I have a few questions that need to be addressed. First, how do you slap without hurting yourself? I want to do a heavy, metallic slap on my bass. Instead I always hurt my thumb and the bass produces an unpleasant thump. I like the sound of other's slapping though.

Second, how do you palm mute fast? I've never really understood the technique to begin with and all the information I find is quite cryptic. I love Heavy Metal and know it's an important technique. Anyone know any secrets, tips, ect.

Finally does anyone have bass tabs for "Slick" (Matthew Patel's song from "Scott Pilgrim Vs The World"). I can find neither tabs nor tips on playing Bollywood music (the style the song is imitating). I'm a bassist and guitarist and would highly appreciate some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5KsSI4YTA
That's the song in question.
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Nov 30, 2013,
Not to sound like a dick, but why the hell would you want to learn a stupid song like that? Or anything "Bollywood", for that matter?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
For one, I really like that song and it's not stupid. I started the thread to answer some questions and learn techniques (slapping, palm mutes, ect). I also became a Scott Pilgrim Fan and wanted to learn "Slick". Now does anyone at least have advice?
Do you know how to palm mute?

So, you rest your palm on the strings - and you want to have your palm pretty near the bridge, otherwise it will just mute the strings. This gives a tighter sound with less sustain. But what do you mean by palm muting fast? I mean, usually if you play fast parts, every note is palm muted so you just have your palm on the strings all the time. Palm muting isn't that usual technique on bass - yes, it is used but not as often as on guitar.

And about slapping (and also palm muting) - have you watched any videos? Check out MarloweDK. There are 6 beginner slap bass lessons, start with them. He's a great player and also has some cool licks and grooves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkLG0KoUfM

Oh, and about that song you posted... I don't know if it even has a bass guitar in it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 1, 2013,
Salp is all about feel, timing and technique. It is one of those maddeningly frustrating things that is easy once you go through all of the trouble and effort to learn how to do it properly. Most bassists initially find that they can slap better on the "D" and the "A" strings than they can on the "E" string. The Lowest string always seems to make a "thud" until you figure out the technique.

Your best bet is to look at the seemingly endless videos on YouTube and such for beginning slap. Once you nail the basics, you should progress rather quickly.

As for hurting yourself; a lot of people tend to slap the strings right about where the fretboard ends. Depending on the design of the neck/fretboard on your bass, you could end up with a nasty bruise on your thumb if you strike there. Another way to hurt yourself is to strike the strings with far too much force. That "E" string is basically solid metal. more that 1/10th of an inch thick. Go easy on it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks for showing me that slapping video and the advice. The main reason I asked about palm muting is because I also play guitar. As for that song, you can transcribe the melody for bass (like what my guitar teacher does). What I meant by palm muting fast is for riffs like "Enter Sandman" and stuff (still have no clue what to do).

Thanks for trying.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Not to sound like a dick, but why the hell would you want to learn a stupid song like that? Or anything "Bollywood", for that matter?

Fuck off. There's no place for that kind of attitude here.

TS, for palm muting try using the fleshy bit on the outside of your hand to mute and then the upper part of your thumb to "drive" the pick. It's a hard thing to explain. Try watching some YouTube videos of the players you're trying to emulate and really focus on their right hand. You'll find there's a few different ways to achieve the same end result, find the one that works best for you.

Speed is just about practising and sticking with it, it'll come in time.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Dec 1, 2013,
Thanks but I'm a finger-picker (just play faster and more accurately that way).
There's no law saying you can't do both.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The only rule that states I can't pick is the rule of preference (I get sloppy with a pick and do better with my fingers). There's also no rule stating you have to use a pick in Metal (sorry if I sound rude). So how would I palm mute without using one?

I'd also like a bass transcription of "Slick" (I know there isn't any bass but you can transcribe the melody in bass tab). I got into Scott Pilgrim recently and noticed there's no tabs for that particular song.

Have a nice day (No really).
My point was that sometimes finger style works better, sometimes a pick works better. Being proficient with both is a really valuable trick to have up your sleeve. I believe that a big part of being a good bass player is to best support the song you're playing. Sometimes slapping works better, you know what I mean?
I've never really put finger style palm muting and speed together, it's generally something I'd use to try and emulate the sound of an upright bass if I needed to. I imagine you'd want to build up a lot of thumb strength if you wanted to go that way.
Try sitting down and listening to that song with your bass and see if you can figure it out yourself by listening, another really valuable skill. Your teacher should be able to help you further with this.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Thanks, I agree that ear training is a very useful skill and I've been practicing it for a while. The problem is the style of "Slick" is too different for me to figure out (I'm a metal-head). I was asking for some tips on playing Bollywood style bass so I could have some incite on the song.

I'm a guitarist but play bass because I love the instrument's sound and like to use bass tablature. So what is Palm muting and how do you slap?
Quote by RonaldPoe
Thanks, I agree that ear training is a very useful skill and I've been practicing it for a while. The problem is the style of "Slick" is too different for me to figure out (I'm a metal-head). I was asking for some tips on playing Bollywood style bass so I could have some incite on the song.

I'm a guitarist but play bass because I love the instrument's sound and like to use bass tablature. So what is Palm muting and how do you slap?

I would just learn to use pick. Instead of pick you could also use your thumb. When you play "Enter Sandman", do you use three fingers or just thumb? If you don't want to use a pick, you can use your thumb as your "pick". Palm muting just doesn't really work that well for normal fingerstyle.

And if you can't use pick right now, it just means you should practice using pick. Even if you prefer playing fingerstyle, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to use pick. You should use what the song needs you to use. Pick and fingers sound different. So learn to use pick. It's not that hard. Just start slowly and you'll become a lot more accurate.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I am a Slap Bass player my advice to you when it comes to heavy slap is to practice tapping your thumb on objects and getting it to rebound as quickly as possible. What i mean is, you want your thumb to lift off the string quicker than the quickest thing you can imagine! Play around hitting different parts of your thumb too. Every slap player has a slightly different "angle of attack" no one is wrong, it's what's right for you!!

As for muting - as a bassist my muting is all done on the fretting hand equally as fast as the slapping hand. This makes for a much better chugg!

If you want to hear what my slap sound is like have a listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdawNbsL0Q

I hope this helps!
Thanks everyone! Burien, I just barely learned to slap through your advice. Palm muting is just something I'll leave to the leads, I guess. All that's left is "Slick". Got any tips to playing that song and/or style?

I appreciate everyone's help.
Quote by consecutive e
Fuck off. There's no place for that kind of attitude here.

Cry about it some more.

If you can't handle negative criticism, then you don't belong on a public forum.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Burien
I am a Slap Bass player my advice to you when it comes to heavy slap is to practice tapping your thumb on objects and getting it to rebound as quickly as possible. What i mean is, you want your thumb to lift off the string quicker than the quickest thing you can imagine! Play around hitting different parts of your thumb too. Every slap player has a slightly different "angle of attack" no one is wrong, it's what's right for you!!

As for muting - as a bassist my muting is all done on the fretting hand equally as fast as the slapping hand. This makes for a much better chugg!

If you want to hear what my slap sound is like have a listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdawNbsL0Q

I hope this helps!

Nice, I enjoyed that a lot. Is that your (your band, I mean) song? Or a cover?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree that was a nice performance, Burian. Was that Your band? Also thanks for the slapping tip. Just wish I could get some advice for "Slick" (The song above).

To Sleeze Disease, I'm okay with you not liking that song but what do you have against India (The place Bollywood is part of)? I had a friend from India and he was very interesting and kind.