Hey guys,

So, Christmas is coming, and I want "Santa" to bring me a distortion pedal. Being a chili's fan, I was gonna go for the Boss Turbo Distortion. However, I remember being quite amazed by the Mooer mini pedals and was wondering what you guys thought I should go for. I've yet to try any of the pedals (Including the DS-2) for myself yet and obviously, I'm going to try em out myself and have a mess around. But I was just wondering what everyone else thought on the dilemma.

Would you go for the good ol' traditional Boss? Or would you maybe be different and go for the Mooer?

* Mooer have multiple distortion pedals so I would probably choose one that has a similar sound to the Ds-2/Chili's but they are cheaper!
boss is probably built better

the size of the mooers can be a double-edged sword- great if you want to minimise space, but you can kick the controls and it's hard to get them to not jump all over the place when you kick them

it'll depend on what pedal you want, too. i don't think mooer does a ds2 clone, for example. conversely if you wanted a crunchbox or ocd, boss doesn't do that.

i'd have to say i'd probably prefer the tone of most of the mooer distortions (based on the ones I've tried and other clones of the same pedal by other manufacturers e.g. joyo), but i wouldn't trust their reliability. whereas with boss their distortions are a bit meh (their ods are good, not so fussed on their distortions) but they just work and don't break that often.

the mooer rat clone is particularly good, if you ask me (the black secret). but it's not a ds2, either, so it's really up to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can't think of the name it now but isn't there a Boss or/dist combo single pedal stomp? They cost roughly the same but its a pretty cool, versatile pedal.

The thing that Boss does have going for it is their single pedals last forever.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
yeah and a 5-year warranty if you register them IIRC

OS2 is the one you're thinking of, I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah and a 5-year warranty if you register them IIRC

OS2 is the one you're thinking of, I think.

Yup, that's it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The OS2 is pretty cool, but I think I'd use the gain channel on my amp for crunchy/overdrive sounds. I'm really just interested in getting a dedicated distortion pedal. Those mooer's are really throwing in some complications into the decision making though. They don't half sound good!
I had the Mooer AC Booster clone for awhile, and it honestly seems like a super solid pedal, I had no issues with it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Don't get an OS-2 don't get an OS-2. What a waste of $80 I spent on that piece of crap. I hate it so much. Besides, that's not the one Frusciante uses. You're right, he uses a Turbo Distortion. The OS-2 is an OverDrive/Distortion. Almost as bad as the MD-2

My friend has the Turbo Dist. and it sounds awesome, way better than my OS-2. But, I guess you'll have to try it out. I just personally can't stand the sounds that pedal makes, while I can easily tolerate the Turbo Dist.

Sadly, I can't speak much about Mooer. Just...don't do the OS-2. Or at least try it out or something but still, it stinks
Quote by lucky1978
Can't think of the name it now but isn't there a Boss or/dist combo single pedal stomp? They cost roughly the same but its a pretty cool, versatile pedal.

The thing that Boss does have going for it is their single pedals last forever.

knobs on one of mine broke off, so I disagree. Would have sold it too, now it's completely useless, not because of the knobs but because I have no purpose for it anymore.

Thanks BOSS.
Knobs are broken? They're just standard sized knobs. And anyway, how did you manage to do that? The best thing about Boss pedals is the case and how it protects the knobs from errant Doc Martins. There has to be a story attached to this. You were using them as catapult ammunition perhaps?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Knobs are broken? They're just standard sized knobs. And anyway, how did you manage to do that? The best thing about Boss pedals is the case and how it protects the knobs from errant Doc Martins. There has to be a story attached to this. You were using them as catapult ammunition perhaps?

I think it fell over once, level knob got broke. Years later I stepped on the knob and both the level and reverb knob (it's a stacked pot) broke off completely.

It's an AC-3. That's why it's useless. I have piezos on my guitar that are 1000 times better than that pedal.
If you're tossing it away, toss it my way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you're tossing it away, toss it my way.

Probably not gonna happen.
1) Would cost me to ship
2) It was a gift, so it does have SOME value still to me, even though it's crapped up. Yeah, now that I think of it, probably wouldn't even sell it.

Doesn't mean I don't hate it now though. I tried to use it as an alternative to buying an expensive mic, interface, and acoustic (didn't have one at the time) but it sounds so horrible after I got a real acoustic, and my Variax allows me to get acoustics out of an electric anyways.
Last edited by Clay-man at Dec 3, 2013,
I'll pay the postage. I'd actually have a use for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Clay-man
Years later I stepped on the knob and both the level and reverb knob (it's a stacked pot) broke off completely.
Quote by Cathbard
I'll pay the postage. I'd actually have a use for it.

Hmm, probably still have to say no. Unless you can fix the pots, you'd have to deal with the set level and reverb.
Of course I'd be able to fix it, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Boss will always be classic but mooer is also good as far as im concerned
Mooer is not my cup of tea... I'm not amazed by Boss either but if I had to choose I'd go with Boss.

Keyword: Reliable.
Naw, that's ********** and their shitty Eno brand.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Don't they have their own brand now?

and yeah, neither is affiliated with each other (DD and MM). Yeah, sure. That's why I got an email from one when I'd only had dealings with the other.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm voting generally for mooer as the pedals they clone are usually great whereas boss are very hit and miss. You've kind of answered your own question however as if you want a frusciante tone then get the ds-2, you can't get any closer than the actual pedal he uses. I have owned around a dozen boss pedals before and don't really rate many too highly other than the two ds, the choruses, the loop stations, delay and the older pitch shifters and verbs. Their other distortions are absolute junk. I own the mooer rat clone and dlx electric mistress clone and they're both fantastic. I think the triangle buff sounds better than the newer ehx big muffs but not as good as some other clones. If you know exactly what sound you're looking for then pick from any brand but if you're newer to pedals and unsure then mooer cloned those pedals for a reason (don't buy that pitch shifter though)