I recently did a strat build, but have decided to turn this axe into a fusion guitar. I really love tones like Scott Henderson's, Richie Kotzens, and Guthrie Govan's (in hiswork with the Aristocrats). I realize tone is mostly from the hands, but the Am. Standard pickups I used are way too shrill and thin for that kind of sound. I was looking to keep the stock middle pickup, but change the bridge and middle. I'm looking into the GFS Lil Killers, The Dimarzio Tone Zone-S, the Dimarzio Chopper, and the Dimarzio Pro Track. It's just so hard to get a feel online for what these sound like, since you cant play them first... My amp is a 1966 Ampeg Gemini I, and I use lots of effects. I'm open to any suggestions and feedback! Thanks.
look at Lace Sensors they'll work fine for what you want. probably a blue for the bridge and perhaps a silver or another blue for the neck. will retain clarity of single coil and give you more balls like a humbucker. these will work great for fusion as clarity for single notes is very important.
just be sure you want single coil-sized humbuckers. Not saying you definitely don't, and if you're sure you do you can pretty much ignore what's coming next, but...

most humbucker tones are from either neck or bridge humbuckers, which you already have in an HSH setup. Having a proper single coils gives you some added versatility the odd time you need single coil tones.

also normally you'd use a rwrp middle single, so the "in-between" settings are hum-cancelling. if you use a noiseless single coil in the middle, while the "single coil alone" setting will be noiseless, the other two in-between settings probably will be no longer hum-cancelling.

you also need to decide whether the "single coil alone" tone, or the "in-between" tones, are more important. if the former, then by all means go with a higher output noiseless pickup to balance with the humbuckers (and kill the hum). If the latter, then a lower output true single coil would likely be a better idea, to balance with the split humbuckers and be noise-cancelling in that situation.

(I'm assuming you're wiring in auto-splits; if you aren't, you can ignore what i said about hum-cancelling )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
just be sure you want single coil-sized humbuckers. Not saying you definitely don't, and if you're sure you do you can pretty much ignore what's coming next, but...

most humbucker tones are from either neck or bridge humbuckers, which you already have in an HSH setup. Having a proper single coils gives you some added versatility the odd time you need single coil tones.

also normally you'd use a rwrp middle single, so the "in-between" settings are hum-cancelling. if you use a noiseless single coil in the middle, while the "single coil alone" setting will be noiseless, the other two in-between settings probably will be no longer hum-cancelling.

you also need to decide whether the "single coil alone" tone, or the "in-between" tones, are more important. if the former, then by all means go with a higher output noiseless pickup to balance with the humbuckers (and kill the hum). If the latter, then a lower output true single coil would likely be a better idea, to balance with the split humbuckers and be noise-cancelling in that situation.

(I'm assuming you're wiring in auto-splits; if you aren't, you can ignore what i said about hum-cancelling )

you can avoid all that with the Lace Sensors which is why I recommend them all the time. you get the best of both worlds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm thinking he wants to make a SSS into a HSH with SC sized humbuckers. I put GFS Lil Punchers (SC sized humbuckers) in a Squier Tele once and thought they sounded good.

Personally I wouldn't do it again because it's a waste of money unless you are in love with the guitar. Just go on CL and get a deal on a used HB guitar.
Quote by monwobobbo
you can avoid all that with the Lace Sensors which is why I recommend them all the time. you get the best of both worlds.

I'm not familiar with them but I know a lot of people like them

Quote by fly135
I'm thinking he wants to make a SSS into a HSH with SC sized humbuckers. I put GFS Lil Punchers (SC sized humbuckers) in a Squier Tele once and thought they sounded good.

Personally I wouldn't do it again because it's a waste of money unless you are in love with the guitar. Just go on CL and get a deal on a used HB guitar.

reading it through again I think you're right

I'm not that fussed on single coil-sized humbuckers (the ones I've tried, anyway).

American strats are normally routed HSH, aren't they? If so, personally I'd prefer to get a new pickguard and go the proper HSH route.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not familiar with them but I know a lot of people like them

reading it through again I think you're right

I'm not that fussed on single coil-sized humbuckers (the ones I've tried, anyway).

American strats are normally routed HSH, aren't they? If so, personally I'd prefer to get a new pickguard and go the proper HSH route.

hss for strats as no production model currently has a humbucker in the neck.
^ If that's true, that sucks. the USA standard used to be HSH-routed, which gave you a lot of options. I suppose purists might claim routing the least amount of wood might sound marginally better if you know for sure what pickup layout you want... but I'm indecisive and like options
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They actually make USA HSH strats right now. A quick google search and on their website will confirm what I'm saying. I was surprised to see it about a week ago. :p
yeah they seem to make an HSH american deluxe, which is pretty cool.

though if i were after HSH i'd likely go with an ibanez or similar, but still, it's nice to have the option. I don't see why so many players are anti-HSH, when nowhere near as many are anti-HSS. Too 80s?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can get an HSS pickguard (how tough is THAT?), take a look at a Suhr Aldrich for the full-size humbucker bridge. Keep the neck pickup single-coil size, but check out the DiMarzio Fast Track II. Theoretically, that's supposed to be a strat bridge pickup, and it's about 18Kohm (as in HAWT), but I'm finding it works amazingly well as a neck pickup on an LP. It helps eliminate muddiness on the bottom end (due to the single coil size factor), and it really punches; you may very well find yourself doing a lot of solo work on the neck pickup for a change.
I think people don't like HSH due to the middle pickup or 5 way selector. I hated the middle pickup position in my RG1570 when I first got it, I lowered it though and now it's pretty awesome. I think it's one of those things, a lot of people don't modify their guitar in any way and they just see it as in the way.
^ Yeah I suppose, but surely the same problem is there with HSS? Or near enough the same?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah I suppose, but surely the same problem is there with HSS? Or near enough the same?

humbuckers take up more room and if you look at a HSH guitar usually there is little room between pups. those not used to it have a problem with the pick hitting a pickups. with an SSS strat there is room to pick between the pickups so you just have to learn hand positioning to make it work otherwise you can have the same problem. I don't but I use very little of the pick and am just used to it.
Quote by HammerParty
They actually make USA HSH strats right now. A quick google search and on their website will confirm what I'm saying. I was surprised to see it about a week ago. :p

yeah the dave murray strat but that isn't a standard production model. I could be wrong about the route but I know they went from the swimming pool route to HSS that may have changed.
Quote by monwobobbo
humbuckers take up more room and if you look at a HSH guitar usually there is little room between pups. those not used to it have a problem with the pick hitting a pickups. with an SSS strat there is room to pick between the pickups so you just have to learn hand positioning to make it work otherwise you can have the same problem. I don't but I use very little of the pick and am just used to it.

yeah i suppose
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?