Hello,

While I love AC/DCs crunch and admire Slashs smooth lead tone, but recently I have started to roll off the tone, and let the amps high gain harmonics take over the tone.

Does anybody else take this approach to lead tone?

If not, what do you like?

Info:
I'm using an Ibanez RG570DX, a Fender HSS Strat and a Les Paul copy.
I've got a Marshall JVM1 head and a Silver Jubilee copy that go into a 1960 cab.

When I use my electro harmonix nano muff overdrive turned all the way up, I don't need to roll off the tone.
yep i find that rolling down the tone knob i get a nice tone especially on the ultra channel of my jsx which is very articulate and with the tone knob all the way up it feels too fizzy(i feel a retube is in order)
Rolling off the tone (usually on the neck pickup) is a no-brainer and has been around forever.

Also, I think it's kind of funny that you say you admire Slash's smooth tone and then say that you do something 'differently'. The smooth tone he gets comes precisely from rolling off the tone knob. Same with Clapton. Same with a lot of players.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
My favorite lead tone would have to be Marty Friedmans lead tone in the song "Lucretia".
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
There's a lot of lead tones I like. Most of them, boosting the mids is a must. Can't really "take the lead" if you don't boost up the main audible frequency of the guitar.

It usually sounds really smooth and silky, so yeah, backing off the highs a little bit is a good idea.

One of my favorite leads has to be a big muff driven lead, like on old Smashing Pumpkins or Dinosaur Jr.

Another favorite lead is the boosted mids sound on In Flame's Jester Race album.

It's all preference though, but in a general ballpark or all decent lead tones, you'll want to have boosted mids.
ive been trying to nail Santana "smooth" with mere mortal, layman's gear at home. i am convinced the only way to do it is leave your wah on cocked back, among other things. it competely filters out a lot of the highs and gives that middy, throaty vocal lead tone. and then for the solo parts that SCREAM you can dip down the way a bit and get the HIs back in.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I agree with Clay-man. A nice mid range tone is nice. I like mostly newer metal. Trivium, Disturbed, and Parkway Drive have my favorite guitar tones. Avenged Sevenfold is good but I dont like that all of their lead parts are super high notes. It gets old.
Quote by ikey_
ive been trying to nail Santana "smooth" with mere mortal, layman's gear at home. i am convinced the only way to do it is leave your wah on cocked back, among other things. it competely filters out a lot of the highs and gives that middy, throaty vocal lead tone. and then for the solo parts that SCREAM you can dip down the way a bit and get the HIs back in.

If you have a Les Paul style guitar wired like a 50's Les Paul, you can get that throaty tone easily. Middle position, both volumes wide open, bridge tone all the way off and neck tone wide open. Sounds cool with a little gain. Also, pretty sure Santana use pretty high amounts of gain for his solos but somehow keeps it real tight sounding. But Smooth is a great song.