Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a new amp, mostly for home playing and maybe a few rehearsals or small gigs some time later. I'm probably gonna buy the Laney Cub12, because it's the only amp I've found that has all the features I need: nice clean sounds, both 15 watts and <1 watt outputs, pedal friendly, cheap... But it only has one channel, so I need to find a distortion pedal to go along with it.

I currently have a Blackstar HT5C which I'm not satisfied with anymore because the clean channel sucks. I love the distortion channel however (with the ISF set to the British side), and I'm looking for a pedal with a similar sound. I would also like a twin channel pedal, with an overdrive side and a distortion side.
I've tried the Blackstar HT-Dual on the Cub12. It wasn't bad but I wasn't impressed. I think I'll try it out again next time. I've also tried the TC Electronic Nova Drive and the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde on the Cub12. I really liked the distortion side on both pedals. But they both have something wrong.

I couldn't find a satisfying sound on the OD side of the Nova Drive because of the tone knob. On the left, it sucked out the sound of the amp too much and there wasn't enough bass. On the right, the trebles were too harsh and brittle. After I tried it, the seller told me that this knob had to be used in conjunction with the mix knob to get good results. So I wanted to know if users of this pedal around here had the same problem than me at first, and how do you use the tone knob in conjunction with the mix knob?

I tried the Jekyll & Hyde yesterday, and I was able to dial in a nice sound quickly, on both channels. When I tried to stack them, I didn't like the sound, though. I guess you have to take some time to fiddle with the EQ on both sides of the pedal. I don't think I will turn both channels on at the same time often, anyway. So I wanted to know if you can easily stomp on the two buttons at the same time, to turn off a channel and turn on the other at the same time.

I prefer the Jekyll & Hyde right now, but maybe I'm missing out on something with the Nova Drive, which seems to have a lot of different sounds.
Are you set on those pedals, or do you accept other recommendations? You could also tell your budget and where you live/are buying the pedal from
What's your overall budget for both the amp and pedal? there may be an amp available at the same price which will do the tones you want without a pedal. Or a cheaper od pedal may well do what you want just the same and allow you to spend more on the amp.

Don't get me wrong- if you like the laney cub, get the laney cub (I haven't tried it but I think it has a pretty good rep). Just I'm not sure that then buying a really expensive od/distortion pedal is the best plan. Of course, if that's the only thing that sounds the way you want, then go for it, but just it pays to keep those other things in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I live in Lyon, France. My budget is 600€ for the amp and the pedal, or a two channel amp with all the features I need (pedal friendly, good sound at low volume and/or for playing at home, even though I might have to use it for rehearsals and small gigs later).
thanks

what type of tone(s) are you after? is the clean or overdrive channel more important? do you need/want power tube distortion or is preamp distortion (or pedal distortion) ok?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks

what type of tone(s) are you after? is the clean or overdrive channel more important? do you need/want power tube distortion or is preamp distortion (or pedal distortion) ok?

Both channels are important! I need beautiful cleans above all else. If I don't like the distortion channel, I'll need a pedal to make up for it.
I don't understand what you mean by power tube or preamp distortion, actually.
ah, no worries

power tube distortion is the type of distortion you get when you crank a tube amp. generally for older rock tones, classic rock and the like.

preamp tube distortion is the type of distortion you get when you have a tube amp with a master volume and gain control, and set it up for distortion at low volumes. generally for more modern, higher gain/heavier tones.

that's a slight oversimplification, but as a rough rule of thumb, it's ok I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK, so I think I need preamp tube distortion. I need quite a lot of gain, and something in the spirit of a JCM 800 or 900 tonewise. The best guitar tone I've ever heard on a record is on Silverchair's first album, Frogstomp.
i'm not really familiar with silverchair, but if you need a lot of preamp gain you could do a lot worse than a jet city from thomann. the high gain combos (the 50 watt 1x12 and the 20 watt 2 channel 1x12) are around 300-350 euros. they have head options too if you'd prefer that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what's your definition of "home use"? how loud is that?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You say you like the distortion channel of your blackstar. The clean channel might suck at least partially because a lack of headroom. I think it could be worth looking into the bigger brothers.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay