Hello Guys,
I want to practice Major and Minor chords. As I'm beginner first I want to practice open position chords. So please don't share songs having barre chord and also capo. Right now I don't have a capo. If possible then post the chords related to a song here itself or give me the link. thanx in advance
Last edited by 22990atinesh at Apr 2, 2014,
My best advice for people wanting to learn chords is always.
Go to the home page and click 'Top 100 tabs' just under the search bar.
Then select 'chords' in the filter section (it's in light blue)
That will give you tonnes of mainstream songs and some old classics to play
It's mainly easy songs too

Hope this helps if you're struggling for ideas
Work on the verse and chorus from Hotel California. The progression is slightly more complex but has basically all those chords, with as much open position use as possible.
Quote by Iplaymusik
Work on the verse and chorus from Hotel California. The progression is slightly more complex but has basically all those chords, with as much open position use as possible.

Hotel California may be a bit complex for a beginner.

Try some adult contemporary, TS. A lot of the guitar parts in that are chord-based.
Quote by Iplaymusik
Why did you list those chords ?

Because these are the only chords, that I can play now. I'm having trouble playing barre chords.
What kind of bands do you listen to? Most songs only use a few chords like those so if you want, find your favorite songs and hit the transpose button and shift the song up/down until you get the chords to match the ones above.

As a tip, your chord list covers much of the keys of G and A. A lot of songs start off with the chord that is the main key (but not all!), so if you transpose the song until the first chord is a G or A, check the other chords and see if they're in your "known list". That might get you a lot more songs to play.

It's good to find songs that you enjoy playing. If you get frustrated you'll stop playing. But don't spend too much time avoiding barre chords - it keeps you from playing some good songs. When you get these chords down above, try to struggle with an occasional barre chord - you're fingers will toughen up and they'll sound better. For a while, they'll just hurt and sound bad, but that's OK
Quote by timbo63
What kind of bands do you listen to? Most songs only use a few chords like those so if you want, find your favorite songs and hit the transpose button and shift the song up/down until you get the chords to match the ones above.

As a tip, your chord list covers much of the keys of G and A. A lot of songs start off with the chord that is the main key (but not all!), so if you transpose the song until the first chord is a G or A, check the other chords and see if they're in your "known list". That might get you a lot more songs to play.

It's good to find songs that you enjoy playing. If you get frustrated you'll stop playing. But don't spend too much time avoiding barre chords - it keeps you from playing some good songs. When you get these chords down above, try to struggle with an occasional barre chord - you're fingers will toughen up and they'll sound better. For a while, they'll just hurt and sound bad, but that's OK

barre chords are really painful for me and I can't be able to stretch my 4 fingers on 4 frets. I can only play 3 frets with three finger at a time. When I try to stretch my 4th "pinky" on the 4th fret it seems impossible to me.
Oh yeah, the pinky blues... My thought - just keep playing and if that means avoiding some difficult chords and fingering, that's fine when you're starting out. But later on, you can get that pinky finger working for you. Later on, you'll probably want to start playing scales and that will help build up the strength (do the boring stuff like scales while watching TV or doing something interesting). After you later add string bends with your pinky, you'll forget that it used to be a problem!

*But*, I would recommend that you don't cheat and use your ring finger when you should be using your pinky. Don't shift your hand back-and-forth so that you never use your pinky. That would form a bad habit that you need to undo later. So it's better to let your pinky do a little work for your chords and single notes and doing things correctly. When you get some experience with the chords you have above, you'll eventually want to start adding in the harder skills. But avoid cheating along the way. Your fingers will stretch out just fine.
Quote by timbo63
Oh yeah, the pinky blues... My thought - just keep playing and if that means avoiding some difficult chords and fingering, that's fine when you're starting out. But later on, you can get that pinky finger working for you. Later on, you'll probably want to start playing scales and that will help build up the strength (do the boring stuff like scales while watching TV or doing something interesting). After you later add string bends with your pinky, you'll forget that it used to be a problem!

*But*, I would recommend that you don't cheat and use your ring finger when you should be using your pinky. Don't shift your hand back-and-forth so that you never use your pinky. That would form a bad habit that you need to undo later. So it's better to let your pinky do a little work for your chords and single notes and doing things correctly. When you get some experience with the chords you have above, you'll eventually want to start adding in the harder skills. But avoid cheating along the way. Your fingers will stretch out just fine.

@timbo64
ya you are right my music teacher told me the same thing. He said If you cheat and keep avoiding stretching your pinky then It'll become your habit. So better to start stretching it slowly slowly without hurting the muscles.
Off the top of my head Bad Moon Rising by CCR and Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd (although it has some picking patterns that might be difficult if you're just starting out). Good Riddance by Green day also uses the basic chord shapes if you can get the picking down, but the song still doesn't sound half bad if you just strum them.

If you have a capo Free Falling by Tom Petty is an easy fun one as well.

What type of music do you like?
"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk