I have 2 basses - an Ibanez GSR200 that i put fender flats on and a yahama RBX375 5 string with rotosound 66's.

I bought both used, the gsr from a shop and I changed the strings.
the RBX off a private seller and I changes the strings on it from a mixed mess to the rotosounds.

At my lessons my teacher supplies a GSR300, all stock and bought new. Not sure the strings on it but probably what came with it (i can ask).

To my questions - the action on his bass is very low and that makes it easy to play. I want my guitars to be as low also, and as easy to play.

Do flats require more effort to press than regular strings?
other than going to lighter gauge strings does it make a difference?
It seems I have to press the strings on my guitar a lot harder than I do on his.

I can lower the action but then I get buzzing on the frets - I assume the 'fix' for this is to adjust the truss rod. My teacher said to give it 1/4 turn and wait and day and see how it feels, lower the action some, and continue this process. Is this the proper technique? Is there a better one?

Should a neck/fretboard be dead level/flat from nut to bridge, or have a touch of curve to it?
When you lower the action, does the fret buzz happen on lower or higher frets (or both)? If it's on lower frets, you need to loosen the truss rod. If it's on higher frets, you need to tighten it. Your neck should have just a bit of relief.

Read this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Action-on-a-Bass

You may also use heavier string gauge than your teacher. But first try doing the adjustments. If that doesn't help, buy lighter strings.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Dec 1, 2013,
happens on the lower frets.

is it standard which way to turn the nut to loosen/tighten? the GSR has the just at teh head the RBX at the bridge end of the neck
I would watch some videos. But you could just follow the instructions (turn it left) and see if the fret buzz goes away or gets worse. And I don't think you need to wait a day between the turns. Just turn it 1/4 of a turn at the time and you'll be fine. Check the buzzing after each 1/4 of a turn. It may not even go away with just 1/4 turn. Just remember to check it the next day too.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115