Hi!

I've got a Stratocaster where you load the strings from the back, like on most Teles.
But on my bridge there are these screw like things, the ones you can see on the picture.
(The bridge on the picture is not mine). These things are really tall on mine, and really makes it alot harder to palm mute.

What are these? Can I file them down? Is it just some poor chinese quality?

Thanks in advance!
they let you raise or lower the heights of the saddles to set your action and/or allow for the fretboard's radius
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You don't want to be filing them down. This is the reason I don't like strats. You need a dose of "man up" to conquer your hatred for the bridge when palm muting.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by juliusxxrock
Well that's stupid
When I play other strats, their saddle "screws" are alot lower

Do they also have a lot higher action? The only real fix that doesn't involve near-destroying the saddle screws is to take the neck off, put a shim in and then raise the saddles until they aren't in the way. It's too much work for what it's worth though.

It may be worth going round the screws with some glasspaper or sandpaper to smoothen things, but filing will only make them sharper.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Do they also have a lot higher action? The only real fix that doesn't involve near-destroying the saddle screws is to take the neck off, put a shim in and then raise the saddles until they aren't in the way. It's too much work for what it's worth though.

It may be worth going round the screws with some glasspaper or sandpaper to smoothen things, but filing will only make them sharper.

I would say their height is a bigger problem. What kind of problems would it cause if I would file them down and then sandpaper to smoothen?
You could just get a set of Tele style saddles with shorter screws, I have no problem with plan muting on my Tele or DKA7 with those style of saddles.

Also, I had this problem on a guitar before, I just bought shorter screws, but you will need a different style of saddle so it says secure without sticking out of the top
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Last edited by Minimallamb at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by juliusxxrock
I would say their height is a bigger problem. What kind of problems would it cause if I would file them down and then sandpaper to smoothen?

In the event of needing to swap saddles out, you may find that you can't get them out of the saddle screws. It's not a huge issue, but it's quite an inconvenience. This is if you file them. If you just sandpaper them down, the roughness will go away and you won't be complaining anymore. It's not the height that's the issue, it's the roughness. Once the rough feel goes away, you won't notice them and you'll be able to adjust your technique to feel comfortable.
Quote by juliusxxrock
Is it just some poor chinese quality?

the real ones from the 50's and 60's are just as bad.

goto wants you to be happy.

either man up and buy a new bridge or shut up and make a callous. you're pick.
Quote by juliusxxrock
They are sharp and as I said, annoying when palm muting.

yeah i know, I just chickened out of answering that bit as I wasn't sure I'd be wary of filing the thing, as the others have said, you could do more harm than good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?