Hey!
I recently got a new guitar with EMG81/85's in it and I'm liking it a lot. I use that one for thrash, but I want to use my old one for some melodic death metal and deathcore. It's a jackson JS32T Rhoads with these specs:
Body Style: Rhoads
Neck: Bolt-on maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood, compound radius
Body: Cedro
Frets: 24 Jumbo
Inlays: Shark Fin
Headstock: Regular Jackson
Pickups: 2 Jackson high-output covered Humbuckers
Hardware: Chrome
Bridge: Fixed (adjustable) with strings-through-body
Gig Bag: Jackson Gig Bag Included
The thing is the guitar tends to get very muddy at these low tunings, chords sounds really bad... So I was thinking of changing the pickups. I'd prefer passives so they can easily be fit into the body. I'm looking for something that can handle the low tunings (C standard and drop A) well. One specific set that caught my eye was the Seymour Duncan Black Winter. Anyone has an idea if these would give a significant upgrade? Other suggestions are more than welcome. I'd like not to pay more than €200/$270/166£. Thanks in advance
Last edited by \m/TheWickerMan at Nov 29, 2013,
What amp do you have?

I'm going to guess that you have the guitar set up properly for for the low tunings since you're talking about C and drop A, but it never hurts to ask. Do you have appropriate gauge strings for those tunings?

As for actual pickup recommendations, I'm not much help there. I don't have experience with high end pickups except for the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set and the EMG 85/81 set. I've had the JB/Jazz set in drop b (possibly drop a# too, I can't remember) before and it sounded good.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Yes, I have a pair of 12's on it (Not even slinky's) and they feel perfect for those tunings. Intonation and action etc are okay aswell.
I use VST amps on my computer. The amps sounds terrific on a 7-string with emg 81-7s (edit: that's the guitar a friend of mine uses, it's not mine), but my I can't seem to get a very clear sound out of my rhoads. I'll have a look at the JB and Jazz, they seem quite nice aswell ;-)
Last edited by \m/TheWickerMan at Nov 30, 2013,
Dimarzio D sonic. IMO one of the greatest pickup for tuning under C
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Seymour Duncan released a pickup called the Black Winter. You might like those
Or a Distortion. I know Ola Englund digs those. He's usually pretty spot on with gear.
[404]Signature not found
I have the black winters I'm my Gibson studio
very versatile and clean up with vol roll rather
well I like them and play alternative to metal.
yeah, that's what I asked about in the original post thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Black Winters
Quote by \m/TheWickerMan
yeah, that's what I asked about in the original post thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Black Winters

Let us know what you think if/when you get it. I'm curious to hear more opinions on it. Might pick one up and chuck it in one of my guitars at some point.
[404]Signature not found
I can tell you in my studio the black winters
are very articulate even with high gain. Now
as for drop tunings I can't comment much as
I play in standard drop d and half step down.
I get good cleans with volume roll off and they
breath fire with some gain involved and I run my
gain at 4 to 5 max out of 10 on my ultra. I had a
buddy chicken pickin country then riffing some
metal all with the flip of a switch good pickups
not just for metal either.
if u like the emg's you already have, they work wonders on low tunings keeping output pretty even and avoiding mudd. otherwise it sounds like your set on Black Winters
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
DiMarzio D Activators are dirt cheap and will do the job.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X