So basically I've gotten a new Gotoh 201 bridge for my Squier VM Precision Bass and I've run into a slight problem. The original bridge is basically your standard 5 hole string-through bridge found on most precision/jazz basses. The Gotoh is basically the same as well, just a bit more fancy. The problem is that the screws that came with the Gotoh are too small and they just hang loose in the original holes.

I thought about filling the original holes with filler or something and then drilling in them again, but I'm somewhat doubtful as to how well it would hold the screws. So I thought I would make new holes either closer or further to the neck and put the bridge in there and I was just wondering if it would work without completely screwing over tuning/intonation and the likes?

TLDR; Putting a new bridge in my bass, will it moving fowards or backwards (closer or further from the neck) from where the original bridge was screw up everything?
Your bridge and nut need to be the length of your scale apart (ie. if your scale is 25.5", the breaking points at your nut and bridge must be 25.5" apart before you intonate). If you have masses of intonation adjustment, you might be okay. It depends how far we're talking. Do a dry run with a ruler and see if you can get the scale length right first. If not, you might have to consider the dowel and glue option, then drill the holes out again.

Edit: If you don't know your scale length, measure between the nut and 12th fret, then multiply that by two.
Do the holes in the new bridge allow for the old screws to fit through? I assume the holes line up but the new screws aren't the right thickness. Do the old thicker screws fit through the metal gaps in the gotoh bridge?

If they do, just use the old screws. If not then try widening holes so you can get the old screws just through.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Glue wood into the holes. Whittle
pieces and use glue and drive them
in and cut it off flush.

You can use Elmers glue and it will
hold,

Tabdog
Quote by -MintSauce-
Your bridge and nut need to be the length of your scale apart (ie. if your scale is 25.5", the breaking points at your nut and bridge must be 25.5" apart before you intonate). If you have masses of intonation adjustment, you might be okay. It depends how far we're talking. Do a dry run with a ruler and see if you can get the scale length right first. If not, you might have to consider the dowel and glue option, then drill the holes out again.

Edit: If you don't know your scale length, measure between the nut and 12th fret, then multiply that by two.

I just did some quick measurements and my scale length is around 860 mm (which is more or less what the fender website says, 864mm or 34"). One question though, where exactly are the breaking points on the nut and bridge? I'm not sure if it helps, but at most I'm moving the new holes 5 to 10 mm away from the original ones.

Quote by Lavatain
Do the holes in the new bridge allow for the old screws to fit through? I assume the holes line up but the new screws aren't the right thickness. Do the old thicker screws fit through the metal gaps in the gotoh bridge?

If they do, just use the old screws. If not then try widening holes so you can get the old screws just through.

Already tried that, but the old screws won't fit through the bridge gaps. Don't really want to try cutting holes through the bridge but I might consider it.
Widen the holes in the bridge. Moving the whole thing the 5-10mm will ruin intonation.
[404]Signature not found
Well looks like I ended up solving the problem another way. I found some screws I had lying around that fit through the bridge but were still wide enough to fit the holes in the body. Looks a bit ugly but it works so I'm happy. Thanks for all the help anyways guys!