Page 1 of 2
Reports of multiple injuries, people trapped inside, emergency services are on the scene. I understand it's not on fire.
This pub, The Clutha, is a popular place that will have been busy on a Friday night, in fact my brother was thinking of going tonight (but didn't). One of the not too many places in Glasgow that still regularly hosts live bands, one will have been playing tonight.
Reports are that it's a police helicopter, no idea how it came to crash land.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25163045
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/reports-of-injuries-as-glasgow-pub-roof-collapses.1385765549
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-11-29/helicopter-crashes-glasgow-pub-scotland/
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
goddamn helicopter controls

hope everyone is ok, pretty crazy. if everyone gets out of it fine thatd be a pretty rad story. if not it would be pretty sad
Must have been going back to the pub for another pint or two.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I want to make a clever worlds end joke, but I've got nothing. How the **** does that even happen? The only thing in any of those articles talking about the copter is one line saying it was a police copter. If it wasn't some non-human malfunction that cop better not be allowed back in the force.
Bit of a crap place to park tbh

Hopefully no-one got hurt though.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Last edited by HenryB at Nov 29, 2013,
Quote by homeless-john
It's weird to hear about something like that happening in Glasgow. Pretty close to the centre too. Hopefully everyone injured recovers just fine.

yeah it's bizarre, I saw the headline out the corner of my eye and was like 'wat?'
going by what an eyewitness said on BBC news, considering how busy the place is, it'd be surprising if there were no fatalities
but here's hoping
Quote by Hydra150
yeah it's bizarre, I saw the headline out the corner of my eye and was like 'wat?'
going by what an eyewitness said on BBC news, considering how busy the place is, it'd be surprising if there were no fatalities
but here's hoping

Reports seems to be saying they did get a lot of folk out though. There was also no explosion so it could have been a lot worse. There's that if nothing else.
yeah it's early days, won't really know what happened/how many were hurt till the morning
but eyewitnesses say there is no fire so that's good

There's a picture of a piece of the helicopter that confirms that it's a police vehicle
Hmm my friend was there today, I got a text from him so I suppose he's OK. My friend's friend owns the pub as well.
from the Police Scotland twitter;
Police Scotland can confirm that the service helicopter crashed earlier this evening in Glasgow city centre
Major incident declared after the Eurocopter EC135 T2 came down on the roof of a pub in Stockwell St at 10.25pm
Eurocopter EC135 T2 with a crew of three consisting of a two police officers and a civilian pilot Emergency services responded immediately & remain at the scene. Cordons in place to allow the rescue operation to take place
At present Police Scotland is not in a position to confirm any details regarding injuries
Nope, but it' a clear night so it's not adverse weather
I'm terrible at flying helicopters too. Even when I play as Trevor who has his flying skill fully leveled.
just a stone's throw away from the river clyde, too, guess the pilot didn't fancy a swim

from eyewitness reports it sounds like there was a mechanical failure in the chopper, lost power to it's engine and the blades were still rotating and so the pilot could make a controlled landing, it was presumably not very high so the pilot didn't have a lot of time to glide down
as it landed on the roof of the pub and the rotors stopped it became too heavy and the roof gave way

there are car parks in the area, and a large park not far which would have been good places for an emergency landing I would think
guess he didn't understand that it was a building, it would have been dark
but he managed to turn off the engine and make it safe so that it wouldn't catch fire

we don't know if the crew of the chopper are still trapped or what condition they are in, but the police say that they can hear people trapped inside
footage shows guys on the roof trying to lift stuff off, and they're bringing in machinery for that purpose, and they have the search and rescue dogs outside
From what I remember from that pub, I think it's a horseshoe bar with seats and tables around it, and then there's another room with much more space to stand or have a band play.

Also, is it true that it was a police helicopter?
The Daily Fail at it again. Why can't they just tell the news without sensationalising it?
Warched an interview with Labour MP Jim Murphy who was passing by at the time and talked about what happened and how he helped get people out

somebody's getting re-elected

edit: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scottish-labour-mp-jim-murphy-2867079
Jim Murphy

I was in a pub about 200 yards away, someone said they heard a helicopter in trouble.

I drove down, parked the car on a double yellow and saw smoke coming out of the door and it was obvious something bloody awful had happened.

Drink Driving and Illegal Parking, setting the standard for us normal folk.

But really good on him for actually trying to help.
Yeah when they were talking to him I thought he seemed like he had had a few

but then I remembered he had just pulled people from a pub with a helicopter in it, I'd say he's allowed to seem a bit off
Quote by Hydra150
just a stone's throw away from the river clyde, too, guess the pilot didn't fancy a swim

from eyewitness reports it sounds like there was a mechanical failure in the chopper, lost power to it's engine and the blades were still rotating and so the pilot could make a controlled landing, it was presumably not very high so the pilot didn't have a lot of time to glide down
as it landed on the roof of the pub and the rotors stopped it became too heavy and the roof gave way

there are car parks in the area, and a large park not far which would have been good places for an emergency landing I would think
guess he didn't understand that it was a building, it would have been dark
but he managed to turn off the engine and make it safe so that it wouldn't catch fire

we don't know if the crew of the chopper are still trapped or what condition they are in, but the police say that they can hear people trapped inside
footage shows guys on the roof trying to lift stuff off, and they're bringing in machinery for that purpose, and they have the search and rescue dogs outside

It's called auto rotation and requires a fair amount of altitude to be able to use the effect. Helicopters do not glide. They drop like bricks. Helicopters have no ability to sustain any semblance of controlled flight in the event of mechanical failures. The best the pilot can hope for is enough altitude to create enough rotational speed in the rotor to use auto rotation to land with out putting every bodies heads through their assholes upon impact.

Hope every body is ok.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The Police have confirmed that at least three people have died
they haven't named anyone, one might imagine that those were the three in the chopper but that isn't confirmed
32 people have been taken to hospital
Quote by Hydra150
The Police have confirmed that at least three people have died
they haven't named anyone, one might imagine that those were the three in the chopper but that isn't confirmed
32 people have been taken to hospital

That would be my guess, but it probably could not have hit a more densely crowded venue than a popular bar on a Friday night. Shit situation. We may not know for some time what caused the incident, IE the Colin McRae crash.
It's a shame for anybody to go out that way. Imagine just going out for a Friday night and having that happen. It just seems like such a strange event. Like something I should be seeing in a bloody soap or something, not hearing about on the news.

Hopefully those that have been hospitalised have a good recovery.
My mother and her friends used to go on about how great that pub was.

Pretty crazy story.

EDIT: Speaking of the Police, I got stopped at 5am this morning when I was out riding my bike, because they thought it was "weird". Really annoying. Probably the least problematic experience I've had with the Police though.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by homeless-john
It's a shame for anybody to go out that way. Imagine just going out for a Friday night and having that happen. It just seems like such a strange event. Like something I should be seeing in a bloody soap or something, not hearing about on the news.

Hopefully those that have been hospitalised have a good recovery.

It's some Donnie Darko shit.

They are even showing this stuff on German news.
Read somewhere that this place has trees and stuff on the roof so it may have looked a good open place to ditch from the air.

Don't know how much truth is behind that though.
Quote by Greenie_777
Read somewhere that this place has trees and stuff on the roof so it may have looked a good open place to ditch from the air.

Don't know how much truth is behind that though.

Bullshit.
Eight confirmed dead, the three from the helicopter and five from the bar

damn
Quote by Hydra150
Eight confirmed dead, the three from the helicopter and five from the bar

damn

That's really sad

Heard there's some people in intensive care too - hope they pull through.
Page 1 of 2