Practice songs that feature it. The one I started with was "Midnight" by Joe Satriani. Scale the Summit is a band that I've noticed use the technique in a lot of their songs, "The Great Plains" is the only song that springs to my mind by them that has a two hand tapping part atm. Or you can go back to the Van Halen days.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Quote by J-Dawg158
Practice songs that feature it. The one I started with was "Midnight" by Joe Satriani. Scale the Summit is a band that I've noticed use the technique in a lot of their songs, "The Great Plains" is the only song that springs to my mind by them that has a two hand tapping part atm. Or you can go back to the Van Halen days.

I remember watching something about a guitarist who suggested to mute certain strings when you're tapping. How should I go on about that if I tried?
Last edited by Lifesign at Nov 29, 2013,
Quote by J-Dawg158

There's also Atlas Novus and the Levitated from Scale the Summit.

In the Satriani realm, there's the Forgotten Part 2 and the Headless Horseman as well.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I studied the song "Eruption" by Van Halen to learn two-handed tapping. From there, I studied Steve Vai's and Randy Rhoads' tapping techniques. Try the original version of "Crazy Train", for an example.
Would I just simply press the fret with my finger, or "pull" it down while I'm tapping?
Quote by Lifesign
Would I just simply press the fret with my finger, or "pull" it down while I'm tapping?

Depends on the duration of the note and if any other notes come after. Pulling it down after a note is roughly the equivalent of a left hand pull-off. If you don't want note right after, just press the fret down.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Isn't all tapping "two handed tapping"?

Some good tapping songs are

Midnight
Forgotten Part 1
Day at the beach
Satch Boogie
Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing

All by satch

Then there's vai, buckethead etc. Just learn songs with tapping in them man
Quote by 200dbFeedback
To mute unwanted noise put a hairband over the first fret.

I don't have a hairband, so I'll have to leave the notes ringing then.

Quote by griffRG7321
Isn't all tapping "two handed tapping"?

I'd assume, unless there's another form of tapping I'm unaware of. I know there's computer tapping; it's two-handed tapping, but it's different somehow.
Last edited by Lifesign at Nov 30, 2013,
If you are a beginner and just starting out learning two hand tapping, I would recommend checking out the song 'Electro Rock' by Sworn. The song has both a slower and faster two handed tapping part, both of which aren't too complicated and are rather fun to play. There are tabs for this song here on UG, but it looks like you'll need Guitar Pro to view them. If you'd like, you can PM me your email address and I'll shoot you the non-GP tab that I use!
Gear:
Electric: Schecter Banshee 6 - FR Active Trans Black (Left Handed)
Ibanez RG370DXL (Left Handed)
Acoustic: Johnson JG-624-CN (Left Handed)
Amplifier: Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt

YouTube Channel
Facebook Page
Last edited by peepster1005 at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I studied the song "Eruption" by Van Halen to learn two-handed tapping.

+1, start with the easier stuff first (not that VH is easy, he's a total badass, but the tapping bit in eruption is arguably the easiest bit of the whole piece, and is arguably one of the easier types of tapping to learn).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've never actually played a tapping before; I screw around tapping on the high E string, middle finger on the 12th fret and I just tap amongst the earlier frets in various 2h3 or 3h5 variations on the same string with my left hand, not for practice, but for the hell of it.

Anything to get me working is fine, so long as it's not complex like computer tapping.

I also found a tapping section for a Woe, Is Me song, but one thing bobbles me on the tabletture:

Various notes have a slide on the tap, t15/17. I tend to pull the string down once I apply my finger to it, so the sliding puzzles me a bit. Would I just press down, then slide to the 17 and then just pull that fret?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1, start with the easier stuff first (not that VH is easy, he's a total badass, but the tapping bit in eruption is arguably the easiest bit of the whole piece, and is arguably one of the easier types of tapping to learn).

Would I press the 2nd fret down, tap the 9th note with my middle finger, then pull off the 2nd fret to the 5th fret? Or just tap the 9th, then hammer on the 2nd, then go to the 5th?

Also, how should I go on about muting the high E string?
Last edited by Lifesign at Nov 30, 2013,
yeah have the 2nd fret already pressed down. then tap at the 9th fret with your picking hand, pull off to the 2nd, and hammer on with your fretting hand to the 5th fret.

i normally mute the higher strings just with my fretting hand. and the lower strings with my tapping hand.

Quote by Lifesign

Various notes have a slide on the tap, t15/17. I tend to pull the string down once I apply my finger to it, so the sliding puzzles me a bit. Would I just press down, then slide to the 17 and then just pull that fret?

tap first on the 15th fret then slide to the 17th.

slide-tapping is quite tricky, get the basic tapping down first.

I mean, I'm totally guilty of trying to run before I can walk, but there's trying to run before you can walk and then there's signing up to take part in the London Marathon before you can walk, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah have the 2nd fret already pressed down. then tap at the 9th fret with your picking hand, pull off to the 2nd, and hammer on with your fretting hand to the 5th fret.

Damn, I've been doing it the other way I posted in my other post. **** me sideways.
it's valid but you're not really playing the same thing. (I did that at the start, too )

doing it with a hammer-on to the 2nd fret results in your also playing the open string. which is fine if that's what you want to do (always with you, always with me by satriani has tapping which includes pulling off to the open string IIRC), but not so great if it's not. It also makes it more difficult, as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's valid but you're not really playing the same thing. (I did that at the start, too )

doing it with a hammer-on to the 2nd fret results in your also playing the open string. which is fine if that's what you want to do (always with you, always with me by satriani has tapping which includes pulling off to the open string IIRC), but not so great if it's not. It also makes it more difficult, as well.

Oh, alright.
Quote by 200dbFeedback

IMO, the only reason you should ever possibly have to do this is during a recording session.

If you can't (eventually) play something without the aid of a muting device, then you're doing it wrong.

Also, I would venture to say that tapping is one of those things that really only sounds good if you actually play it well; there's really no room for the sloppiness that you can get away with when you're just hammering out standard rock licks. There are a lot of guys who still sound cool, even though they're a little sloppy (Ace Frehley, Slash, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, etc), but even Eddie Van Halen sounds like shit when he flubs up some tapping.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Lifesign

In general, you'll want to either pull down or push up, depends on which is more comfortable. There are times where you want the note to sustain.

Quote by 200dbFeedback

Or you could just learn to put your hands in the proper places to mute unwanted noise.