Page 1 of 2
Hey everybody,

I currently own a Hp pavilion dv7 laptop. Its a nice laptop; handles most games really well (Mafia 2, starcraft 2, skyrim- all on medium-high settings). The biggest issue is that it can get really hot if im not careful and i must use a cooling fan.

My girlfriend is looking for a new laptop, and I was thinking of giving her mine and getting a more high powered machine. Im thinking a desktop tower would be the way to go, with an hdmi output to plug right into my hd tv for maximum enjoyment.

Im open to a pre-built tower, or I would be okay attempting to do my own build. There are so many options on ebay and guides on the internet, so i was really hoping somebody could streamline this for me and point me to a product or build.

Id like to spend around $350-600 if possible.
My goal is to be able to play games on complete ultra maxed out settings (is that possible for this price range?) without breaking too much of a sweat.
I dont need a ton of memory (500-750 gigs is fine).
I need a powerful and affordable graphics card and processor.

Thanks for any help!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

powerful
well built
cheap

pick 2

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
$600 max isn't going to get you a computer that can play modern games on max settings, but you could play most on medium without a problem.

Try to build your own because it's cheaper too
Quote by Xiaoxi
powerful
well built
cheap

pick 2

Powerful and cheap. Can you name any by that description for recording?
Quote by Watterboy

I dont need a ton of memory (500-750 gigs is fine)

lol

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Over here you need to be spending in the £1000-1500 range to be able to play modern games on Ultra Max settings.

Memory is RAM, not Hard Disk space.
Last edited by Malchius at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by Basti95
Powerful and cheap. Can you name any by that description for recording?

build your own with less than reputable parts

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Malchius
Over here you need to be spending in the £1000-1500 range to be able to play modern games on Ultra Max settings.

I spent something like $900-1000 CAD (and everything is a bit overpriced compared to American prices) and I'm running Battlefield 4 maxed out. I'm just barely staying locked at 60 frames, sure. But I'm hanging in there still. For a 2-3 year outdated build I'm doing alright.

I'd recommend saving up a bit more than $600 if you have standards that high. Definitely build yourself, will save you quite a bit. If I can do it anybody can do it.
Quote by Malchius

lolwhat?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Malchius
What too low or high?

Too high. I mean, if you're buying a pre-built computer then you're certainly right, but if you build it yourself, which you'd be a fool not to, then I'd say £600-£800 would do, probably cheaper if you can find a good cheap graphics card.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Too high. I mean, if you're buying a pre-built computer then you're certainly right, but if you build it yourself, which you'd be a fool not to, then I'd say £600-£800 would do, probably cheaper if you can find a good cheap graphics card.
That sounds like it'd be around the $1000 range, which is fine but not exactly maxed out/OC friendly level of "fine".

Anyways, just a technicality. Gaming's gay anywayz

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Todd Hart

For a decent gaming rig that'll play games well and doesn't overheat, I agree. But if you want to play all the modern games on their highest graphical settings you'll need to spend a bit more.
Go ask here, most users there are really nice and know what they're talking about. With all the sales going on now you can get a damn good pc for around $600
Last edited by Thrill-house at Nov 30, 2013,
Uh... a $600 build won't hold up. Maybe it will work with "current" games, but as times goes on, games will need more and more muscle to be playable on maxed out settings. You don't build a rig for now, you build a rig for at least a few years in the future.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Nov 30, 2013,
Sorry if I sounded like an idiot in my initial post- im not incredibly computer savvy. I just know a few general things. And compared to the ampunt of memory computers come with now (>1 TB) i didnt think 500 Gb is that much. But yeah, i guess ill keep saving so i can get something thatll last awhile. Thanks for the replies
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Malchius

Memory is RAM, not Hard Disk space.

This.

I built my own desktop about 2 years ago. I spent around £1200 on it and at the time it was capable of running most things but nothing AAA on max.

Motherboard - The base of your computer. Buy a good one and when you come to wanting to upgrade you'll be rewarded.

Processor - The core(s) of your computer. I find i5 2500-k to work fine for me personally.

GPU - Get something new and up-to-date, you want to play on the best settings? Buy the best graphics card you can! Could cost anywhere around £300-£600 you decide.

PSU - To even be able to have a great GPU you'll need a Power Supply with a wattage high enough to run it. 700-750W is a good choice.

RAM - You don't want anything less than 8GB nowadays. 16GB if you can afford it.

HDD - I have 500GB and it works fine.

Other things you have to think of are cooling systems, your tower, monitor, peripherals and shizz.

Expect to need to upgrade some hardware every 2-3 years (unless you bought the best you possibly could each time)
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Watterboy
Sorry if I sounded like an idiot in my initial post- im not incredibly computer savvy. I just know a few general things. And compared to the ampunt of memory computers come with now (>1 TB) i didnt think 500 Gb is that much. But yeah, i guess ill keep saving so i can get something thatll last awhile. Thanks for the replies

You can build a pretty decent gaming computer with the budget you gave in the first post.
Quote by Thrill-house
You can build a pretty decent gaming computer with the budget you gave in the first post.

will he be able to play intensive games maxed out at all? two years from now? doubt it. my computer is struggling after two years and i put 400 more in and got some good deals.
ultra maxed out on a $600 budget, from scratch? you're gonna be kinda disappointed. video card alone is gonna be at least $200.

r/buildapc was a great resource for me when i built my first one.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Thrashtastic15
will he be able to play intensive games maxed out at all? two years from now? doubt it. my computer is struggling after two years and i put 400 more in and got some good deals.

I said decent, not top of the line for the next 2 years. He could spend $600 now, and add on to it over awhile
Had a go, even with an R9 270x graphics card (which is by no means the best, nor the worst) it was $615 I believe, if you don't need to buy an OS then that's something like $80 saved.
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Quote by Thrill-house
I said decent, not top of the line for the next 2 years. He could spend $600 now, and add on to it over awhile

Cheaper in the long run to build the best most cost effective system you can currently instead of having to upgrade it sooner before later.

If someone is capable of running games on max settings on a $600 computer then they should definitely share their secret because I would love to know how.

I don't believe for a second you'd be able to build something for under $1000 (£800) that was capable of what you're after sorry.

Quote by metal4eva_22
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cmtT

Windows being so expensive kinda ruins it but that can be taken out if you already have it or want to go Linux.
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Quote by Wormholes
Get an alienware bro

Alienware are the Apple of the PC gaming world. Look fancy but are overpriced to shit.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
Alienware are the Apple of the PC gaming world. Look fancy but are overpriced to shit.

It's kinda like Ibanez' marketing except as you said, overpriced to shit.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Malchius
You joking?

Definitly srs. Only the most 1337 fps probros use alienware. Every thing else is for poor noobs. They have cool lights too.
Of course a mid to high end gaming PC can be built on $600. If not including OS/peripherals(keyboard mouse) and Monitor.. Then all that is required is a half decent GPU (max $250), a s****y mother board (max $50), That leaves $300 for a 500gig hard drive and a AMD CPU an d some ram, fans etc. It will not be top of the line but it will max most PC titles. The idea would be to purchase from a store which sells used PC hardware but includes at least a 12 month warranty (such as CEX).
Quote by kingking22
Of course a mid to high end gaming PC can be built on $600. If not including OS/peripherals(keyboard mouse) and Monitor.. Then all that is required is a half decent GPU (max $250), a s****y mother board (max $50), That leaves $300 for a 500gig hard drive and a AMD CPU an d some ram, fans etc. It will not be top of the line but it will max most PC titles. The idea would be to purchase from a store which sells used PC hardware but includes at least a 12 month warranty (such as CEX).

So it IS possible? Because I dont need to buy an OS (I already have Windows 7), and i have an external keyboard, and i was planning on using my tv as the screen w hdmi
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

TVs don't have that good a resolution unless you've paid for a really decent one. Regular browsing is next to impossible on a TV as well.

Quote by Diamond Dave
"Memory" can refer to volatile or non-volatile memory just so you know...

I know it can, But RAM is Primary Memory and Hard Drives are Secondary Memory, that's why "Memory" almost always means RAM.
Quote by Watterboy
Im open to a pre-built tower, or I would be okay attempting to do my own build. There are so many options on ebay and guides on the internet, so i was really hoping somebody could streamline this for me and point me to a product or build.

Don't go pre-built, unless you buy it new (on a deal) at newegg.com or something.

Id like to spend around $350-600 if possible
My goal is to be able to play games on complete ultra maxed out settings (is that possible for this price range?) without breaking too much of a sweat.

$600 is pushing it. If you want maxed out settings, you'll probably need $1,000.

A 1TB hard drive is like $50 these days. Why bother with any less on a desktop?

I need a powerful and affordable graphics card and processor.

Yes, you do. But there's no way in hell you're getting a top end gpu for your price. A mid-range gpu? Yes. Top end? No, not a chance.
Just the tower?

Get a cheap atx mid tower (antec 300 say), an i5-2500k (or whatever the cheapest equivalent unlocked one ism the 3000 series or 4000 series may be cheaper atm) and corresponding mobo (I'd suggest an Asus Z87 mid range one of it's 2000 series), and an nVidia 660 GTX (preferably 2GB VRAM or above), then 8GB of RAM.

The rest is filler. A cheapish PSU, a cheapish HDD, a dirt cheap disc drive.

That would likely set you back £600 after shipping. Of course shopping around will help bring that down. Can always cut back a little on the GPU, and overclock it to it's limit instead.
Last edited by SG_dave at Nov 30, 2013,
Quote by Malchius
I know it can, But RAM is Primary Memory and Hard Drives are Secondary Memory, that's why "Memory" almost always means RAM.

ultimately referring to RAM or Hard Disk space as "memory" alone is too vague, but is also never wrong either way.

if I said that I went to a ball game the other day and LeBron killed it you know I'm not talking about baseball. You're not wrong that people more often associate memory with RAM, but the dismissive lol (and implied "memory is RAM you noob") comment from Xiaoxi is all too common and completely misguided IMO.

EDIT:^ I would never go for a "cheap" PSU, it doesn't have to be 500W more powerful than you need, but it HAS to be high quality IMO.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Nov 30, 2013,
Page 1 of 2