So I got this Black Box which says. "9V - 500mA Max combined current".

Then I read on my first pedal, the Pollyanna Octave from MI Audio.
It says "Current draw: 6mA"

So I thought, yeah, no problems, I won't even reach 500mA like, ever.

Then I read on my second pedal, which is the Whammy DT from Digitech.
It says "1300 mA" next to the power supply. I gasped.

Then I checked Digitech's site and there it says "Power Consumption: 2.6 Watts (< 288 mA @ 9 VDC)"

The pedal I'm getting next is the BOSS RC-300, which says "Current Draw: Maximum 320 mA (DC 9 V)".

This is making me very confused. Can't my Black Box tolerate the current? Does my Whammy DT consume 1300 or 288 mA?

Please, explain. The music-store owner that sold the Black Box to me told me that this thing will be able to handle everything, and he's a very nice guy so he wouldn't fool me. Yet I don't dare to plug in my pedals into the Black Box before I'm certain.
you need at least a 1300 ma power source for that pedal. most regular pedals use either 200 or 300 ma. more is good less can hurt the pedal so don't use that for the whammy.
As you might have noticed, I'm not good with these electric stuff.

So having a pedal that needs 1300 mA and another pedal that just needs 6 mA is very possible? It sounds like such a huge jump for me, but what do I know?

The Black Box have eight 9V outputs and two 12V outputs. But most logically I would only be able to connect 2-3 pedals to this Black Box since, according to you, most pedals use 200-300?
Last edited by Visual382 at Nov 30, 2013,
I'm not an expert however it's unlikely that the pedal is a 6ma betting if you check spec sheet it will give a higher #. but yes different pedals have different needs. while the power supply you bought will power most pedals it won't do all. always be aware of a pedals requirements as using a lower power can cause issues or even ruin the pedal.
check the actual manual. this is an Australian pedal I'm in the US and I know that the power is something like 220 volt there instead of 120 here.
The only thing about power that the manual says is "9 volt battery operated or DC port (which accepts a standard barrel jack with a Negative centre pin.)"
ok well then any regular 9 volt power supply should be fine. (provided it is correct for your country). your whammy is the only thing so far that you need to worry about
It doesn't need 1300, that's just the power supply it ships with. It's over-rated for safety. If the manufacturer says it draws 288 mA or less at 9VDC, that's your number. What country you are in is irrelevant, the wall power gets converted to 9VDC anyway.

Same with 6 mA for the octave. I don't know why you're being told to ignore the manufacturer's specs, but that is the number you should be looking for. The number on the power supply isn't very useful, because as I said before they will specify an adapter with a much higher rating than the pedal actually draws. It's easier to just make one 250mA adapter than it is to make a 50, 100, 250.

The looper and the Digitech pedals you have are unusually high draw, so they were probably not what your store owner had in mind when suggesting this power supply. You could run 15 Boss overdrives off of that power supply, but the pedals you have are unusually high-draw. You could probably run your Boss and the octave off your supply, but that only eliminates one adapter. Probably not worth the cost.
I see, this makes everything clear. Thanks Roc8995 and monwobobbo!

This means I can run my octaver, the whammy, and various other pedals, such as a tuner, through the Black Box. Then I'll run the Looper normally, and not through the Black Box.

Thanks!
Be careful, though. You do not want to run right up to the capacity of the supply. I wouldn't go over 400 mA on a 500mA unit.
I've done some counting and I will get up to 438 mA. Is this acceptable or should I remove a pedal from my planning?
Quote by Roc8995
It doesn't need 1300, that's just the power supply it ships with. It's over-rated for safety. If the manufacturer says it draws 288 mA or less at 9VDC, that's your number. What country you are in is irrelevant, the wall power gets converted to 9VDC anyway.

Same with 6 mA for the octave. I don't know why you're being told to ignore the manufacturer's specs, but that is the number you should be looking for. The number on the power supply isn't very useful, because as I said before they will specify an adapter with a much higher rating than the pedal actually draws. It's easier to just make one 250mA adapter than it is to make a 50, 100, 250.

The looper and the Digitech pedals you have are unusually high draw, so they were probably not what your store owner had in mind when suggesting this power supply. You could run 15 Boss overdrives off of that power supply, but the pedals you have are unusually high-draw. You could probably run your Boss and the octave off your supply, but that only eliminates one adapter. Probably not worth the cost.

wasn't saying to ignore anything just want to make sure that that was accurate better safe then sorry. wasn't sure if different power standard made a difference so didn't want to overlook that and be wrong.