Hi

I learnt Sweet Home Chicago the other day after seeing a video on youtube of Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton and Jimmie Vaughan playing it

I have a question about the intro lick

e------/10-10-10-10---9----------------/10-10-10-10---9------7-
b------/12-12-12-12---10--------------/12-12-12-12---10-----8-
g--------------------------------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This notation isn't perfect, but you get the jist

Anyway, I wanted to know the what the relationship is in these double stops and what other note combinations work this way.

Thanks!
What you have here is a few dyads (two note 'chords', in this case basically being triads with just the root and third, missing the fifth), which are Bmin, A, and G. Without knowing what might be going on underneath the lick, I would presume it to be in the key of Bmin, since that is the first 'chord' and the other 'chords' fit in that key.

I'm not sure if any of that answers your question, but that's about as deep of an analysis as you can get here.
Sweet Home Chicago is a standard I IV V blues in E. Those "dyads" are riffs on an E7 chord

The B and D notes are the 5th and 7th of the E7, but you don't have to analyze every single melody note as a functional part of a chord. That riff there is happening over the basic E A B structure as a melodic intro, even though the notes might note line up with the basic spelling of those chords.
Last edited by cdgraves at Dec 1, 2013,
To me it definitely sounds like it's in E (without even listening to the song). It's a basic bluesy lick over E7 chord. Many times keyboards play this kind of stuff (for example listen to "I'm a Believer" by The Monkees - in the chorus keyboards play similar kind of lick).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115