Poll: Do you study with music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you study with music?
Yes, without it I might actually have to concentrate on studying.
28 41%
No, ofcourse not! I have the concentration span of a goldfish.
19 28%
Sometimes, I am most likely to claim I am an agnostic instead of choosing a side.
22 32%
Voters: 69.
Page 1 of 2
Simple question really. I know people who need absolute silence, I know people who claim they can't study without black metal cranked up.

I personally don't know. Studying with music makes me less likely to stop, but makes me wonder off a bit sometimes and I'm not entirely sure if I know everything. I never failed an exam though, so it might be doing the trick. Can study perfectly well without music. Discuss.

edit: To make it clear: I mean studying for an exam, not just making homework.
editedit: maybe you guys can post what music that is so others can benefit from it too.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Nov 29, 2013,
If I'm trying to learn something I leave it off, if I'm just writing shit that doesn't require a lot of concentration I leave it on.
if i'm doing homework i listen to stuff like shigeto or balam acab. lyrics are distracting.
if i'm studying it's gotta be quiet. and i have to be somewhere that isn't my house.
I used to. Sometimes. Back when I had something to study.
Now I don't because I'm not some kind of nerd lol.
Nah, can't concentrate with it on.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I find myself easily distracted by even the slightest noise like a dog barking in the neighbourhood or someone slamming a car door outside so I definitely need music on, and actually I do find certain black metal bands to be particularly effective at letting me concentrate despite not being what I primarily listen to.
Only ever with minimalist instrumental music, and only if the room is otherwise noisy. Reading and writing shouldn't be done in half measures.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
i usually listen to one album in particular (typically something short + fast like milo goes to college or something) and then listen to it again before my exam and stuff starts flooding back to me

Quote by BoxCarMothra
if i'm doing homework i listen to stuff like shigeto or balam acab. lyrics are distracting.

This, but I normally put some classical tunes on.
Silverburst
i usually studied with music on, but not because it would make me study better. if i was really cramming for an emergency i tended to keep the music off.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I personally like film scores to listen to. LotR etc.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
It has to be music I've heard a lot so I can put it in the background. Random pieces of classical music distract me.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by captainsnazz
I don't have exams and most of my work involves sound so I'm kind of an anomaly for your poll sorry

You're dismissed. Screwing up my poll results.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Sometimes I try, but I end up turning the volume so low that I can't really hear it anyway.
Check out my band Disturbed
No, but I used to study at the zoo when it was warm because I was there anyway, and the peacock squawking was fairly melodic. Does that count?
Quote by Masquirina
No, but I used to study at the zoo when it was warm because I was there anyway, and the cock squawking was fairly melodic. Does that count?

Yes. If you replace "studying" with coming out.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Depends on what type of studying I'm doing. If I'm just doing practice questions, music has to be on on or I'll be very bored. If I'm memorizing something, I need absolute silence and, ideally, no lights I don't get distracted by the things around me.
No. As pretentious as it sounds, as a music major whenever I hear music, I'm always thinking in my head about something with its composition, whether it's harmonic analysis, dictation, etc. and music would just distract me to no end.
I'm neither gay nor a dude, but if I owned a gay bar/club called Santa's Swanky Jungle I would definitely have a glittery santa hat-wearing peacock as the mascot.
Quote by Masquirina
I'm neither gay nor a dude, but if I owned a gay bar/club called Santa's Swanky Jungle I would definitely have a glittery santa hat-wearing peacock as the mascot.
Santa's Swanky Jungle
You're soo great.

i also didn't know you weren't a dude.
need almost total silence
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Need music. Can't focus with silence.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I think its distracting when I'm listening to something I haven't heard before or that I haven't listened to very much, but if its something I'm familiar with I work better (or at least I think I do)
When it's exercises/calculation-based stuff, I do listen to music, because then being less concentrated (because of the music) only means I'll take more time to do it, but I'll learn things just as well because I've done the exercises. And the fact that I'm usually listening to a full album keeps me there at the desk for some 50 minutes and it also means that I can't do anything listenable on the internet (I'm looking at you, YouTube) that would usually distract me.

If it's reading-based stuff I don't, because I can't even concentrate on anything.
Usually classical. Sometimes ambient. Never death metal.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
The second poll option sucks. I would say that not being able to study without music would mean I have the attention span of a goldfish... When I was in school and I needed to study... I just sat down and studied... I focused on studying I think you have a low attention span if you NEED to do more than one thing at once.

So, no, I never listened to music while I studied. I had a 92% average too.

#schoolwasfunandnowimold
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
I study composition, so it'd have the same effect as an author trying to write a novel while reading a novel at the same time... doesn't work. When doing reading for essays I don't listen to music because I need my full attention span with me or the information doesn't get absorbed.
When I'm doing homework ( i don't study) I always talk to myself out loud (especially during math)

it's just 100x easier for me to talk to myself
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by The Madcap
No. As pretentious as it sounds, as a music major whenever I hear music, I'm always thinking in my head about something with its composition, whether it's harmonic analysis, dictation, etc. and music would just distract me to no end.

This.

I seriously can't do it.

I wish I could though.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Yes, has to be Aphex Twin, Boxcutter, uZiq etc, something easy to listen to and not engaging.
sunbather is shit
yes i listen to the radio, but it's pretty silent. it works for me. it's mostly bubblegum pop in 4/4 anyway so it's not that distracting.
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
It depends. Instrumentals are preferred and only to cancel out outside noise, or if I'm doing passive study. Mostly prefer silence though.
Related subject.

I paint while listening to music, mainly for two reasons. Firstly I have tinnitus and any sound helps to distract me from it. Secondly, I've found that the right sort of music puts me in just the right mood to paint, usualy something relaxing like Pink Floyd, Portishead or Gomez, which is odd because normaly I prefer to listen to music with a bit more of an uptempo beat to it, like Motorhead or The Ramones.
The last time I had a major set of exams, I found that certain music really helped my revision. I mainly got through it with Mark Knopfler, Ravi Shankar and the LOTR soundtracks.
Page 1 of 2