Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

I have an Orange Rocker 30 combo which I kinda love, well I love the clean and low gain tones but at higher gain it just gets fizzy and no tight gain for any modern rock. Fantastic amp but it's pretty damn loud for me (master almost never goes over 3) and I think I want something else.

I have it up for sale locally and it will probably go fast so that's no problem.

I've had an eye on the Jet City JCA22h for a while (actually a year or so) and I've always loved the way it sounds on demos. It seems to have fantastic crunch and awesome tight high gain for modern rock. I know it doesn't really have a clean channel but I THINK it should do if I run the master high and gain low (can also drop a lower gain preamp tube in there to cool it down) - I'd love to get thoughts on this though.

I have a slight problem, I live in Iceland and thomann don't have it in stock untill Feb 2014. Ampfactory however has the JCA22H and the 24S (2x12) cab on sale for 500$.

My question is, will the JCA22H give me some nice cleans, will it do vintage, modern and hard rock with some bluesy stuff as well?
AND - are the JCA cabs any good? I was gonna get the Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cab but Ampfactory only has the Head+Cab together, no head seperate.

Thanks!

EDIT:
I have also been considering the Orange Dual Terror and I can get one locally for a decent price. I like Orange stuff, and love the Tiny Terror though I've never tried the Dual but I will next week.
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Nov 30, 2013,
Heres a question, do you use a tubesreamer with your rocker 30? If not then I suggest trying it first before you sell it as it might be what you're missing. I use one with mine and its sounds great! I only have my gain at half way on mine with it.

The JCA22H should be able to do those, I'd suggest getting a tubescreamer aswell anyway like this one to make it sound tighter: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm

If you get it you can always sell the cab and get the harley benton 212 instead.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by blything09
Heres a question, do you use a tubesreamer with your rocker 30? If not then I suggest trying it first before you sell it as it might be what you're missing. I use one with mine and its sounds great! I only have my gain at half way on mine with it.

The JCA22H should be able to do those, I'd suggest getting a tubescreamer aswell anyway like this one to make it sound tighter: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm

If you get it you can always sell the cab and get the harley benton 212 instead.

I have a MXR GT-OD (pretty much just a ts808 clone, but still a bit different haha), also have a Clark Gainster clone and a Joyo Ultimate Drive.

The Rocker LOVES my Clark, doesn't love the MXR as much and the UD is okay but not really tight for high gain stuff, can get awesome smooth lead though.

How are you running your rocker volume wise and what settings? also, how heavy are you getting?

EDIT: I love it with the gain on 5-6, sounds fantastic with my LTD EC-1000 (SD pickups no EMG crap) but when I turn the gain over 7 it gets fizzy, can tighten it up a bit with the TS but not enough for some modern rock tones. The Rocker is kinda vintage voiced.
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Nov 30, 2013,
Are you using the OD's as a boost? Volume maxed, gain off and tone to taste

Where do you live?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Are you using the OD's as a boost? Volume maxed, gain off and tone to taste

Where do you live?

I use the MXR as a boost just as any TS should be used, I have the clark with gain at around 3-4 and volume 7-8 (out of 10 that is).

I live in Iceland as stated above.
I lived in Keflavik for a year back in 1998-99 on the old Navy Base, awesome place IMO.

The jet city should work ok, but realize it does not have a real clean sound at higher volumes. It is a 2 channel amp that has a crunch and a lead channel, not a clean channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I lived in Keflavik for a year back in 1998-99 on the old Navy Base, awesome place IMO.

The jet city should work ok, but realize it does not have a real clean sound at higher volumes. It is a 2 channel amp that has a crunch and a lead channel, not a clean channel

Haha cool! That Old Navy Base is a desert now, hundreds and hundreds of empty apartments, probably only a couple hundred peeps that live there. But it's a cool place, wish I had seen it when it was in full action :P

Anyway, I don't really need cleans at a loud volume right now as I'm not in a band but that might change after christmas. If we get serious and I need louder cleans I'm fine with either upgrading to the 50w head or getting a new amp. As of now I just need nice sounding cleans.
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
I have a MXR GT-OD (pretty much just a ts808 clone, but still a bit different haha), also have a Clark Gainster clone and a Joyo Ultimate Drive.

The Rocker LOVES my Clark, doesn't love the MXR as much and the UD is okay but not really tight for high gain stuff, can get awesome smooth lead though.

How are you running your rocker volume wise and what settings? also, how heavy are you getting?

EDIT: I love it with the gain on 5-6, sounds fantastic with my LTD EC-1000 (SD pickups no EMG crap) but when I turn the gain over 7 it gets fizzy, can tighten it up a bit with the TS but not enough for some modern rock tones. The Rocker is kinda vintage voiced.

When I practice with my band i usually have the volume roughly about halfway, and the gain the same with my tubescreamer always on. It sounds great for Rock.

What sort of stuff do you play? like what bands tones do you like thats similar to yours? if you play metal the Rocker is not really suited for it

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Last edited by blything09 at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by blything09
When I practice with my band i usually have the volume roughly about halfway, and the gain the same with my tubescreamer always on. It sounds great for Rock.

What sort of stuff do you play? like what bands tones do you like thats similar to yours? if you play metal the Rocker is not really suited for it

No metal here.

What I love it for is lower gain stuff, think Foo Fighters, Zeppelin, Arctic Monkeys - you see where I'm going?

What I feel it lacking for is modern rock and a bit heavier, think Shinedown, Daughtry and similar and then something heavier like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Breaking Benjamin, something in that direction.

Sorry, I always find it hard to describe what I'm going for but I want something that does lower gain more vintage type rock tones and also higher gain modern rock tones.

Did that help at all ?
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
No metal here.

What I love it for is lower gain stuff, think Foo Fighters, Zeppelin, Arctic Monkeys - you see where I'm going?

What I feel it lacking for is modern rock and a bit heavier, think Shinedown, Daughtry and similar and then something heavier like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Breaking Benjamin, something in that direction.

Sorry, I always find it hard to describe what I'm going for but I want something that does lower gain more vintage type rock tones and also higher gain modern rock tones.

Did that help at all ?

Ohhh right, well in that case I see your point, its not really suited for higher gain stuff so the Jet city might be the way to go then

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by blything09
Ohhh right, well in that case I see your point, its not really suited for higher gain stuff so the Jet city might be the way to go then

Exactly, glad I made my point hehe

I still feel horrible letting the Rocker go as I absolutely love it for cleans, cleanish bluesy stuff and the low gain tones. I've never played through an amp that comes near the Rocker for these tones.

Not sure how the JC handles the low gain and cleanish stuff. But I guess if I hate it I can always get another Rocker.
I own, gig and recorded with the JCA 50H. I usually run it through either my Mesa 212, or Randall 212+115 cab.

I LOVE the gain channel on this amp! Set it around 3 for a solid rock distortion, 5 for a more modern rock/hard rock distortion, and 7 + starts getting an 80's metal type tone. This thing has a pretty good amount of gain on tap. I Personally usually stay somewhere between 3-5. I get a solid modern rock guitar tone there. I rarely put the gain past 6. Like I said there's a lot of gain on this thing. Around 8 I think it starts to get muddy, unless you really play with an EQ.

A good external EQ does wounder's for this amp. I use the MXR 10-band, and it really tightens the amp up.

The cleans on this amp aren't amazing, but there not bad either. I find the best way to maintain clean headroom is to keep the pre-gain on 2 and use the master to control level. Once the pre gets past 3.4-4, you will start to get some breakup. Crank the pre right up, and you will actually get a solid 70's rock distorted tone

Im actually thinking of A/B my Vox AC30CCH with my JC for a new band I'm in, but thats only because I really need pristine cleans for quite a few songs. In my previous band I just used the JC. I actually really like the clean channels breakup for most stuff.

Overall, I'd say the 50H is a great little amp. It has a solid distorted tone, and a usable cleans. It takes pedals well. I've had my for almost a year now. I've beat it around to dozens of gigs and band rehearsals and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I highly recommend this amp. Great value
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I own, gig and recorded with the JCA 50H. I usually run it through either my Mesa 212, or Randall 212+115 cab.

I LOVE the gain channel on this amp! Set it around 3 for a solid rock distortion, 5 for a more modern rock/hard rock distortion, and 7 + starts getting an 80's metal type tone. This thing has a pretty good amount of gain on tap. I Personally usually stay somewhere between 3-5. I get a solid modern rock guitar tone there. I rarely put the gain past 6. Like I said there's a lot of gain on this thing. Around 8 I think it starts to get muddy, unless you really play with an EQ.

A good external EQ does wounder's for this amp. I use the MXR 10-band, and it really tightens the amp up.

The cleans on this amp aren't amazing, but there not bad either. I find the best way to maintain clean headroom is to keep the pre-gain on 2 and use the master to control level. Once the pre gets past 3.4-4, you will start to get some breakup. Crank the pre right up, and you will actually get a solid 70's rock distorted tone

Im actually thinking of A/B my Vox AC30CCH with my JC for a new band I'm in, but thats only because I really need pristine cleans for quite a few songs. In my previous band I just used the JC. I actually really like the clean channels breakup for most stuff.

Overall, I'd say the 50H is a great little amp. It has a solid distorted tone, and a usable cleans. It takes pedals well. I've had my for almost a year now. I've beat it around to dozens of gigs and band rehearsals and I haven't had any issues with it at all. I highly recommend this amp. Great value

Sounds abot right for me, how does it do lower gain?

Also - has anybody got feedback on the Jet City Cabs?
Jet city cabs are built nice, but the speakers are lacking.

The Harley Benton G212 vintage cab is an excellent value at www.thomann.de and they have the Jet City amps for really cheap also (if you were not aware)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah, go for something with vintage 30's.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
yeah, go for something with vintage 30's.

I prefer V12's with them, but that is what Soldano loads in his cabs. But for the price they cost, the HB 212vintage is hard to beat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Jet city cabs are built nice, but the speakers are lacking.

The Harley Benton G212 vintage cab is an excellent value at www.thomann.de and they have the Jet City amps for really cheap also (if you were not aware)

As i posted in the thread above Thomann is out of stock and wont get a restock untill feb 2014. Ampfactory only has the head+ cab, not seperate heads
^ is that shop in the USA? the voltage is (presumably) different from iceland, I'm guessing iceland is ~220-240V?

Unless you're desperate i'd just wait for thomann.

jet city has a UK online store too with similar prices, but I'm guessing postage would be the killer.

Quote by Robbgnarly
I prefer V12's with them, but that is what Soldano loads in his cabs. But for the price they cost, the HB 212vintage is hard to beat

+1

I prefer v12s but v30s work pretty well (IMO) with them too, and the price is hard to beat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ is that shop in the USA? the voltage is (presumably) different from iceland, I'm guessing iceland is ~220-240V?

Unless you're desperate i'd just wait for thomann.

jet city has a UK online store too with similar prices, but I'm guessing postage would be the killer.

+1

I prefer v12s but v30s work pretty well (IMO) with them too, and the price is hard to beat.

Voltage is not an issue, JC amps are 110-220v.

The UK store is out of stock also untill 2014, they will have the 1 channel heads in stock soon but I want 2. Thomann will have the combo in stock next week tho.
What about JCA50h? Its only few ten € more on thomann and is in stock. Volume difference is neglible but it should have more headroom.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
What about JCA50h? Its only few ten € more on thomann and is in stock. Volume difference is neglible but it should have more headroom.

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
Voltage is not an issue, JC amps are 110-220v.

ah i didn't realise that

and yeah the 50 might be worth a look. Ironically enough, from what i hear the 20 watt 2-channel head actually has slightly more gain and more bass because its loop is in a different place in the circuit (normally it's the opposite, more power = more bass), but if you want it now, the 50 might well be the way to go.

and yeah if you want high gain you want the 2 channel 20 watter, the single channel is the cleaner channel of the 2 channer version, far as i'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MaaZeus

Is the 50w version really "not much louder" ?

I need to be able to sound good at bedroom volumes too so that's why I wanted the 20w version.
I really don't need a huge amp, I think somewhere between 15 and 20 watts is perfect for me.

I have a Blackstar HT-5 head as well for the bedroom but it's really not that good and I'm probably selling it soon after getting the JC.
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah i didn't realise that

and yeah the 50 might be worth a look. Ironically enough, from what i hear the 20 watt 2-channel head actually has slightly more gain and more bass because its loop is in a different place in the circuit (normally it's the opposite, more power = more bass), but if you want it now, the 50 might well be the way to go.

and yeah if you want high gain you want the 2 channel 20 watter, the single channel is the cleaner channel of the 2 channer version, far as i'm aware.

Haha I love the JC amps for that, no problem buying it anywhere :P

I might look at the 50w version but I really think it's too powerful for me.

Are the speakers in the JC cabs that bad that I should either wait to buy from thomann or get the 50w if I want it now?
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
Is the 50w version really "not much louder" ?

I need to be able to sound good at bedroom volumes too so that's why I wanted the 20w version.
I really don't need a huge amp, I think somewhere between 15 and 20 watts is perfect for me.

I have a Blackstar HT-5 head as well for the bedroom but it's really not that good and I'm probably selling it soon after getting the JC.

Even the 20 watt JCA's are loud, the difference between the 20 and 50 watts is negligible. What you will notice is an increase in headroom with your cleans.

I have a 20 watt head and it is loud as hell, easily could gig with it un mic'd and I play in a Prog-metal band and a punk/hardcore band
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah 20 watts cranked up is pretty darn loud. obviously 50 is even louder, but as you said, not a massive difference. it's certainly not the difference between bedroom volume and gigging volume, heck i have a little 5 watt hayden petite 5, and to get bedroom volumes while relying on its preamp for distortion, i run the the master volume control at the exact same spot as I do on my 50 and 100 watt amps I.e. at about 1, maybe even slightly less.

I've tried far worse OEM speakers than the jet city ones but they don't really compare to "good" speakers, either. from my limited mucking about with them (I only tried them briefly as I already had better speakers to swap).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah 20 watts cranked up is pretty darn loud. obviously 50 is even louder, but as you said, not a massive difference. it's certainly not the difference between bedroom volume and gigging volume, heck i have a little 5 watt hayden petite 5, and to get bedroom volumes while relying on its preamp for distortion, i run the the master volume control at the exact same spot as I do on my 50 and 100 watt amps I.e. at about 1, maybe even slightly less.

I've tried far worse OEM speakers than the jet city ones but they don't really compare to "good" speakers, either. from my limited mucking about with them (I only tried them briefly as I already had better speakers to swap).

It's obviously not a huge difference when cranked but isn't there some difference at lower volumes? Say, I can turn the 20w up a little higher at home then the 50w?
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
It's obviously not a huge difference when cranked but isn't there some difference at lower volumes? Say, I can turn the 20w up a little higher at home then the 50w?

they are both MV amps, so they should sound relatively the same at lower volumes to loud on the 20 watt will be the same too loud on the 50 watt ( the position on the volume knob may be a bit different)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jonthorsigmunds

very slightly but i haven't noticed much difference. as i said, even with my 5 watters i'm not getting any power tube distortion at what i'd call "sensible home volumes". at least if i want any amount of preamp distortion. if i run them clean in the preamp i can get a little power tube thickening/break up at vaguely sensible home volumes with single enders (5 watters).

really the only tube amp i've got which i can get power tube distortion at vaguely sensible volume levels is my fame tube 5- which is a glorified fender champion 600 with a 6" jensen speaker whose efficiency is ~91dB (compared to most guitar speakers whose efficiency is closer to 100dB). And in that case it's the speaker which is making the most difference. And it's still loud enough that it's more comfortable if I stand outside the room while playing.

as i said, it's more like the difference between a small gig and a larger gig. you might get the power amp coming into things at a small gig with a 20 watter but not with a 50 watter, kind of thing.

it's a double-edged sword too, for certain things you actually want more headroom.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
very slightly but i haven't noticed much difference. as i said, even with my 5 watters i'm not getting any power tube distortion at what i'd call "sensible home volumes". at least if i want any amount of preamp distortion. if i run them clean i can get a little power tube thickening/break up at vaguely sensible home volumes with single enders (5 watters).

as i said, it's more like the difference between a small gig and a larger gig. you might get the power amp coming into things at a small gig with a 20 watter but not with a 50 watter, kind of thing.

it's a double-edged sword too, for certain things you actually want more headroom.

AHHH, this is too hard haha!
One problem though, the 50watter won't fit on top of a 2x12 cab vertical (I most likely need to keep it vertical as I have very limited space right now). Or for that matter, a 1x12 cab, not sure if I'd get the 1x12 v30 cab or the 2x12 v30 cab from thomann.
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
AHHH, this is too hard haha!
One problem though, the 50watter won't fit on top of a 2x12 cab vertical (I most likely need to keep it vertical as I have very limited space right now). Or for that matter, a 1x12 cab, not sure if I'd get the 1x12 v30 cab or the 2x12 v30 cab from thomann.

It will, but it will over hang the cab a bit on each side.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I edited my above post with a little more info

I'm not sure if the thomann 1x12 v30 cab is plywood. the 2x12 is (far as i'm aware- it looks like plywood to me but i'm no plywood afficionado ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I edited my above post with a little more info

I'm not sure if the thomann 1x12 v30 cab is plywood. the 2x12 is (far as i'm aware- it looks like plywood to me but i'm no plywood afficionado ).

Specs on 1x12:
Harley Benton G112 Vintage, guitar cabinet, 1x12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, 60 watts into 8 ohms, black Tolex thomann covering, half open back, trim strip, handle, 18 mm plywood enclosure, dimensions: 460 x 460 x 299 mm, weight: app. 14 kg

Specs on 2x12:
Harley Benton G212 Vintage guitar cabinet - 2x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, 120watts/8ohm, 2x 60watts/16ohm, mono/stereo (switchable). thomann Manufactured from 16mm plywood, black Tolex trim strip. Dimensions: 520 x 742 x 300mm. Weight: 25kg, dust cover option (# 270251)

So yea, both plywood
ah right, good spot

i'm sure someone at some point on some forum (not necessarily here) said that some of the thomann cabs claimed to be plywood and weren't.

but yeah if it is plywood then it's up to you. 2x12s normally sound a bit bigger but if you're only duffing about in your room you probably won't notice (and you probably wouldn't notice anyway unless you had the 2x12 next to it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah right, good spot

i'm sure someone at some point on some forum (not necessarily here) said that some of the thomann cabs claimed to be plywood and weren't.

but yeah if it is plywood then it's up to you. 2x12s normally sound a bit bigger but if you're only duffing about in your room you probably won't notice (and you probably wouldn't notice anyway unless you had the 2x12 next to it).

2x12s obviously sound bigger but I doubt it will make a huge difference, doesn't matter anyway space-wise if I get the 2x12 and flip it or use a 1x12, same width. the extra vertical height doesn't matter much.

The 20w +1x12 will cost me aprox. the same from thomann as the 20w+2x12 from ampfactory.
The 20w+2x12 from thomann is like 50€ ish more.
The 50w makes almost no diff. price wise
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Dec 1, 2013,
Another thing worth mentioning, maybe I should look into the combo, it will be in stock at thomann in 2 weeks and will cost me around 200$ less after shipping and customs.

I really wanted to get a head+cab but the portability of a combo is always a bonus. I don't care at all if it has reverb or not as I've heard it sucks and I'll stick a pedal in the loop anyway. If the speaker in the combo sucks I can always throw it away and put a v30 or something sweet in there.

I hate the look of it and really want a stack but maybe a combo is the smart way to go right now.
Get the combo and swap out the speaker to a v30 or eminence legend v12.

Don't worry about the 50watt being too loud for practice. I practice at home with mine all the time. It still sounds good quiet!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Yeah, swap out the stock speaker with a Eminence V12 ($75 USDnew)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2