So I'm not a drummer by any means. I can play basic beats and a few fills, but that's about it. I've mostly picked up drums from sitting at friend's kits after band practices and messing around until I learn something.

So here's my question:

When you do a gallop beat [8 16 16], what's the best way to do it? I can do a faux-gallop where I just do the kick on the + and the a, but I want to get it to where I can hit on the beats as well.

Should I do R RLR RLR RLR RLR RLR

or

R LRL RLR LRL RLR LRL RLR ......
Check out my band Disturbed
I play them: R RLR RLR RLR. You should, however, try it both ways and see which one feels the most natural for you.
You should work on leading with either foot. That will expand your ability to put different bass drum patterns in different places in the measure. Try starting the 16th pattern on the & of 2 or on 3, it will teach you to start with either foot.
Very interesting post and answers. Thanks for sharing. Do you know of anyone who does this pattern with just one foot using the heel-toe approach?
Quote by Jeremy.R5544998
Very interesting post and answers. Thanks for sharing. Do you know of anyone who does this pattern with just one foot using the heel-toe approach?

Chris Adler does this but still uses his slave for the 3rd count of the gallop.
I WAS BORN
THE SON OF THE SON OF GOD