So basically, I bought an amp a couple of weeks ago and every time I use it at band practice it starts making a funny smell, kinda like solder, after around half an hour/an hour. Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be/how to fix it?
Is it a tube amp? Tube amps heat up after a while when on, if it's anything like a burning smell something could be heating up too much inside the amp.
I'd take it to a tech. If you know the smell of solder then you likely know that when solder is burning it's running and therefore a connection may break and will cut off.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Is it Bugera?

Sorry, had to ask.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
There are a few Carlsbro amps that have a 30 in their name, some are tube some are solid state. What model do you have?

It sounds to me like you're running it too loud if it's one of the solid state models. Pushing a 30 watt solid state amp to volumes that can overpower a drummer can be bad for the amplifier.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I would tell you but I don't have it with me right now, I've been told its a solid amp and I need to have it at the volume where it makes the smell to be heard over the drummer :/
That's the problem though. Some (not all) solid state amps that are 30 watts and under just shouldn't be played loud for long periods of time as they are intended to be practice amps. They're the amps you play at home in your bedroom for quiet practice at a cheap price.

Obviously this isn't a rule and not all low wattage solid states will be like this. Maybe your amp is fine with this smell and you can put up with it until you're able to afford an amp that is designed to be played with a drummer.
Well i'll keep using it and if the smell gets worse then i guess i'll get a new amp. Could you recommend any decent low cost amps?
Depends on what your budget is and where you are in the world.

If you make a new thread stating the answers to the questions in this thread, then people can help you.
It’s normal for a tube amp to have a smell when it heats up. Usually it’s some component of the cabinet (glue, paint, tolex) getting warm and emitting an odor. It goes away after a while.