I've been playing acoustic for a year now, time to get me some
electric guitar for mostly metal which could handle drop tunings aswell, fixed bridge.
Budget - €600, and I'm from europe.
Also the market for used guitars in my country is bad so used isn't an option.
Last edited by reinisko at Dec 1, 2013,
I suggest you check out thomann. It's pretty much the biggest vendor in europe. Where exactly do you live? Is there any bigger city close to you? Find out where the closest music shop is, visit it and check out some guitars.

Some manufacturers I can recommend for your genre: ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, Gibson, Jackson.

Do you prefer anything specific? Flying V / Les Paul / Superstrat?
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Is the budget all for guitar or do you need an amp too? Until then I say LTD is a good starting point.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_h_330fm_nt_stbsb.htm

*edit* Sorry, this one did not have EMG actives but lower grade ESP copies of it. Hold on a sec.

*edit2* This was the one I meant to link earlier.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_mh350_nt_dbsb.htm

Comes with EMG actives. Handles low tunings really well though some call them generic. But they are popular in metal for a reason. Requires batteries though, and remember to unplug the guitar when not in use so it doesnt drain them.

This one has also caught my eye.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/epiphone_1984_explorer_ebony.htm

No idea how good it is but judging from specs it seems like a good deal. Same pickups as above ESP/LTD. It is a shorter 24.75 scale though so it needs thicker strings when tuning down than above 25.5 scale one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 1, 2013,
I would say Fender Black top.... is not a typical metal guitar, but they are well build, cheap, the fack that are fenders means that they hold their prices AND the are good for metal
Quote by marianoarnaiz
I would say Fender Black top.... is not a typical metal guitar, but they are well build, cheap, the fack that are fenders means that they hold their prices AND the are good for metal

I'd rather go Jackson. Fenders own it and they look more metal than any normal Fender.
Actually the black top strat does look sweet but it has a trem. Or does it come in fixed bridge too?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Dragonfyre137
I suggest you check out thomann. It's pretty much the biggest vendor in europe. Where exactly do you live? Is there any bigger city close to you? Find out where the closest music shop is, visit it and check out some guitars.

Some manufacturers I can recommend for your genre: ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, Gibson, Jackson.

Do you prefer anything specific? Flying V / Les Paul / Superstrat?

Personally I have set my eyes on LTD's, the problem is that in my country they don't sell LTD's much, the most expensive LTD ive seen them sell is LTD EC200 so if I go for LTD's i'd have to order them online...
The one that caught my attention is ec401, but I also found that ec401vf version is
around 100euros cheaper, it has different pickups and top.

Where I'm from they sell Gibson, Schecter and Ibanez, no Jackson or LTD
Last edited by reinisko at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by reinisko
Personally I have set my eyes on LTD's, the problem is that in my country they don't sell LTD's much, the most expensive LTD ive seen them sell is LTD EC200 so if I go for LTD's i'd have to order them online...
The one that caught my attention is ec401, but I also found that ec401vf version is
around 100euros cheaper, it has different pickups and top.

Where I'm from they sell Gibsons, Schecters and Ibanez

VF has Seymour Duncan JBs and they are used in metal too. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth for example uses them, or atleast used to. So does Abbath from Immortal if my information is correct. 400 serie LTDs are very good and tend to be good deal on used market.

Gibsons can be good but they are really expensive as you may have noticed. But if they carry Gibsons they are very likely to carry Epiphones too, Gibsons mass produced in China label.
But if you can try the Schecters and Ibanez in your price range. They are all solid guitar brands.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
VF has Seymour Duncan JBs and they are used in metal too. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth for example uses them, or atleast used to. So does Abbath from Immortal if my information is correct. 400 serie LTDs are very good and tend to be good deal on used market.

Gibsons can be good but they are really expensive as you may have noticed. But if they carry Gibsons they are very likely to carry Epiphones too, Gibsons mass produced in China label.
But if you can try the Schecters and Ibanez in your price range. They are all solid guitar brands.

The problem is that in my country the used market isn't very good, and especially on ltds, so that if i go for one the only option is to order them online, also would you suggest VF version over the other one if it's ~€100 cheaper? I have to wonder why such price difference..

And yes, there are a lot of epi guitars too in my country, I was looking at Prophecy EX and Matt Heafy one..
Quote by reinisko
The problem is that in my country the used market isn't very good, and especially on ltds, so that if i go for one the only option is to order them online, also would you suggest VF version over the other one if it's ~€100 cheaper? I have to wonder why such price difference..

And yes, there are a lot of epi guitars too in my country, I was looking at Prophecy EX and Matt Heafy one..

There was also another difference. Scale is same but VF has 22 frets, Gibson style. Question is, do you intent to play blisteringly high leads a'la Children Of Bodom? Then the 2 fret difference may matter. For rhythm its usually irrelevant.

In thomann they are priced the same.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_ec400vf_tsb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_ec401_bk.htm

If you can get the latter 100€ cheaper I'd rather get it and put the 100 into your amp budget. Good amp matters more than pickups.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 1, 2013,
Check out Fernandes: the company's entire line is basically aimed at the hard rock genres, with generally higher-output pickups (including EMGs) and relatively slender necks. If you go to their website, at the top right corner is a "Store" button. Click it, and it will link you to their direct-sales site, on which they sell a limited number of their guitars at reduced prices.

(I own 2 Ravelles.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by MaaZeus
There was also another difference. Scale is same but VF has 22 frets, Gibson style. Question is, do you intent to play blisteringly high leads a'la Children Of Bodom? Then the 2 fret difference may matter. For rhythm its usually irrelevant.

In thomann they are priced the same.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_ec400vf_tsb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_ec401_bk.htm

If you can get the latter 100€ cheaper I'd rather get it and put the 100 into your amp budget. Good amp matters more than pickups.

Oh sorry, 50€ cheaper not 100€, also not gonna buy amp, just gonna get Line6 Pod 2.0 since I just need it to practice for now...
I'll stick with it:
Order any guitar you feel like buying at thomann. You can always send it back within 2 weeks if you don't like it.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.