Hi everyone,

I'm thinking on putting new pickups to my electric guitar, an ESP LTD MV-200, with the following specs:

Mahogany body with flamed maple top
Maple neck
Rosewood fretboard
24'75 scale, 24 frets
Fixed bridge
Humbucker/Single routing (the single is slanted)
Duncan designed hb-102b (bridge, similar to a JB)
Duncan designed hr-101n (neck, similar to hot rails)

I want to replace the current pickups for certain reasons: the bridge one is just too honky, too much mids, gets muddy with just overdrive, and very loose low-end (almost inexistent), I totally dislike it when I play through the amp (a blackheart 5w, british sound, all-valve) and more even when I play through the Pocket POD, as for the neck, it may be the wiring, but it just sounds dull, lifeless, so please don't recommend me either the SD JB or the Hot rails. I just can't stand the JB (I heard the original on another guitar and I just don't like it).

The kind of music I play is Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Judas priest), Power Metal (Axel Rudi Pell), Progressive (Dream Theater, Symphony X), and don't really want to use the pickups for blues, jazz, or wathever, if at least the neck has decent cleans, it's enough.

I'm looking for a tight-sounding pickup, with not too much mids or highs and tight lows that doesn't get muddy with overdrive (which is what happens with the actual pickups), but i don't really want something very high-output. Also, I usually play a half or a whole step down, don't know if that's really important.

I was planing to put a Dimarzio Crunchlab in the bridge (I think it matches what I demand on the previous paragraph), but i've heard it's not very good in mahogany, and I don't know how it behaves on a short scale guitar, so if you can tell me how it does, it'll be appreciated.

Also, i need a neck single/rails-style pickup that matches the crunchlab. And I'm open to other pickup suggestions, both neck and bridge, as long as they are passive (I don't really want active pickups).

I have a budget of €150 for both pickups, and I don't really care if they are Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, or wathever, but I can't go beyond the budget.

Thanks and I hope you can help me.
Last edited by Bonfire_911 at Dec 1, 2013,
I was actually going to recommend the Crunch Lab due to your description. That or the Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6. Very tight sounding pickup. For the neck pickup you could look into DiMarzio's dual blade offerings, Air Norton S and Fast Track 1 or 2 look like good options for you.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
I was actually going to recommend the Crunch Lab due to your description. That or the Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6. Very tight sounding pickup. For the neck pickup you could look into DiMarzio's dual blade offerings, Air Norton S and Fast Track 1 or 2 look like good options for you.

Thanks for the response, I don't really know a lot about pickups, but I thought that the Crunchlab would suit my needs.

About the Duncan distortion, isn't it a harsh-sounding pickup? I'm asking that because that's my main concern with the Duncan designed I have right now.
What's your amp?

Regardless: Custom 5. It's a little warmer than the JB, bit less midrange too. Not sure on the low end detail. I'm not too good at matching strat humbuckers with full humbuckers one would usually use with mahogany guitars though. I'd guess from Duncan I'd take a lil' screamin' deamon or lil' 59.

Quote by Bonfire_911
Thanks for the response, I don't really know a lot about pickups, but I thought that the Crunchlab would suit my needs.

About the Duncan distortion, isn't it a harsh-sounding pickup? I'm asking that because that's my main concern with the Duncan designed I have right now.

If you don't want highs I'd nix the Distortion. It's pretty trebly. in the same vein of the jb anyway.

As far as the crunch lab goes, it's a warm pickup one would use in basswood. I don't know if it's too warm for mahogany, meaning you'd really have to crank the treble to get it to cut through if it is.

As far as matching up with the crunch lab, I'd get something that's like the Liquifire which is designed to complement the Crunch lab. These include the Air Norton S, Pro Track, and Hot Rails (the real one). The Hot rail will match up with the crunch lab better than with the JB, which is why I added it.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Dec 1, 2013,
I wouldn't know as I haven't personally owned a Distortion pickup. Videos like these are great though for comparing pickups. The Distortion and the JB are both featured in this.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
What's your amp?

It's a Blackheart Little Giant 5w, all tube (I think I put valves intead of tubes, my bad), already said it in my first post

Quote by Maidenheadsteve

Regardless: Custom 5. It's a little warmer than the JB, bit less midrange too. Not sure on the low end detail. I'm not too good at matching strat humbuckers with full humbuckers one would usually use with mahogany guitars though. I'd guess from Duncan I'd take a lil' screamin' deamon or lil' 59.

I'll have a look a that, thanks.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve

If don't want highs I'd nix the Distortion. It's pretty trebly. in the same vein of the jb anyway.

This is exactly was i was afraid of. It's not that I don't want highs, but I don't want them to be piercing, I'm looking for a warmer sound.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve

As far as matching up with the crunch lab, I'd get something that's like the Liquifire which is designed to complement the Crunch lab. These include the Air Norton S, Pro Track, and Hot Rails (the real one). The Hot rail will match up with the crunch lab better than with the JB, which is why I added it.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.
OK, thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm finally going to put the Crunch Lab in the bridge and the Air Norton S in the neck.

The custom 5 sounded really good, but the Crunch Lab is definitely what I'm looking for. That tight low end and sweet highs without being harsh are just the opposite to what the Duncan Designed gives.
Last edited by Bonfire_911 at Dec 5, 2013,