Page 1 of 2
So, I've been on Vodafone Mexefest (a music festival in Portugal where bands play in different venues and you have to move from venue to venue according to what you watch).

There was this band there called Bombay Show Pig that gave an amazing performance. Fearing they were fairly unknown and we'd probably wouldn't have much of a chance to get some songs that were great live, and since they only have one album and it was recently released, my girlfriend and I decided to buy it and got it signed by the band (a guy and a girl) who were really nice and shit.

So, by the end of the day, on our way home, we decided to play the album while we were on our way home and... it was horrible. It didn't even sound like the same band. Live, they sounded like heavy garage rock and on cd they sound like... well this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwsUWQy0yKc

So, did something like this ever happened to you pit ?
The Who cheated me by getting old.

They were still awesome though even 67 and almost deaf
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
That could of been a producer that made them play differently. Happens a lot, most famous one off my head is Frusciante on Mother's Milk.
...That's horrible? I honestly thought it was pretty decent

There's nothing overly special about it but it's not bad
I met Robin from Fleet Foxes after obsessing over him for a couple of years and he told me to add him on Facebook, and right before that the guys in the band asked if I had any weed after I rolled them cigarettes. It was all very disenchanting.

They're still really good though, especially live.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Rockford_rocks
...That's horrible? I honestly thought it was pretty decent

There's nothing overly special about it but it's not bad

It's not like it's horrible, but it has an overall meh-ness to it.

It's just extremely disappointed when you expect something like what you heard live and then, on album it doesn't even sound like the same band.

Quote by Malchius
That could of been a producer that made them play differently. Happens a lot, most famous one off my head is Frusciante on Mother's Milk.

That was exactly my first thoughts. I'm not sure if it's self produced, but, at least, the guy on the band is one of the producers.

I'm not blaming the band here. I'm just talking about that disappointment of seeing a band live and on cd they sound completely different.
This is a lesson you can learn by seeing pop-punk live. Everybody sounds heavier live.
Yeah Animals by Pink Floyd. I was so sad when I first bought and listened to it. It was completely subpar compared to all their other albums (with all the members)\\\\

Quote by Malchius

and what did frusciante do on mothers milk that wasnt amazing?
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Yeah Animals by Pink Floyd. I was so sad when I first bought and listened to it. It was completely subpar compared to all their other albums (with all the members)

Bitch I will fight you

Dogs alone makes that album one of their best
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Bitch I will fight you

Saucerful of Secrets, the wall, dark side, piper, atom heart mother, ummagumma, wish you were here, meddle, then animals. It was so monotonous. It was one sound all album long. The tones never changed. It only had a couple of themes. IDK big disappointment to me.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Bitch I will fight you

+1 Animals is the best Pink Floyd album, though I prefer Pigs.
I don't like, nor voluntarily visit any concerts, including my own. If you want to enjoy "listening" to music- visiting bands is not the best way of doing so.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Saucerful of Secrets, the wall, dark side, piper, atom heart mother, ummagumma, wish you were here, meddle, then animals. It was so monotonous. It was one sound all album long. The tones never changed. It only had a couple of themes. IDK big disappointment to me.

That's fine, it's okay to be wrong
Quote by Aralingh
I don't like, nor voluntarily visit any concerts, including my own. If you want to enjoy "listening" to music- visiting bands is not the best way of doing so.

Are you for real? That's actually what makes you realize how good or bad is a band.
(unless the show goes through some sort of technical dificulty or bad sound management)
Quote by Aralingh

Depends on the band. Some people like to perfect performance. Some people like to perfect recording. Some do both. I've certainly been to live shows that sounded much better than the recorded material, even when the recorded material was very good, not to mention you have the mass group eargasm that you and the rest of the crowd get to experience together.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by seventh_angel
Are you for real? That's actually what makes you realize how good or bad is a band.

Well, that's the thing. I like listening and analyzing, a concert is not a good place to do that due to the tedious amount of noise bombarding your attention, if anything, watching a recording is a much better medium at determining quality of play, since you remove the "experience" from your evaluation.

Furthermore, the performance doesn't really matter to me. I listen to very few bands, and whether or not they can play live or not does not bother me since I listen to their recordings for how their recordings sound, not whether or not they can actually play them.

Quote by vintage x metal
Depends on the band. Some people like to perfect performance. Some people like to perfect recording. Some do both. I've certainly been to live shows that sounded much better than the recorded material, even when the recorded material was very good, not to mention you have the mass group eargasm that you and the rest of the crowd get to experience together.

I've never found that alluring.
Quote by Aralingh
I've never found that alluring.

That's nice. You probably don't find 'fun' very alluring either.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Aralingh

Post.

You sound like a riot to be around.
Last edited by Malchius at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by vintage x metal

Fun is for the weak.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
That's fine, it's okay to be wrong

Animals sounds like one long song that could have been condensed into one 15 minute song at the end of dark side of the moon or something. Thats like turning echoes into a single album. It was too monotonous for me. I think saucerful is super original, the wall and dark side are unmatched, ummagumma is acid in music form, wish you were here has decent lyrical themes, piper is crazy like saucerful, but animals is just one long boring idea.

But on a side note, anyone else think pigs on the wing is the same as goodbye to everything by between the buried and me? also, anyone else think wake up by suicide silence is the same as extremophile elite off the same album by btbam?
Quote by Nietsche
Fun is for the weak.

Sorry "Nietzsche" but you should reread Thus Spoke and the Gay Science and the Birth of Tragedy and then reconsider your response. Resentment is for the weak, and people who hate fun are filled with resentment.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

What you consider fun- I assume not.
You can only really be cheated by a band if you have a sense of entitlement, so a band releasing an album you don't like isn't them cheating you.

If you pay money for a live show and they all turn up so drunk they can't play, that would be cheating you.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But on a side note, anyone else think pigs on the wing is the same as goodbye to everything by between the buried and me? also, anyone else think wake up by suicide silence is the same as extremophile elite off the same album by btbam?

Pigs on the Wing sounds nothing like Goodbye to Everything, apart from them being fairly simple acoustic songs.

I am listening to Wake Up now and this sounds nothing like Extremophile Elite, for starters Wake Up seems to be entirely in 4/4.
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by Aralingh
What you consider fun- I assume not.

Tell me dear, what do you find fun? Something exclusively where you get to win? Or perhaps give a critique to reaffirm your being?

Those things can be fun, but jerking off can also be just as fun. I have fun reading postmodernist scholarly texts in my free time but I wouldn't give it any more value than jerking off.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Random3
You can only really be cheated by a band if you have a sense of entitlement, so a band releasing an album you don't like isn't them cheating you.

If you pay money for a live show and they all turn up so drunk they can't play, that would be cheating you.

Pigs on the Wing sounds nothing like Goodbye to Everything, apart from them being fairly simple acoustic songs.

I am listening to Wake Up now and this sounds nothing like Extremophile Elite, for starters Wake Up seems to be entirely in 4/4.

the wake up wake up part at 2 minutes into btbams song is the same as suicides song. i totally think pigs influenced the beginning to parallax 2.
Hearing 'Mama said' for the first time. Now I don't mind that song or the direction that band took for the next few albums.
The Human Abstract. I paid for backstage access for three people (I wouldn't normally do something like that, but it was like 20$ more than regular tickets, and came with t-shirts and autographed posters). The show was cancelled. I feel that I was owed a partial (since I did get the posters and shirts) refund, but the runners of the site said that they couldn't refund me because my access to the show (basically, our names on a guestlist) had no monetary value, a claim to which I would respond, 'well then how the hell did you charge me for it?' In the end, they only offered to send me a free shirt with the company's name on it, thinking that turning me into a billboard would somehow solve the problem. Anyway, I feel that the band or their management should have dealt with this problem, and they did nothing. Screw those guys.
Quote by vintage x metal
Tell me dear, what do you find fun? Something exclusively where you get to win? Or perhaps give a critique to reaffirm your being?

Those things can be fun, but jerking off can also be just as fun. I have fun reading postmodernist scholarly texts in my free time but I wouldn't give it any more value than jerking off.

Well, since you mention masturbation, then we can differentiate between physically-driven entertainment, and mental one. Most activities, though, involve both of those.

However, regardless of whether it is fun or not for you, I don't consider masturbation a fun activity, rather a method of physical satisfaction, unlike other physical entertainment you choose to participate in- such as sport.

Now, myself, I enjoy listening to music, discovering new music, furthering my education, a very small variety of games- chess, a few strategy ones and even less action-oriented. I also enjoy analyzing subjects and dissecting them beyond proximate recognition of relevance, being exposed to new ideas, and at certain times- documenting my own.

With physical entertainment, I run every time I have to get somewhere, but I don't really run for the sake of it- you can wear less clothes while running since your body will produce more heat to keep the temperature and you'll also get to your destination faster- so that might not be that enjoyable on its' own, but I do cycle in the summer, if I have nothing else to do. I also practice and play a few instruments, though that's not strictly physical.
Quote by vintage x metal
Sorry "Nietzsche" but you should reread Thus Spoke and the Gay Science and the Birth of Tragedy and then reconsider your response. Resentment is for the weak, and people who hate fun are filled with resentment.

I am actually Nietsche, without the Z, new and improved.

Also I have aspergers, which means being in a crowd with lots of visual and aural stimulation makes me very upset, so implying that 'fun' involves being in that atmosphere makes you an ableist. Check your privilege scumbag
Quote by Aralingh
Well, since you mention masturbation, then we can differentiate between physically-driven entertainment, and mental one. Most activities, though, involve both of those.

However, regardless of whether it is fun or not for you, I don't consider masturbation a fun activity, rather a method of physical satisfaction, unlike other physical entertainment you choose to participate in- such as sport.

Now, myself, I enjoy listening to music, discovering new music, furthering my education, a very small variety of games- chess, a few strategy ones and even less action-oriented. I also enjoy analyzing subjects and dissecting them beyond proximate recognition of relevance, being exposed to new ideas, and at certain times- documenting my own.

With physical entertainment, I run every time I have to get somewhere, but I don't really run for the sake of it- you can wear less clothes while running since your body will produce more heat to keep the temperature and you'll also get to your destination faster- so that might not be that enjoyable on its' own, but I do cycle in the summer, if I have nothing else to do. I also practice and play a few instruments, though that's not strictly physical.

You must be great at parties.
There's enough music that is performed live because of the details, because a digital medium will lose mein translation from an actual live instrument.

Natural acoustics and resonances for one.

Not only that, but a live interaction of complex aware and unaware inflections translated directly onto the music.

Maybe not that often at metal or rock concert, but that's just how it is.

Go to a small bar with a playing jazz trio, or a string quartet at your local concert venue. Not only wil you be able to analyze music, you will be pulled in by it.

Something about the dynamics of live sound that is definitely recognised by many.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by vintage x metal

overly harsh response. +1
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Nietsche
I am actually Nietsche, without the Z, new and improved.

Also I have aspergers, which means being in a crowd with lots of visual and aural stimulation makes me very upset, so implying that 'fun' involves being in that atmosphere makes you an ableist. Check your privilege scumbag

How long did it take you to think that one up? Because it's not valid. You took a premise from a previous conversation with points prior to your entrance to the conversation to make a point about your own personal situation, with had nothing to do with the original statement.

You statement 'fun is for the weak' is what I replied to, which doesn't have any indicators for what could be considered fun, but simply that all 'fun' is for the weak. Your personal disposition as a person with Aspergers and how it could limit what you find 'fun' doesn't apply when you are talking about ANY type of fun. That was your statement, not mine - my preference for fun will obviously be different due to many factors, but you've presented me with an ad hominem argument as a response, not to mention an irrelevant ad hominem argument.

It's funny that you think I may be privileged in some way in comparison to you. In a world made for rich white men, I am a first-generation immigrant brown female rape victim who lives below poverty level. Take your Aspergers and run.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You must be great at parties.

Well, I was actually at a few of those. I don't like dancing "by itself", but I am actually very energetic so I dance much more actively than an average club-person would, and when I got tired I would just sit down and observe the environment.

I don't really hate parties, I just don't participate in them, I like to observe and evaluate as if I was not there, and if I'm invited I will go- but they will most likely know what I will actually offer.

Why I would go, is because, while I may not be interested in most people on an individual personal level, observing how humans interact in a social environment that is described as acceptable on a cultural level is quite interesting to me.
Quote by Aralingh
Well, I was actually at a few of those. I don't like dancing "by itself", but I am actually very energetic so I dance much more actively than an average club-person would, and when I got tired I would just sit down and observe the environment.

I don't really hate parties, I just don't participate in them, I like to observe and evaluate as if I was not there, and if I'm invited I will go- but they will most likely know what I will actually offer.

Why I would go, is because, while I may not be interested in most people on an individual personal level, observing how humans interact in a social environment that is described as acceptable on a cultural level is quite interesting to me.

You sound normal, at least to me. I dont like being at parties because I dont have fun socializing about random nonsense, talking shit, taking shits, drinking without chilling in a relaxing environment, smoking without chilling, i feel very held back at parties.
Quote by Aralingh

Dude, it was a joke...

Also, the point of a party is to fucking be social. I don't really like parties a ton myself (I'm an introvert), but I do really socialize when I'm at a party. If you're not participating, then you might as well just have some dude record the party on a video camera and send you the footage.
Quote by Aralingh

I'm sorry, I'm just busting your balls, and the only reason I'm doing so is to let you consider that you can have fun just for the hell of it, without some tagline of 'betterment' attached to it. Mind-body duality is fictitious and I don't heed much value to a mentally-stimulating vs physically-stimulating judgement, because the mind is the body, and the body is the mind (how else do we assess any stimuli?)

I say this because the way you describe yourself is a way I tried to describe myself in the past when I was truly unhappy. Now I am happy. And I jerk off plenty. It can be just as intellectually rich, but it doesn't always have to be.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Is an argument on fun really happening right now? You 3 are being a bunch of sillies.

OT Does this thread include if you were severely disappointed by later releases by bands or just how a band sounds live compared to their in-studio work?

I saw the band Devour The Day awhile back, who are a local band that have been getting a fair bit of attention, and they weren't anything special, but the amount of energy in their performance and how they played their songs all sounded excellent, but when I checked out their album it was extremely monotonous and generic.
Page 1 of 2