I started playing electric guitar about half a year ago and I am thinking about upgrading my guitar and maybe my amp. I play a Squier bullet Strat through a Traynor DG10 amp. The clean on this guitar is fine, i'm not sure if it's the guitar or amp but the distortion is not very good, especially at higher volumes. My budget is about 700$ although I would prefer not to spend that much, I want to get another guitar, I've tried a few and the best feeling overall were the strats, The sound I'm going for is something like a les paul, especially for distortion, but I don't like glossy necked guitars and les paul necks were too thick and sgs feel really awkward to me. What other types of guitar would I prefer? Is having a good guitar or a good amp better? Could I get both for that amount of money? What do you suggest?
Having a good amp is generally better. And yes I'd say you can get both for that money, you can get a yamaha pacifica HSS strat which is similiar but better than your current guitar plus a good amp for that money. The pacifica also has a humbucking pickup, so it's much closer to a les paul sound than the squier.
I could live with that guitar not that amp. You can do a lot with that strat.
Yamaha Pacifica is great guitar (don't get EG model,that is cheap and useless one). And for amp I would suggest Laney Cub 12R.
The bad distortion sound is due to your amp (usually bad sound is due to your amp - your guitar would sound decent through a good amp). But I would maybe upgrade both.

If you want more like a Les Paul style distortion but like Strats feel-wise, get a Strat with a bridge humbucker.

When you are starting, IMO guitar is more important than amp. You want a guitar that feels good in your hands and is easy to play. Sound-wise amp is more important. But I would rather play a great feeling guitar through a practice amp than a bad feeling guitar through a great amp. IMO when you are practicing, the tone doesn't need to be the best. Yes, it needs to be decent of course, but not the best in the world. I could live with my RP355 sounds - it doesn't really sound that good but not that bad either. Also, you can get pretty decent amps for pretty cheap.

But this is why people usually advise not to buy starter packs. You need to upgrade them almost immediately. They are just wasted money.

So buy both. It's your decision which you need more (spend more money on it). I bought my second guitar before I bought my second amp because I felt like I needed a new guitar before an amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ +1

the whole "what you need is a new amp" thing is a backlash against so many people who completely ignore the amp when they have really expensive guitars, and also sort of breaks down when you're looking at beginner gear, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not a fan of the "what you need is a new amp" thing, either.

The guitar is what you play; it's your instrument. It's what your hands become familiar with. I was lucky; my first guitar was a good quality guitar (a Gibson ES-335) and I still have it and still play it a few decades later. I didn't buy it to do one kind of guitar playing. It will and has done styles of music that have come and gone.

Amplification will vary over time, as will effects. My first guitar amplifier was a Vox Super Beatle (long gone), and I've got about 15 tube amps that I've used and accumulated over the years and the current hot setup is a modeler with whatever combination of amplifier/cabinet is needed for wherever I'm playing: powered recording monitors, power amp plus FRFR cabinets for some gigs, direct into the PA for others.

An amp is going to sound different whether it's in your basement/bedroom/garage or on stage. You're going to turn up the volume for a gig and your bottom end is going to go muddy. You're going to move to a different location and suddenly the hard floor and wall that were acoustically coupling with your amp are no longer there, etc., and so on. You're going to try to play a different splinter-genre that's popular and you'll suddenly need a differently voiced amp or effects (I have two of those split-top bins packed carefully but overflowing with pedals, some of which are now considered <*AcK!*> vintage). I like the modeler -- I'm spending nearly $400/month on storage for bulky gear I don't often need. The modeler covers most of those amps, cabs and FX and fits in the gig bag pocket. And I can practice at full bloody bore with headphones and a baby can sleep in the next room.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 30, 2013,
I don't mind the "what you need is a new amp" suggestion when it's suitable and actually tailored to the thread in question- and to be fair, most if not all of the regulars do do that. It's the semi-regulars or not-even-regulars who carelessly and flippantly throw out the "what you need is a new amp" thing whether it's suitable advice or not, if you ask me. They're almost pointing and laughing at the TS's crap gear, rather than actually trying to help. Which is messed up, if you ask me. I don't feel awesome that I have nice gear and others don't, I feel sad. If I could click my fingers and give everyone nice gear, I would.

But I'd agree that there are definitely certain situations where it's not advice I'd necessarily agree with. If you're running a beginner pack, what you really need are a new guitar *and* a new amp, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 1, 2013,
If you don't mind buying used. You could get a mexican standard stratocaster along with a peavey vypr amp for about that price. That way you get something "new" in both fields. Also you might want to look into an HSS strat which would be a humbucker in the bridge, single in the middle and neck. Just a suggestion though!