after I got back into playing. I have a few axes I really enjoy playing. Are they the best that I could hope for if I was a righty? Probably not. But yet, I'm very happy with them.

This site: http://www.adirondackguitar.com/adkguitar/GuitarsForSale.htm

has literally dozens of left handed option, an entire department in fact.

The big box Etailers, most notably "Musician's Friend": http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ have a decent selection, in stock and ready to go, with free shipping and in most states, no sales tax either.

So, don't pay any attention to the BS that's been spouted about "just flipping the guitar over, thus far. Jimi Hendrix used to do that shit. I'm just guessing, and with no slight intended, that you're not him....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 30, 2013,
These are a couple of guitars I've seen while I've seen searching tonight. Just wanted to know if any of you have any experience with these guitars or know about them:

Fender Sonoran SCE - £246
Fender CD-100CE LH - -£209
Cranky has that Sonoran and he likes it. it has it's short-comings he says but overall, a decent guitar.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)