Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't really sure where to put it

Since I started playing, I've been mostly a metal rhythm player. I run a 6505 into a recto 4x12 and im playing an ibanez rg550 with an emg 81. This works PERFECTLY for what i've been doing. But in the past few months i've been listening to more post-hardcore, punk etc and I want to start playing those styles as well.

Problem is my rig is geared for one thing mainly, brutal metal. I can't part with the 6505, i like it way too much.

what i'm asking for you guys to help me with is recommending guitars and pickups that would help me get close to a tone like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXymqDN6qPg
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12
Last edited by BoneAndDream at Dec 1, 2013,
Any amp with a good clean tone- Fender, Vox, Peavey, Carvin- plus a touch of echo or chorus and a decent distortion pedal will get you that kind of tone.

The guitar doesn't matter as much- fiddling with your tone knobs & amp's EQ will get you the rest of the way. Still, I'd aim for something with the capacity for some single-coil type output, either with singles, P90s or splittable HBs. MiniHBs would be a decent option, too.

This will surprise nobody, but I'll recommend you look at Reverend guitars...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Any amp with a good clean tone- Fender, Vox, Peavey, Carvin- plus a touch of echo or chorus and a decent distortion pedal will get you that kind of tone.

The guitar doesn't matter as much- fiddling with your tone knobs & amp's EQ will get you the rest of the way. Still, I'd aim for something with the capacity for some single-coil type output, either with singles, P90s or splittable HBs. MiniHBs would be a decent option, too.

This will surprise nobody, but I'll recommend you look at Reverend guitars...

i was actually toying with the idea of some kind of tele with HBs and splits yesterday haha

edit: and this is the type of distortion i'll be after
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEFkTfGy7CQ
PEAVEY 6505
Last edited by BoneAndDream at Dec 1, 2013,
Some people get real hung up on having a particular guitar rig to play a particular genre. Any good quality amp capable of a clean tone and just about any good guitar will work just fine. Some time ago I decided I wanted to learn to play jazz, so I went out and bought myself a jazz guitar (Washburn J-7). I learned I can play jazz just as well (or just as poorly) on a strat, tele, les paul.... you name it. I play in our church band, and on any given week we will cover everything from rock, to ballads, to gospel, to traditional hymns. I find I can cover all that ground just fine with any guitar I own. I take an electric and an acoustic, and half the time never pick up the acoustic. Focus more on the music than the gear. (I guess I should practice what I preach....)
Quote by stormin1155
Some people get real hung up on having a particular guitar rig to play a particular genre. Any good quality amp capable of a clean tone and just about any good guitar will work just fine. Focus more on the music than the gear.

Yes.

Double Yes.
It's not your guitar or pickups, it's that the 6505 has a horrid clean channel.
Quote by Blackfire.
It's not your guitar or pickups, it's that the 6505 has a horrid clean channel.

This. An EMG 81 isn't ideal, granted, but it'll get you there without too much issue. The amp is the big problem.

You can get a used Peavey JSX to compliment your 6505 for about $450, give or take $50. Used. The JSX has a really great clean channel.

PS: I've owned a 6505 and a JSX.

EDIT: The JSX will also do quite fine for the gain you're after as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 1, 2013,
Look online used. Fender Bandmaster heads go used for under $500 all the time. That, plus a dirtbox, will get you a great post-hardcore tone.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Offworld92
This. An EMG 81 isn't ideal, granted, but it'll get you there without too much issue. The amp is the big problem.

You can get a used Peavey JSX to compliment your 6505 for about $450, give or take $50. Used. The JSX has a really great clean channel.

PS: I've owned a 6505 and a JSX.

EDIT: The JSX will also do quite fine for the gain you're after as well.

yeah i love my emg, for cleans sometimes it gets too sharp and ice picky but the volume&tone help a lot

dude i looked at your sig what happened to your 6505?
PEAVEY 6505
Sold it. Not a good amp. Won't get into that on my phone though. Sounds amazing at what it does though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Sold it. Not a good amp. Won't get into that on my phone though. Sounds amazing at what it does though.

Any ideas on what will replace it? Actually considering a replacement for my 5150 212 and then selling the combo. Like you said, REALLY good at what it's meant for, but lacks so much in all other areas.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yep. Well stuff has changed with my playing situation, which calls for changes in gear. In my main band (modern death/prog) I moved to bass, so I don't need my metal guitar setup right now - I'm in another new band that's like ambient/indie. For that I'm getting a Marshall Vintage Modern. Then later down the line I'm getting a Randall RM100 for the metal, and as a catch all/backup. But as long as I'm not actually playing with the band as a guitarist, my Vypyrs are much more than adequate for writing (I got a Tube 120H and one of the new VIP 3s).

Sorry for hijack

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Another route to explore would be to play around with some different tubes in your 6505, and also get another guitar with some lower-output passive pickups. (I'd really like to try a vintage single-coil through my 6505, actually).

Right now, I've got a JJ 5751 (slightly lower gain than a 12AX7, plus CLEARER and sweeter in tone) and a JJ 12AT7 in the PI position. This REALLY, really improved the cleans, and in no way reduced the brutality when I hit the lead channel. I could still throw in another lower-gain tube and probably still be happy with my brootz channel. This would only cost you about $25-30 to try.

The other 'problem' is that active pups just don't sound good through the clean channel on that amp. They are sterile and ice-picky unless you reduce the guitar volume a bit and really watch your playing dynamics. Just about any passive pickup in the neck position will sound richer and warmer. I've actually gotten very good cleans out of my 6505 with this approach; though now I'm down to one guitar with SD Blackouts so I just have to deal with the cleans as best I can.

But, if another amp is even possible, I second the JSX recommendation.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I dig Defeater, they do some interesting things in the genre.

Danny was right on with Reverend guitars. One of the guitarists from Defeater plays a Charger HB I believe (I think he transitioned from his Tele Deluxe RI to the Reverend in the last couple years). I play around in this genre quite a bit and find that my Traynor YCV50 hangs pretty well with this type of music. I've got a Vox and an Orange for other styles, but the Traynor hangs perfectly with the "bright" boost on and a decent overdrive pedal (the dirty channel on the Traynor is nice as well if you don't want to bother with another pedal).

The Traynors can be had for pretty cheap on the used market, though Reverends don't seem to pop up as often on the used market (at least where I'm at). You'd probably like the Reverend Double Agent, Kingbolt, Charger, or Jetstream if you dig bolt-on's, and probably a Warhawk if you prefer set-neck styles.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Dec 2, 2013,
Quote by SteveHOC
I dig Defeater, they do some interesting things in the genre.

Danny was right on with Reverend guitars. One of the guitarists from Defeater plays a Charger HB I believe (I think he transitioned from his Tele Deluxe RI to the Reverend in the last couple years). I play around in this genre quite a bit and find that my Traynor YCV50 hangs pretty well with this type of music. I've got a Vox and an Orange for other styles, but the Traynor hangs perfectly with the "bright" boost on and a decent overdrive pedal (the dirty channel on the Traynor is nice as well if you don't want to bother with another pedal).

The Traynors can be had for pretty cheap on the used market, though Reverends don't seem to pop up as often on the used market (at least where I'm at). You'd probably like the Reverend Double Agent, Kingbolt, Charger, or Jetstream if you dig bolt-on's, and probably a Warhawk if you prefer set-neck styles.

Heh- I didn't know that! Never heard of Defeater.

After listening to those vids a couple of times, it sounds like they have a bit of a hotter tone going when they use distortion. In that case, while Reverend's normal HBs would be up to the task- as might the neck P90 in the Double Agent- I'd also look at the models equipped with the new higher-output Chisel or Anvil pickups from Railhammer. That would be the Reeves Gabrells II, and certain Kingbolts, Bayonets, and (I think) one of the Senseis.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 2, 2013,