Hi there,

I'm afraid this is a bit of a newbie question as I don't have too much experience using lots of pedals. I am in a trio where I predominantly use a clean sound, but there are two other tone situations:

A) I need the tone to break up a little bit when I dig in with the pick and play louder, without the tone of the guitar being coloured too much.

B) I need a tone that is a little more overdriven than situation A but at regular volume (ie quieter than the "digging in" volume of A)

I am looking for the simplest possible setup. I tried a bunch of overdrive pedals and ended up liking a mojomojo pedal by TC electronics which I used for rehearsals and on the first gig. It definitely works well for situation A if I turn the level up and mess with the treble/bass to approximate the clean tone of the guitar. Then I just play a little softer than normal until I get to the part where I dig in.

For situation B the mojomojo also gives just the right sound if I turn the gain up and the level down (compared to Situation A).

But obviously if the pedal is set for situation A it won't work for B - it will not overdrive enough and will be too loud.

What is the simplest solution? Should I just forget trying to use the mojomojo for both and look for a second pedal to handle one of the tone requirements? Or could I use some kind of boost pedal or volume pedal somehow?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
What amp do you have?
A tubescreamer type pedal could do it well if you have a tube amp.
[404]Signature not found
you need a clean boost. there are some overdrive pedals that feature this and of course stand alone pedals. they generally don't color your sound much if at all. I'd suggest a t-rex crunchy frog as it does both.
I don't have a tube amp.

Are you guys suggesting that Situation A could be achieved by making the amp break u pa little with a clean boost, and situation B could be achieved by using an overdrive pedal?

For situation A I only need it slightly louder than the clean tone so I'm not sure I would be able to get enough crunch when digging in if I wasn't pushing the amp that much more?

I know the problem could be solved by 2 mojomojo pedals at different settings, one for each situation, but doesn't that seem crazy?
What you are describing in A is why we use tube amps. That's what they do if you push them a little. There are some pedals that try to capture that "edge of breakup" thing but they don't really do it that well - that's a big reason that we use tube amps.
An overdrive or two and/or an EQ pedal in front of a nice tube amp is the way to achieve everything you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
okay thanks Cathbard. That is what I suspected. I am not playing at "rock volumes" per se so I would need either a tube amp with master volume, or a very low wattage tube amp, correct?

Then situation A would take care of itself and B would be accomplished with a pedal. It would however be way cheaper to just buy two identical pedals in the meantime though, eh?

FWIW I am using one of the DeArmond FHC Guitar Mic type pickups. And the amp I'm using provides ideal clean tone for what I need, though I have used Fender Deluxe Reverbs for festival shows with backline and they are great too. But a Deluxe is too loud to get to break-up volume for my needs without a speaker attenuator or something.
For the price of two good overdrive pedals you could probably pick up a Vox AC4 or something used.
You could use that for your breakup tone and keep your SS if you like the cleans.
[404]Signature not found
Yeah, pretty much. If you decide to go down that path, create a new "which amp?" thread according to this template:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Make sure you mention wanting "edge of breakup" sound at whatever volume you are talking about. Reference volume to the drummer situation, that's what really determines what your requirements will be.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification