Quote by JustRooster
Undoubtedly the Jag.

Based on what?

I need explanations.

While the Jaguar has one more fret and 2 pickups, the maple fretboard is a big plus for the Bronco, at least in my opinion.
Last edited by realsmoky at Nov 30, 2013,
Based on opinion, mostly. And, in my humble opinion either will be fine for a beginner. However, I agree with Rooster that the Jag is a much better bass because:

The Jag has 2 bass pickups that allow for much more tonal diversity. The Bronco has a Stratocaster guitar pickup, and while it does work, it sounds a bit thin. Lots of people (even some beginners) decide to upgrade the Bronco pickup to improve the tone. The Jag sounds good enough as-is so it might actually be cheaper to own in the long run.

The Jag has a P-bass pickup in it that, when soloed, sounds pretty much like a P-bass. You can add growl to taste by dialing in some of the bridge pickup.

Rosewood vs. maple necks are simply a personal preference. They are NOT a major consideration for a beginner bass. If you simply MUST have a maple neck then buy the Bronco and live with the weaker tone.

The body weights on both the Bronco and the Jaguars vary within about a 1 kilogram range. If you get either with a body on the light side then you are likely to experience some mild neck dive. The heavier the body, the less neck dive you will see (again, on either bass).

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest disadvantage to either bass is finding a decent case that fits properly. Unless you luck up you will probably end up using a case or gig bag designed for a long-scale bass.

Good luck with your search...
Quote by realsmoky
Based on what?

Experience.

Quote by VeloDog
Based on opinion, mostly.

Derived from experience.

The Bronco bass is a pile of crap.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
No fan of short-scale basses here, but of the two, the Jag is clearly the better bass. Better workmanship, better electronics, better fretboard, etc.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I will cast another vote for the Jag, but I wonder why you've settled on those two choices. There are quite a few good options for a good first bass in that price range
Need the shortscale - friend is a tiny girl. A real midget. She can barely hold the standard scale bass. And those two are available at the stores in Serbia.

Any other short scale in that price range?
How small is she? I'm 5'4" and can handle an upright. Suzy Quattro is 5' and played Precision basses her whole life.
She seems to be a bit shorter than Suzy. And her hands are tiny. She could probably play a standard scale bass but I think that a short scale will fit her better, a players think that too, and she shares our opinion. She could play both of course, but the short scales fit her better.
Another option could be Ibanez SR series which have thinner necks. I hate to see players limit themselves to shortscale a just because they think they can't handle a full scale bass
Well she is old enough to think for herself and make a decision herself. When she gets better at playing she'll probably consider a full scale and decide if she can play it or not. Nothing wrong with short scales - so many people have been playing SG's and nobody complained.
Quote by realsmoky
Well she is old enough to think for herself and make a decision herself. When she gets better at playing she'll probably consider a full scale and decide if she can play it or not. Nothing wrong with short scales - so many people have been playing SG's and nobody complained.

They usually play SG/other short scale basses because of their sound/feel, not because they can't play long scale basses. Anarkee's point was that even if you are small, it doesn't mean you couldn't play a long scale bass. So maybe make her try a long scale bass and then a short scale bass and let her decide which feels better.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The Bronco Bass is far from a pile of crap as posted above. I love that people hate them though, that's how I got mine for $60 at guitar center.

The Strat pickup does mean it hums like a Strat, which is pretty annoying for a bass. Other than that it's very well made. I prefer it to my old Squier P Bass Special, the finish is much nicer and it's not some lightweight garbage that the P bass was. The maple fretboard is a major plus too!

All that said, at those prices I'd probably go for the Jaguar bass just to have the nicer pickups.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
They usually play SG/other short scale basses because of their sound/feel, not because they can't play long scale basses. Anarkee's point was that even if you are small, it doesn't mean you couldn't play a long scale bass. So maybe make her try a long scale bass and then a short scale bass and let her decide which feels better.

And my point was that because a bass is short scale, it does not mean that it's bad. And she played a bit with my long scale bass - she had problems even fretting the first 2 frets, even with 2 fingers. She is short and her fingers are too.
The Jaguar will sound more diverse b/c of the pickups. I myself like maple fretbords better than any other wood because it smother and ebony feels "dry" imo. The Jag also looks cooler.