yo yo yo its ur boi spaz back in ggna

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Idk really, testing the waters here in terms of suggestions. Thinking 400 NZD max all up for a set BUT I'm down to just get a neck and bridge right now.
Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

Protest the Hero is the be all end all for me, Periphery and Dream Theater. Not as much clean but it would kinda be nice as well for various other projects

Home or Gig? - A point about my rig is that my amp is total balls, BUT I'm more involved in amateur studio projects at the moment which dont require live sound. I'll most likely to be running straight into a Focusrite Sapphire 2i4 and using some VSTs for guitar work.

I live in Auckland, New Zealand.

Here's my query, some background info.

A few months ago I was asked by a friend to work on scoring a videogame soundtrack. This would involve little guitar involvement but it's still my main compositional device. Work on that was extremely slow because I lacked pretty much everything. I was at a point where I can record via VST for guitar based stuff and was going to purchase a keyboard. What basically happened yesterday is my bridge pickup decided to die on me, I play a stock Ibanez 1992 RG560 and it's stopped working only on the bridge. This isnt that bad because the pickups where very clean and funky BUT they dont really match my current tastes anyway.

What I'm looking for is something angled first towards my tastes but still has a kind of versatility and tightness I can utilise for other projects with VSTs you know?

I'm at a point where I kinda need to make a decision somewhat quickly so I'm able to get back to using my guitar, because this is cutting into my musical budget where I didn't want it to right now.

Appreciating all the help I can get homies. It's half twelve when I've written this and so I'm bloody tired and this probably isnt as coherent or to the point as I'd like so feel free to ask as many questions yo. Shit out as many q's and suggestions as you like hahaha

I was looking into stuff like the BKP Juggernauts or whatever BUT my guitar is cursed with HSS so I'm not really sure how to match the bridge pup. Also BKPs are expensive.

chur
Quote by Spaztikko
Protest the Hero is the be all end all for me, Periphery and Dream Theater. Not as much clean but it would kinda be nice as well for various other projects

Well John Petrucci and Jake Bowen I know use DiMarzio Crunch Lab / Liqui-Fire pickups, and I know the PTH guys used to or maybe still do I am not sure. Petrucci has a new set out, the Illuminators, but I can't compare them to the Crunch/Liqui as I haven't played them.

Quote by Spaztikko
Home or Gig? - A point about my rig is that my amp is total balls, BUT I'm more involved in amateur studio projects at the moment which dont require live sound. I'll most likely to be running straight into a Focusrite Sapphire 2i4 and using some VSTs for guitar work.

I can't say how much a pickup swap will affect your tone if you are solely using amp sims. I have the Waves GTR-3 amp sim plugin which is pretty good, and even then the different tones of my guitars is no where near as distinguishable as when I play them through my amp, and they all have pretty different pickups in them. You may want to research this a bit more as it may not be worth upgrading at all.

My recommendation would be the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and Liqui-Fire, or even just the Crunch Lab if you are only swapping the bridge. I have a set in my Ibanez and they sound fantastic.
The thing is, while I'd love to put a crunch lab or whatever in, its about finding two single coils for the neck and middle that's the predicament here, you know?
Ideally I get osmething that'll do what I want it to through an amp later on
Misha's onto his sig BKP Juggernauts, Jake's got his own sig too.
I'm talking Volition era PTh