Hey

At my gig last night my Martin dropped off the strap and hit the floor (totally my fault, no strap lock, learned my lesson didn't I?)

In the bottom front corner of the body there is a bit of a dent and splitting dent where the top meets the sides (Its a D-15 Mahogany if that helps) I am sure it can be 'buffed' out, and the guitar is still all held together.

However, this morning when I took a look and there was a piece of 'framing' loose, so I picked it out. Now when I play a chord or anything you can hear a strong ratting from inside the body near where it hit the ground. It almost sounds like a slight overdriven sound, if I can compare it to anything.

I am not sure if that sound is being made from the damage, or the bracing on the guitar is damaged. Any ideas? If you know what it is, any idea what it will cost to fix?
that stinks. only way to tell would be to remove the strings and use a cheap mechanics mirror( coupla bucks at most auto parts stores) to see how much internal damage was done.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Well, it sounds like a brace may have popped loose, or perhaps even a section of the kerfing inside. Not a big job to fix, but the necessary clamping tools are something only a technician would be likely to have....
Looks like a trip to the local luthier is in order.
Regluing a loose brace is a simple and fairly cheap task.

If you also cracked the side wood and that needs regluing too your looking at a bit more extensive repair and money. Lucky for you the D-15M does not have any finish on the sides really so you won't need a finish touch up too.
Take it to a luthier

He'll have the tools and the knowledge to fix it right...

JMHO..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Agree with the above - I did the same thing with my Martin. Take to a luthier you will not regret and it is surprisingly good value (£75 in my case)
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and will be taking her to the Luthier on Monday afternoon! Talked to him on the phone (they know me at the shop in town, I am there quite often) and he said without seeing the issues it should be tops a $200 (CAN) job. Not the worst!
Quote by Moose_Guitarist
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and will be taking her to the Luthier on Monday afternoon! Talked to him on the phone (they know me at the shop in town, I am there quite often) and he said without seeing the issues it should be tops a $200 (CAN) job. Not the worst!

Drop a lot of Martin's do we ???B-)
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
Drop a lot of Martin's do we ???B-)

Ahaha no no, thankfully! Just in the shop a lot and I always go back to to the repair room to say hello.
It seems I'm late to the party here.

As Step suggests, buy a small mirror, and look inside.

"Titebond" or similar wood adhesive can be used to reattach the braces.

"Crazy Glue", (or any CyA adhesive), can be used to stop a crack from moving or lengthening.
As for your baby's first booboo, keep in mind you have to pay extra for guitars with, "distressed" finishes.

Heavy gauge medical syringes can be used to squirt wood glue into a tight joint.

I once glued the entire bracing system back into a 70's Martin. It was probably a victim of central heat, without a humidifier. Sounded fine when I was done.

Here's a "distressed" Martin! , As I recall, it belongs to Willie Nelson:

Dear Lord, does smoking too much weed make your poor hands look that old..? (Never mind, he's 80 now. That's probably what did it)...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 2, 2013,